Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 27th, 2006, 09:18 AM
Beginner

Default Didn't book shore excursions

I'm new to cruising and didn't realize you had to book the excursions over 10 days out online. So here I am a few days out with nothing booked. Can I book them on the ship? Will there be anything left?

Also the ship is overbooked and they have been asking for volunteers to sail at a different time. As my husband and I are in the military and this is our once in a lifetime, celebrating safely returning from Afghanistan trip we can't change our sailing dates - can they bump us?

Any help anyone can give me would be great. Thank you so much!!
Sponsored Links
Old April 27th, 2006, 12:34 PM
First Mate

Have never heard of anyone being bumped off of a cruise that has been paid for up front.As for tours make your reservations as soon as you get on the ship as the desk will be open at that time Sometimes some may be sold out but ther are numerous alternatives and if it is sold out of one you want you may be able to book something on your own at the port you are visiting and many times much cheaper .Find another couple or two desiring to do the same thing and share the expense.
Old April 27th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Beginner

Which cruise are you on????
We can probably give you some sites to book privately if we know the ports!!
Old April 28th, 2006, 06:47 AM
Beginner

We are on the HAL Rotterdam. Ports are: Athens, Varna, Odessa, Constanta, Istanbul, Kusadasi, Rhodes, Alexandria, Corfu, Dubrovnic. The main one I am worried about it Alexandria, Egypt. We have never been there before and really want to use our time effectively. Any suggestions?
Old April 28th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

Hi ladolcevita,

Usually the ship will hold some tour spaces for people who don't have the ability to book them online. If I were you, I'd go to the Shore Excursion Desk as soon as you board and see what's available.

Have a wonderful cruise, and thanks to you and your DH for serving us in the military!

May I also suggest that you wear your dress uniforms for formal night? You'll get lots of "thank you's" from your fellow cruisers!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:39 PM
Familiar Face

Even if the tours you want are totally booked, make sure to put your name on a "standby" list at the tour office desk.

Many times some passengers who have booked a tour choose to cancel for a variety of reasons.

In Kusadasi, don't miss the ruins of Ephasus. Also the BEST SHOPPING is in Turkey, so make sure you leave plenty of time to shop.

When our ship docked in Alexandria, we had the opportunity for an overnight tour to Cairo and the ship picked us up again in Port Said.

You will LOVE this cruise. We have been on the "old" Rotterdam 3 times and the "new" Rotterdam twice. It is a great ship with wonderful staff.

Enjoy
Slotl

Old May 1st, 2006, 10:44 PM
Beginner

Default Booking tours on the Ship

Oh yeah, you can book the shore excursions on the ship. On the day after you leave port they will have a presentation of the shore excursions. You can book them at the main desk. Although a few may fill up there is usually a good choice to choose from. You can also book the shore excursions on-line through HAL's web site.

BillC .....