Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 17th, 2006, 01:15 AM
Beginner

Default help with shore excusions

My husband presented me with an alaskan cruise for our anniversary. We leave sunday but have not booked ANY shoor excusions.

Some people have suggested that you can book them yourself in port... etc.

Any suggestions (through HAL or otherwise)?

Our ports of call:
Hubbard Glacier
Juneau
Sitka
Ketchikan
Victoria

TIA!!
Sponsored Links
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:38 AM
Beginner

We do not leave for Alaska until June, but we have booked all of our shore excursions already. I cannot speak for the quality as yet.

From what I understand, spend the big bucks and take a flight plane or helicopter tour. ( We are doing both-helicopter/galcier trek in Juneau and a float plane to the misty fjords from ketchikan). The cities get very crowded with cruise ship passengers and to see the scenery, you need to get out of the city. You can book through HAL or you can do it on your own. they are the same companies in most cases. It is cheaper to arrange on your own.
Old May 17th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Y2C

Check with HAL to make sure you can still book excursions. Since you leave Sunday some cruise lines have a cutoff for booking from 3 to 7 days ahead.

Be advised Alaska is a rain forest, booking your own and not be able cancel in the contract time because of weather the deposit might be lost. Helicopter and float planes are the most canceled excursions.

Hubbard Glacier is not a port stop, the ship sails in to view the glacier for a period of time.

Old May 24th, 2006, 05:34 PM
Passenger

We were there many years ago but I will never forget our helicopter ride and landing on a glaicer it was great. We booked this on the ship but if you can still book your excursion on line do it as this one sells out really fast. My daughter and her husband also booked on line and took the quads and the train to White's Pass and they loved it.

I hope this helps you.

Kathy