Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:34 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Questions about Promenade Deck Staterooms

Can someone please list the pros/cons about these staterooms. I'm considering booking them for a future cruise, but I'm hesitant until I get some feedback. HAL charges more for them and I can't seem to figure out why because it seems to me it would have less of a view, is it because that deck is closer to everything?
Sponsored Links
Old November 26th, 2005, 06:54 PM
First Mate

If you like privacy, you might as well book an inside room. Everyone walking by your room will be able to see inside your room thru your window unless you close the curtains. Also the views are somewhat blocked. I would'nt book those rooms if I were you.
Old November 27th, 2005, 02:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cruise Guy
If you like privacy, you might as well book an inside room. Everyone walking by your room will be able to see inside your room thru your window unless you close the curtains. Also the views are somewhat blocked. I would'nt book those rooms if I were you.

That's nonsense!!!!!! - you can't see in even if you press your nose to the window.

Of course if you choose to have lights on all day (which you certainly don't need) people can see in. When lights are on, draw your drapes.
Old November 27th, 2005, 04:20 PM
First Mate

Wrong!!!!!!
Old November 27th, 2005, 07:28 PM
Familiar Face

We have booked a Promenade Deck outside room on the Volendam because my mother enjoys walking and my sister, also travelling with her, and who has no need for a balcony, does want 'daylight' without having to pay more for an outside cabin lower down. Even thought the view is 'obscured' when inside, our past experience indicates people cannot see in since the window has a mirrored reflective coating to prevent passengers seeing in. At night we close the drapes as an added measure.
Old December 5th, 2005, 09:08 PM
Welcome Newcomer

We have had several Promenade deck cabins on various cruises and never had a problem with people seeing in during daytime hours. We've tried hard to see into our room and were never successful. At night it's a different story and you must draw the drapes when the lights are on or it will be showtime in your cabin. If you are an exercise walker it's a most convenient deck to be on.
Old December 6th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

On our Alaska cruise we were cautioned by our travel agent who said some people don't like these decks because of the people walking by.
We chose it anyway and had no problems. We prefer having a verandah now but I would not worry about being on the promenade deck again. The outside access was very convenient.
Old December 6th, 2005, 10:31 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird
We have booked a Promenade Deck outside room on the Volendam because my mother enjoys walking and my sister, also travelling with her, and who has no need for a balcony, does want 'daylight' without having to pay more for an outside cabin lower down. Even thought the view is 'obscured' when inside, our past experience indicates people cannot see in since the window has a mirrored reflective coating to prevent passengers seeing in. At night we close the drapes as an added measure.
Don't understand your rationale - lower (than Lower Prom Deck) outside cabins are cheaper than cabins on Lower Prom Deck. The view is only 'obscured' and then only partially, if you are truly fore (at the front) of the ship. Lower Prom Deck is really the biggest verandah on the ship and is available to all on both Port and Starboard sides.
Old December 7th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Familiar Face

Suki was right, I erred. It was in fact a room on the Lower Promenade I booked and not the Promenade deck. Sorry for the confusion.
Old December 27th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Beginner

I just completed a cruise on the Veendam, lower promenade deck, outside cabin. The view was okay because my stateroom was near a solid bulwark or wall but you could still get a view of the water and sky and let the sun shine in. I liked it because it was in the stern and the dining room was just above and right outside you could walk the deck or sit on deck chairs as if it was your verandah. I happened to book this cruise as a guaranteed outside room and it was a good value. Hope this helps.