Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 9th, 2006, 09:14 PM
Beginner

Default Beware of Diamond Marquise in Mazatlan

We have just concluded a months-long ordeal with a merchant in Mazatlan who was "guaranteed" by HAL to be reputable. We were told that if we purchased jewelry that, when appraised, was not worth what we paid, HAL through an outfit in Florida called PPI would make it right. That is, there would be an adjustment or exchange to correct the problem.

Not so! The piece, a ring, was appraised at $600 less than we paid for it, and the merchant offered only a $200 adjustment, which left us out $400 not including the $150 cost of the appraisal. We repeatedly refused the offer, had our credit card company reverse the charge and begged for an address to which we could return the ring. This has been ongoing since November of 2005!

We just heard today from the credit card company that they are siding with the merchant, but there was no explanation as to why. As a result, we're stuck with a ring we paid $2,000 for that is worth slightly less than $1,400.

So, if you shop in Mazatlan, pick a different merchant and don't believe anything you're told by the "port ambassador," because the guarantee is basically worthless.

:evil:
Sponsored Links
Old August 9th, 2006, 10:43 PM
Admiral

Yes...we had an experience with a Jewelry store in Puerto Vallarta that the cruise line recommended. It was not HAL but RCCI...We bought a beautiful silver bracelet...high quality and expensive.

They offered to clean and wrap it for us. When we returned to the ship and opened the package...They had switched the bracelet with a cheap one.
The RCCI did nothing! We tried everything, wrote everyone...NO ONE cared or was interested. Never again!!!!

The shop was: The Galeria Indigera...

A Cruise Ships recommendations mean NOTHING!!!! The cruiselines get a percentage from the shopkeepers and bottom line...that's all that matters.

Sorry
Old August 13th, 2006, 04:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

I am curious why anyone would fork over thousands of dollars to an unknown merchant in a foreign country.(especially Mexico )
I have purchased goods oversea's but mainly in stores that are known throughout the world for "quality and reputation of honesty". I can think of several in Switzerland and the Netherlands that fall into this catagory.

Everyone must deside for themself what a"real bargain" is.

People research certains thinks so completely, yet are willing to give thousands of $$ to unknown merchants without hesitation.

Lets face it....buyer beware.
Old August 13th, 2006, 11:00 PM
First Mate

you need to purchase from a reputable store with offices in many different locations and also know the pricing before you start your bargaining otherwise you should purchase in the us period.
Old August 14th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Admiral

I think we act foolish sometimes because we're on vacation...we're relaxed and let our guard down...SILLY I know...

Another factor for us. It was our first cruise...and the shop was highly recommended by RCCI....we were so naive!

Not an excuse I know...but it won't happen again.
Old October 24th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via MSN to fl_tpa_1956male Send a message via Yahoo to fl_tpa_1956male

I would highly recommend you switch to coin sets, specifically uncirculated proof sets of U.S. Coins. We bought sets in the Early '70's. We paid $5 for less than $1 of coins. Thirty years later, they are worth....ta da... face value, that's right, less than $1. Over 30 years to lose 80 % value. Hmm, the burying in the back yard is looking better and better.

If you have a spouse that loves jewelry from you, to prove how much he/she loves you....I would spend $150 and have her/him appraised and maybe get my money back at that point.
Old October 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Beware of Diamond Marquise in Mazatlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mginabq
We have just concluded a months-long ordeal with a merchant in Mazatlan who was "guaranteed" by HAL to be reputable. We were told that if we purchased jewelry that, when appraised, was not worth what we paid, HAL through an outfit in Florida called PPI would make it right. That is, there would be an adjustment or exchange to correct the problem.

Not so! The piece, a ring, was appraised at $600 less than we paid for it, and the merchant offered only a $200 adjustment, which left us out $400 not including the $150 cost of the appraisal. We repeatedly refused the offer, had our credit card company reverse the charge and begged for an address to which we could return the ring. This has been ongoing since November of 2005!

We just heard today from the credit card company that they are siding with the merchant, but there was no explanation as to why. As a result, we're stuck with a ring we paid $2,000 for that is worth slightly less than $1,400.

So, if you shop in Mazatlan, pick a different merchant and don't believe anything you're told by the "port ambassador," because the guarantee is basically worthless.

:evil:
I have just read on another board about an unhappy customer using Diamonds International in Cozumel I believe it is.

the only time we have purchased much in the way of expensive jewelry was in Hong Kong and our appraisals for all pieces were much higher than what we paid, in one case, 3 times higher. Sure was worth paying for the appraisal. I think, from what I have been hearing lately, it would be wise to not purchase anything of value in the Caribbean or Mexico unless you really want it and can live with knowing you may not be getting a real bargain. DH purchased a watch in St thomas about 5 years ago; This $1000 watch can be found in the states for about 100.00 more. So, yes, he saved a little, but really not much. For him, it was just the idea of having such a nice watch, not how much he had saved. NMNita
Old December 14th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have a very good friend who is a certifed gemologist and owns a Jewely store in New York. He has told us never to buy any jewelry except from a store that you are very familiar with and trust with your hard-earned money.

He has told me some of the horror stories of items purchased on cruises by some of his customers who then bring the item to him when it breaks and he has to tell them first that it cannot be fixed due to poor quality of the item or that the item is not what it was represented to be and the value is a fraction of what they paid.

Save your money and but at home from someone you trust. Don't buy something that expensive on a whim.
Old December 14th, 2006, 07:20 PM
First Mate

You can purchase many items in the Caribbean at a real bargain however one must do their homework prior to the trip ie:various web sites selling a particular name brand including watches and cameras to name a couple of catagories.We have purchased numerous items over the last 30 years and have never experienced the previous stories.My advice would be to stay away from the off the wall stores and stay with those who have like stores all over the world not just because Holland stands behind as there are numerous reasons for this recomendation and this could be a whole new subject for discussion.Have done well in Mexico many years ago but cannot verify today,s situation.last year I was able to purchase a watch on the ship Citazen at almost half the price by bringing in a written quote from a local store In addition did extensive research on numerous web sites prior to the cruise.As you can do not buy on a whim Good shopping!
Old December 17th, 2006, 11:50 AM
Passenger

"Cruise line recommendations" are advertizing. This is well hidden until you read the fine print on the form you're supposed to use to register your purchases. PPI collects a fee from each merchant and requires the merchants to by ads in the glossy book in your cabin. The port shopping ambassator -- aka port parasite -- in not a cruise line employee, but a PPI employee. The deck is stacked against you. You can get bargins in the various ports, but cruise line recommendations are not recommendations, nothing but adds. Don't be fooled