Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 19th, 2006, 05:21 PM
Beginner

Default Noordam-balcony categories

We have booked our first cuise on Holland and will be sailing from NYC in January. We currently are booked in a category VD room on the 4th deck. I have noticed since booking that there are oceanview rooms that are more $$ than our balcony room and am confused by this. I always thought balcony rooms were more than oceanview?! I would appreciate any advice on whether we should upgrade to a higher category of balcony room and/or different deck so we would not be disappointed. I would also like to hear from anyone that has taken a cruise on this new ship. Many thanks for any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Old March 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Admiral

Don't understand your problem. If an "Ocean View Room", which I think are the cabins on Main Deck without a balcony, are more expensive than your balcony cabin, why would you want to upgrade to a higher category?

HAL's web site is down for maintenance, so I don't know what you mean by an Ocean View Room - what category and deck are these on? The brochure does not list an Ocean View Room. Actually all outside cabins have a view of the Ocean.

We've been on the Westerdam on deck 8 (Navigation) in the same location that the VD cabins are located (that is in the aft section of the ship) and we loved it. Seems that it was quieter back there.

We will be on the Noordam in a few weeks, so I can check out the cabin you have booked, if you will give me the #.

I have never heard of "Ocean View" cabins being more expensive than balcony cabins. This is a first for me.
Old March 23rd, 2006, 12:05 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com
Default Balcony is Veranda

The rooms have Verandas. On the NCL they are called suites as they have a curtain seperating the sitting area.

HAL I just talked again with today too.

The real Phone Line for Shore to Ship or Shiip to Shore is on the Noordam
Voice:
011-874-324-602-821
FAX:
011-874-324-602-812

In the Booklet HAL sends ya it is Printed wrong and the Agents before gave us the wrong numbers... Is a need in Q C evident here...?

The Verandas are wonderful and larger than the norm in most ships.

Take the UpGrade and wit till later to pay in full as we rrwlly made a big mistake not booking the week of departure.

It is even today Thursday 2 days before getting underway in NYC 700.00 $USD less expensive than when we booked early as Holland America advertises to Book Early and Get the Best Prices..

Well I paid for all 4 of us and at 700.00 is not Chicken or Horse Feed..

When you speak with people after you pay all you have is Lip Services.. yes Chicken and Horse lips...
Old March 26th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Beginner

Just returned from the Noordam yesterday. I was in room 6036 cat. VB stateroom. Your stateroom will be exactly the same as this room only two decks lower. Loads of hanging and storage space. There are two drawers under the foot of the bed but thats it for drawers. The verandah had two chairs a foot stool and a small table. Beautiful for enjoying breakfast once you hit the carribaen. Do not worry about an upgrade. Deck 4 has the life boats but they are tucked away and will not interfere with your view. They would affect your view if you had an ov room on deck 4.You must have gotten a good deal because usually ov rooms are less than ver. rooms. The ship is beautiful. Leaving NY was a little rough at sea as was returning so bring meds. if you are prone to motion sickness. Hope you have a great trip.