Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Beginner

Default Obstructed View Cabin/Oosterdam

I am traveling on the Oosterdam 02-18-06 and found an incredibly low rate on a category H obstructed view cabin. I usually stay w/ an Ocean View, but I opted this category because it was so much lower in price. I realize I am not going to get a full view, but I was wondering if any fellow cruisers have been in such a cabin and if there will be light eminating through. It sure seems better than an interior and was about the same price as one. Any one who is familiar or has seen this category, please write back.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old December 29th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

The view from your cabin window will look into the side of a hanging life boat. OM
Old January 3rd, 2006, 03:56 PM
Beginner

I have stayed in the obstructed view cabing on the vista class ships (Zuiderdam/Oosterdam/Westerdam) in catagories G/H four times. I have never been disappointed as they are very nice cabins with plenty of space and a real bathtub. They are a great value. I have stayed in 4081 three times and I think 4083 once. Luggage can fit under the beds and under the foot of the beds you will find large drawers.

Go for it and have a great time!
Old January 5th, 2006, 11:51 AM
First Mate

Absolutely better than interior room.Have had this room many times and never been disappointed on any cruise line and as you stated normally will be a good deal.
Old January 8th, 2006, 07:32 AM
Beginner

I was on the 12/22/06 Zuiderdam Christmas cruise. We were in cabin 4102 which had an obstructed view as do most of the upper promenade deck cabins. Outside the floor to ceiling windows were eithor lifeboats or lowering devices for the boats. The windows let in plenty of light when you wanted light but if you wanted darkness you could close the heavy drapes. On Half Moon Key the tendor was in use so we had a full view of the island. When the tender (life boat) was in place you still could see what was going on outside. Our room was large and confortable with plenty of room to store suit cases under the beds. The room was exceptionally clean and our cabin attendendant quickly learned our preferances. The air conditioning worked better than it had in any cabin we have previously had. One point on the negetive, our cabin had a fridge which took up drawer space.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 03:15 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com
Default Cost Basis

You have only 16 Yes Only Sixteen Days left now so it must be great and exciting youall more now..

Having an obscured view which we have had quite a few times is ok since the cost basis is a lot less.. Will you really be in the room much ?? Your room staff is an important feature as it can make and/or break your paid vacation times there...

Have fun on board and try not to eat too much.

Old February 26th, 2006, 01:06 AM
Beginner

Curtains are very heavy in the room. Even obstuctive view you will get day light. This will be our 1st time in an inside ( I like day light) but don't spend much time in the room anyways. Hal is not that boring! It is what you make it! Enjoy
Old March 12th, 2006, 08:08 PM
Passenger

I think the most important thing when choosing a cabin is to know whether you would really use a verandah or want to have the windows open. We like a big view with verandah, so neither inside or obstructed view would make us happy. However, I have met many people onboard who hardly EVER stay in their rooms so it makes no sense for them to pay the extra for a verandah and extra space they don't use.