Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 28th, 2006, 12:28 PM
First Mate

Default Just back from cruise on Zuiderdam

My wife and I just returned from the May 20th cruise aboard the Zuiderdam to Alaska. We are both in our 30's and participated in many of the activities. If you have any questions, we would be happy to answer them.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Sponsored Links
Old May 28th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Passenger

What kind of entertainment was on the ship? Was there themed nights were guests would dress up? Oh how was the food? Also what about the cruise directors? The reason I ask all these questions is because I will be on this ship as an assistant cruise director coming up. Thanks in advance.
Old May 28th, 2006, 09:05 PM
First Mate

Well, I am trying to write up a full review, but I will answer your questions as follows:

1) Over the course of our cruise there were 2 comedians, 1 singer, and 1 magician. Each of them was excellent and my wife and I enjoyed the shows greatly.

2) Other than the formal nights there weren't real themed nights for dinner. The night club did have theme nights for the music, but it didn't seem like too many people showed up for those.

3) The food varied quite a bit. I felt like food on Carnival ships is better, but it really depended on where you ate. The food in the Lido was good buffet food, the Vista dining room was good, but a bit on the bland side, and the Pinnacle Grill was excellent. I assumed that this was mostly due to having older cruisers on board, but all in all the food was about what I expected.

4) Our cruise director was Eric, but our cruise was his last prioor to leaving on vacation. He was replaced with the cruise director of the Oosterdam for the next cruise. We also had a lot of interacting with the cruise staff, Kerry, Ronin, Mike, and Tyrone in particular. They were outstanding! I know that Kerry and Ronin are about to reach the end of their contracts and will be going on vacation.

I found that activities to be a lot of fun. Things weren't as fast paced as on RCCL or Carnival, but we still enjoyed the activities. More than on any ship I've been on though, I noticed it was a core group of people who participated in everything.

For this cruise it was perfect and my wife and I were there to relax and just spend time together. If we had been looking for more of a party 24x7 experience we would of likely chosen a different cruise line.

I will try and get my review posted tonight though, and will be ahppy to answer any additional questions. Hope this helped.

Old May 28th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkey25
What kind of entertainment was on the ship? Was there themed nights were guests would dress up? Oh how was the food? Also what about the cruise directors? The reason I ask all these questions is because I will be on this ship as an assistant cruise director coming up. Thanks in advance.
HAL does not have theme nights like other cruise lines. If they do have them they are usually held in the Crow's Nest or the Night Club around 11pm. The only time I have seen people in costumes in the dining room is at Halloween.

Food is good to great, but as a staff member you will be eating all your meals in the Lido restaurant & although there is quite a variety there, no doubt you will be glad to get off in some of the ports and enjoy a meal off the ship.

Too bad Eric Dowis will not be the CD when you are there - he's a great
CD.

Have a super time and enjoy your job. You aren't Canadian, are you? The reason I ask is that the last few cruises I have taken, most of the cruise staff seemed to be from Canada, in fact one lives not far from me.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:04 PM
Passenger

DeeDee I am not Canadian, actually I am American. Thanks everyone for all the advice. I'm kind of confused now though because the person I am in contact with for my job says I need to bring costumes for themed nights, but I don't want to bring or buy that kind of stuff if I won't even wear it. Either way I am excited to be on the Zuiderdam beginning late July.
Old May 31st, 2006, 11:18 PM
First Mate

OK, I think I know what they are talking about. The cruise staff did dress up in costumes for some of the activities like the Liar's Club game and Zuiderdam Idol. That is the only thing I can think of on why they would ask you to bring a costume. Also, since the cruise director just changed, he might have some new ideas for activities.