Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 2nd, 2006, 10:09 PM
Passenger

Default How is the Veendam

I have sailed on many dam ships and have liked the Rotterdam and Amsterdam the most. Also enjoy the vista class. I had a bad experience on the Maasdam and was thinking about going on the Veendam, its sister ship. How is it? Has it improved since Signature of Excellence? We had a bad experience and switched to Celebrity and have sailed 5 times with Celebrity since Holland America. I was wondering if they have changed any and whether I should give them another chance or stick to Celebrity.
Sponsored Links
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:20 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Obviously... this should be answered by someone who was just on the Veendam, but that is not myself.

I find the service on Holland to be pretty consistent across the board, so if you had a bad experience it was probably not a normal situation. I do not know what happened to you onboard, but if it was something you normally didn't get from HAL then I would think of it as the exception to the rule.

Just my 2 cents. Thanks
Old February 3rd, 2006, 03:45 PM
Admiral

We were on the Veendam in October and found nothing wrong with it. The food was good, crew fantatstic, entertainment very good and the beds were wonderful.

She has just come out of drydock and with all the SOE amenities I am sure she is even better. Flat screen TV's, air conditioning completely overhauled, Explorations Cafe, which we loved on the Volendam and many other things.

It's up to you whether you want to give it another try, but we have sailed on the Veendam many times and never had any problems.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 06:25 PM
First Mate

We just came off of Veendam last month prior to dry dock and we were told work out area to be totally enlarged and also the children,s area to be much expanded.No more free special coffees and lattes.With all the other upgrades to bring this ship up to other ships in the fleet am sure you will totally enjoy your cruise.Say hello to Gary asst cruise director from his Alaskan buddy.
Old February 11th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Beginner

My husband and I have been on the Veendam twice, in 2002 and 2005. In between these two sailings, we were aboard the Zuiderdam in 2003 and 2004. Both experiences on the Veendam were very pleasant, and while the ship is not as large as the Zuiderdam, we found the crew to be much more experienced and friendly, and the service in general to be warm and friendly compared to both cruises on the Zuiderdam (not that the Zuiderdam's experiences were bad - just different).