Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:43 AM
Beginner

Default alaska 7/1/06

what do i pack
Sponsored Links
Old June 6th, 2006, 12:08 PM
Admiral

Clothes!

No seriously, you should pack clothes that you can layer as you never know what the weather will be like. It can be cold, hot/warm and/or rainy. Last week I had a note from the Zuiderdam and they said the temperature was only in the 50's - cold, foggy and miserable.

Make sure you take gloves, hat, rain proof jacket, one pair of shorts and long pants or jeans. Also good walking shoes are a must.....I wore my New Balance walking shoes during the day.

If you are on a 7 day cruise you will have 2 formal, 1 informal (jacket required for men) and 4 casual nights...........day wear is casual. Pack a bathing suit just in case it's warm enough to swim in the domed pool.

Any other questions, please just ask. Have a wonderful trip.
Old June 6th, 2006, 09:29 PM
Beginner

Thanks for the information.

I would be interested in any helpful information for the zuiderdam to Alaska 07/01/06.
Old June 6th, 2006, 10:03 PM
First Mate

What would you like to know about the Zuiderdam? My wife and I just returned from the May 20-27 sailing so we would be happy to answer any questions for you.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004
Old June 7th, 2006, 08:56 AM
Beginner

I would like to hear things we should definitely see or do. I guess just any advice you are willing to share.

How fancy are the 2 formal nights on a 7 day cruise?
Old June 7th, 2006, 03:27 PM
First Mate

I guess these are apparent, but be sure not to miss either the Tracy Arm or Glacier Bay. Both have some of the best scenery you will ever see. If you get up early and don’t like the cold, you can find nice chairs and a perfect view from the Crow’s Nest on deck 10. You may miss some of the wildlife this way though. I preferred being at the bow on deck 4 because it was much easier to see the wildlife.

The magician on board is great as well and his 2 shows should not be missed. His name is James Cielen, and he is on board the rest of the year. The comedians we had were also very funny.

My favorite tour was the whale watching in Juneau, but the glacier tours were very popular and got high ratings from our fellow passengers. The White Pass train in Skagway was cancelled due to an avalanche so I can’t comment on that, but we went to both the Ghosts and Good Time Girl’s Tour and Liarsville Salmon Bake and both were enjoyable.

There were 2 formal nights on board and one semi-formal. On the formal nights I saw that about 40% of the men were in Tuxedo’s, 50% were in suits, and the rest were in either sport coats or not dressed up. I wore a dark suit both nights and a sport coat on the semi-formal night as I am not comfortable in a tuxedo. The women were mostly in evening dresses with a few in nice pant suits.

One thing I wouldn’t miss is the Pinnacle Grill. Get a reservation right away when you get on board. They offer you a discount if you go on the first night, but you may not want to dress up after going through embarkation. By the way, go to the Pinnacle for dinner. My wife and I were able to go for lunch for participating in the cooking demonstration, but I found dinner to be much better.

Like others have said on these boards, bring clothing you can layer. The temperature changes quickly, ad the weather is variable. Also, bring some high quality binoculars, and keep them with you.

I think I have covered your questions. Please let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

Carnival Mardi Gras - July 1991
RCCL Viking Serenade - November 1994
Carnival Pride - September 2004