Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 18th, 2006, 04:44 PM
Beginner

Default Oosterdam Photographer Richa

On New Year's Eve, the Oosterdam Photographer Richa refused to take a picture of me and my two adult children saying it was "couple's only." Anyone else have this problem? In my 9 cruises, I've never been discriminated against by a photographer because I was not a couple! I worried that Richa would do that to some other woman who was recently widowed and ruin her cruise! Anyway, we got even! We didn't buy any pictures! If you go on the Oosterdam, please be warned that if you are not in a couple, the photographer may refuse to take your picture!
Sponsored Links
Old January 20th, 2006, 01:29 PM
Beginner

I have been on many ships, and quite honestly I think many of the photographers do have some "attitude". I will be sailing on th Oo on 2-18-2006 and if this "person" give me any trouble, I will tell her that she has a bad attitude and ought to seek employment elsewhere.

Have you reported this to HAL or put your comment on any comment card? THis may help.
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Visby:

Was the the line for pictures clearly marked? If it wasn't then I would have definitely made a comment on the comment card and if others have an issue they should do this and raise the issue with the photography desk and supervisor. The comment cards are read.

I don't believe a major scene or issue should be raised at the time other than getting the individuals name, there are others waiting for pictures but it does need to be addressed.

If the line was clearly marked then there may be reasons that they wanted to leave it as couple only but the photographer should have offered a quick explanation and made some sort of arrangement for you and your family to have a photograph taken.

Take care and I hope that everyone's next cruise is a great one.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old January 20th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Admiral

While I have never seen a sign designating who can and can't have their photo taken and can't imagine it happening, I humbly disagree. Even if their was a sign and I loved the background and wanted a picture of myself with my adult children, I would have persisted. No I would not have made a scene but I would have asked for the supervisor and resolved it. I am a paying customer on the cruise so I am entitled, whether partnered or not, to have my photo taken at any opportunity offered. What she experience was complete discrimination and humilation in front of her family.

While embarking on our Hawaiian cruise, they had a hula girl joining everyone in their pictures. Problem was she looked more like a hooker with her platinum blonde spiked hair so we politely declined her presence stating we only wanted a family picture. They started to protest but took the picture anyway. We saw the embarking pictures on display and no one was purchasing them, stating how awful they were with her in it. Had she looked more Hawaiian, more authentic, we wouldn't have made our request. Everyone has their reasons for the pictures they want. If the cruiseline wants our $, then they should listen to us. JMHO.

Teresa

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old January 20th, 2006, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA Cruiser
While I have never seen a sign designating who can and can't have their photo taken and can't imagine it happening, I
While embarking on our Hawaiian cruise, they had a hula girl joining everyone in their pictures. Problem was she looked more like a hooker with her platinum blonde spiked hair so we politely declined her presence stating we only wanted a family picture. They started to protest but took the picture anyway. We saw the embarking pictures on display and no one was purchasing them, stating how awful they were with her in it. Had she looked more Hawaiian, more authentic, we wouldn't have made our request. Everyone has their reasons for the pictures they want. If the cruiseline wants our $, then they should listen to us. JMHO.

Teresa
Really...since it's our pictures/our money...what is the big deal??

Anyway, that same thing happen to us at a Luau in Lahaina Maui. We politely asked for the pictures to be taken sans the non-authentic Hawaiian. They didn't like it ...but took them anyway...we were happy with the results and so bought some.

What is funny is that we ARE Hawaiians from the mainland. On second thought....It would have made a very interesting photo...A non-Hawaiian dressed as a Hawaiian...and us, Hawaiians dressed as tourist!! maybe we should have had it taken just for that reason!! ()

We will be on the Oo in a couple of weeks...we will look out for that Photographer...thanks for the warning!
Old January 23rd, 2006, 11:43 AM
Beginner

There wasn't anything posted, but I did talk to the front desk and put it on the comments card. Thank you for your suggestions and comments!
Old January 25th, 2006, 06:49 PM
Passenger

I agree that you were treated poorly. I have just one small thought that may have influenced the photographer's rudeness. Since it was New Year's Eve, he may have being trying to get through as many people as possible as quickly as possible. It could be that the camera was set at a certain distance from the background and only two persons would fit into the picture. Putting three people into the picture may have resulted in either an out of focus photo or perhaps cutting someone partly out of the picture entirely. Perhaps he did not have time (or just didn't want) to readjust his camera to accomodate the extra person. This explanation, of course, does not excuse the rudeness on the part of the photographer. It might be that he was just lazy or under pressure rather than being discriminatory. Hope you get an explanation and an apology from HAL.
Old February 2nd, 2006, 02:58 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

Yes they are servants. Or are they paying us? Talking with the vessels staff available to you should help...but with Carnival owning this fine line it may be futile as we have noticed the ASTUTE LACK OF SERVICE on Carnval owned vessels yet some room staff were the best we ever had on any voyages yet...

So it may be like life and love. What we all make of it...

Talking with the ships staff manager should help, as well writting Carnival in Miami FL about it may even get you a *WOW* maybe a Ten Percent discount on a future cruise.... thats from the list price...

Each line and unit is run differently so finding a method of improvement will only help the firm and us Paying Passengers out....

8)
Old February 19th, 2006, 06:42 PM
Beginner

Default Ooosterdam Photographers

We just returned from the Mexico cruise on Feb.18.
We found the photographers to be the worst of any cruise people that we have met. We were once told to "hurry up, the captains waiting" even though there were others ahead of us waiting for the captain. Photos were hurried and were seldom "keepers". We were dissapointed that we could not buy more that we did. Also, my wife and I were singled out on many occaisions even in the dining room on formal nights. Nice for them to sell two pictures instead of one but we like to be together. It's a very bad, bad, policy.
We heard lots of complaints about the quality of the finished pictures. Too many props in the photo and then junk framing the photo from some cheap photo prgram to try to enhance the image along with the name of the place where it was taken. The background showed the scenery but it was so badly bleached out it made it very unattractive.
Better get some photo staff HAL. Your customers find these terrible!
Old February 19th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Admiral

Default Cruiser Rob

Cruiser Rob we're leaving on Oo March 4th for the Mexican Riviera cruise...

How is the weather this time of year...and most importantly...how did you enjoy the Oo? (other than the photographer that is)

This is our first Hal cruise...and most of the comments about Hal and Oo have been very favorable.

Do to the comments on this thread ....we're ready for the 'famous' Hal photographer...but any other comments or warnings appreciated..

Forewarned is forearmed.