Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Beginner

Default Baggage search ??? !!!

We haven't been on a cruise for a long, long time... and it was Cunard. We'll soon cruise on HAL.

Someone just told me that our baggage will be searched when we embarked, and wine and liquor will be confiscated. Can this be true?

What are the rules?
Sponsored Links
Old December 7th, 2005, 11:46 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

For security reasons all baggage is now scanned through X ray. Wine is prefectly fine, and you can take that onboard in your carry ons. And they won't bother with liquor in your checked bags, though if you bring it on in your carry ons, they may confiscate it to return to you at the end of the cruise.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:27 PM
Beginner

Thanks, Kuki. That makes sense --- IF those 'checked bags' make it to our cabin.

So when we embark at the terminal, we "check" our larger bags, which are taken to our cabin. They're not bothered, and a bottle of my favorite scotch would be okay. We can roll-on our personal bags, which are x-rayed, and they can contain wine. Have I got it right?

Renewbie
Old December 7th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, we had the opposite experience on the Majesty in May. DH tried to smuggle on a bottle of Grey Goose, which I didn't know about at the time. We got all the way up to the metal detectors and were just about to place our carryons on the conveyor belt, when someone from NCL shouted out our name. We acknowledged we were the "Smiths" and were told, "Mr. and Mrs. Smith, there seems to be a problem with your luggage, could you please proceed back down the escalator and check with Security?" So we went back down the escalator and make our way over the the Security area. DH knew immediately what the "problem" was and opened the suitcase and took the bottle out. Security handed it to someone who worked for NCL and he told DH he'd get the Grey Goose back at the end of the cruise, which he did. Embarassing. Never will do that again!
Old December 8th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

I've always packed a flask of my favorite scotch in my checked baggage, inside a plastic zip lock freezer bag in case of spillage). Not that much, quantity-wise, and we always buy drinks in the various bars + wine with dinners. Never had a problem.
Old December 8th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Each cruise line handles it differently. We just went on the Liberty out of Fort Lauderdale and upon check in they had us open our small carry on. We had water bottles and a 12 pack of Pepsi. The security picked up EACH bottle of water and looked to see if the seal had been opened. Then she checked the ends of the 12 pack to see if it had been tampered with. We did see about 10 bottles of liquor on the table from passengers before us. We did check in early, about the 50th passenger so maybe when they lines got longer they were more lenient...??? Just our experience.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old December 30th, 2005, 08:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

JUST GOT OFF THE LIBERTY MYSELF NOV.20TH,WHEN WE CHECKED IN LINES WERE LOOONG,I HAD A CARRY ON THAT HAD WELL OVER A CASE OF WATER AND 14 16OZ,CANS OF(SIMILAR TOO) RED BULL,MY BAG ALMOST HAD TO WEIGH,80LBS,THE CANS WERE SPOTTED RIGHT AWAY IN THE XRAY,I JUST OPENED IT UP AND SAID REDBULL AND WATER THEY JUS SMILED AND I WENT RIGHT THRU,NOW MY BUDDY,GOT NERVOUS WHILE OUTSIDE,HE SWITCHED ALMOST A CASE AND A 1/2 OF BEER FROM HIS CARRY ON INTO HIS CHECKED LUGGAGE,AND IT WORKED,SO WHO KNOWS,EACH TRIP IS DIFFERENT,GREG
Old January 9th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Admiral

They are really getting nasty about this! I was planning on smuggling a bottle of tequila on the Statendam next April for our long far east cruise, but I guess I won't. Used to be for a slight premium, maybe $10/ bottle you could buy for consumption aboard in the duty free shop. I'll tell you what I think. If I pay them several thousand dollars for a cruise, I don't think it's any of their damn business what I bring aboard to drink. Maybe a limit of one quart of liquor per person or something, but this total prohibition is outrageous. :evil:

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 10th, 2006, 11:52 AM
First Mate

Agree with your comments but you may want to wrap plastic bottle with bubble wrap and leave in your checked luggage.It would be nice if the cruise lines would have more reasonable pricing on both mixed drinks and in particular better pricing on wine list in the dining room.My guess is that they would sell much more with pricing $15-$20 catagory and would make the wine stewards more happy with their automatic tip of 15%.Several years ago we were on Holland in which they had happy hr at the pool bar and it was amazing how much more they sold from 4to 7.At lleast they now have a martini special daily along with the drink of the day.
Old January 10th, 2006, 01:41 PM
Admiral

I was thinking about the plastic bubble wrap bit, but one of the posters said that they discovered booze in his checked bags, called him out of line and confiscated it! I think he said that was on NCL. Apparently they scan all bags now including carry on. I assume HAL does that now too.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old January 10th, 2006, 06:49 PM
First Mate

I also saw that post on ncl and I have not ever had any problem on any cruise linehowever have not been on ncl in several years. Holland in my opinion is the most lienient and you should not have any problem putting a bottle in your checked baggage .have a great cruise.
Old January 13th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Passenger

Please don't sneek booze in your luggage. The bottles can break, and not only get all over your clothes, but can leek into someone elses luggage. This happened to my husband. When he opened his suitcase, his clothes were all wet, and smelled to high heaven.
Old January 13th, 2006, 06:24 PM
First Mate

Please help me do a better job of packing.I will take my chances.
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:51 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to blarney

We usually take a bottle of rum with us. We have always been xrayed on HAL Celebrity and Princess but never had anything confiscated either from checked or hand luggage. I have purchased liquor an a number of islands and taken it back on board to take home and not had it confiscated. I have never been on Norwegian nor do I intend to if they treat people like that.
Old February 26th, 2006, 01:20 AM
Beginner

Have only been on HAL. Wine in luggage has not yet been a problem, will let you know though, going Mar 4th Oosterdam. Every time to port bottles have been taken and returned only last day of cruise.
Old February 26th, 2006, 11:41 AM
First Mate

They will confiscate bottles of booze in the various ports and recently saw this on Veendam in Dec.You can still bring wine on board at the various stops and if you desire it in the dining room there will be a corkage charge.
Old February 26th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Beginner

Default Bag Search

We were told the same thing and brought 2 soft sided coolers with winne, champagne and beer with us......delivered to our cabin with no problems. They even offer corkage in the dining room...$15 a bottle. We brough a magnum of champagne each night so, it was worth it to us.