Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:37 PM
Beginner

Default NEW TO HAL

WE HAVE CRUISED BEFORE BUT ON OTHER LINES, SITMAR, CARNIVAL, PRINCESS, COMMEDORE, RCL, AND NCL. THIS TIME WE HAVE BOOK AN S CABIN ON THE VEEENDAM. I HAVE HAD BOTH KNEES REPLACED UNSUCESSFULLY AND HAVE TROUBLE GETTING IN AND OUT OF CHAIRS ETC. I AM WORRIED AVOUT THE LIFE BOAT DRILLS. I CAN GO UP AND DOWN STAIRS SLOWLY AND SIDEWAYS. ALSO FOR FOWMAL NIGHTS I WILL HAVE TO WEAR ORTHOPEDIC SHOES iS THIS GOING TO BE A PROBLEM? I AM NOT 60 YET AND WANT TO HAVE AN ENJOYABLE TIME
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2006, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Oh, you will love the S Suite and and all the amenities of it. We had one on the Volendam last year and just loved it.

So sorry to hear about your unsuccessful knee replacements. I haven't got there yet, but one of these days I will have to have one replaced.

When you get on board, go to the Front desk or speak the the gal in the Neptune Lounge and tell them about your problem. They will either excuse you from the drill or allow you to use the elevator. There is no way you will be able to walk down all those stairs to the Lower Prom deck, where they hold the lifeboat drill.

Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy yourself.
Old May 21st, 2006, 10:33 PM
Passenger

About the dress shoes...We just got back from the Alaska cruise on the OOsterdam. I too am under 60 and wear prescription orthotics in my shoes. I was worried about my inability to wear dress shoes. I got some black Nike walking shoes that would accomodate my removable orthotics, tied a fancy ribbon bow to the laces, added a sparkly hair clip and I was good to go. No one said a thing about my shoes and when I showed them to one of the ladies seated at our table, she was favorably impressed. Considering the rough seas we had the first formal night, I was really happy about my choice. Go, have fun, and don't worry about your shoes!! Also, the Neptune lounge concierges were extremely helpful with any questions or problems we had. Don't hesitate to make use of the service.
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:35 PM
Yeoman

my wife has a problem walking and what we do is leave a few early from the cabain and take the elevator down before they shut them down--

there will be absolutely no problem with your wearing special shoes

Old May 22nd, 2006, 06:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

In regard to the muster drill, the Cruise Director will give advance notice of when the drill will commence. Take the elevator to the deck of your muster station before the drill. This will avoid having to walk down the stairs.

For formal night you can always opt for black shoes, that accommodate your knees, and a long gown. Few will notice and if they do, what the heck, you need them.

Have a fantastic cruise and get the most out of it!
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 25th, 2006, 01:01 AM
Passenger

As my husband is in a wheelchair, notify the front desk first, they will assign a crew member who is monitoring your floor to escourt you to the drill. If there is an emergency assistance will be provided. HAL is very good about this.