Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:46 PM
Yeoman

Default Re: No Jeans In The Dining Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificHeights7
Please do not wear jeans on casual night. The word "casual attire" needs to be spelled out because some people don't have a clue. Tuxedos on formal nights, suits on informal nights, dress slacks or khakis on casual night.

Your jeans and sweater outfits may look smashing on deck during the day, but please don't wear that in the dining room.
Why not?
I don't see what the big deal is, if HAL is allowing it now.
I understand asking people to follow the dress code ... but since HAL's dress code has no longer listed jeans as forbidden, then people who wear jeans ARE following the dress code.

HAL does spell out "casual" in that the program lists no tank tops, shorts ... but has eliminated the "no jeans" rule.
Old January 9th, 2007, 02:54 PM
Passenger

Default Jeans on Holland America

If you want to look out of place, do so, as Holland is a classy ship, throw the jeans aside until you return home. Let,s keep it nice.
Old January 9th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Admiral

On our Amsterdam cruise last month there were several who wore jeans on the last night, especially those under 50. Though I would not, just because the line is "classy" as some say and I agree, if jeans are permitted and you feel comfortable why not enjoy be casual. Casual can still be classy.....NMnnita
Old January 9th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Passenger

Default Dress code on Holland America

Holland America had three formal nights and 2 informal nigfhts on our cruise and my son in law wore a shirt and tie on one of them, as he did not have a sports jacket, but had a tuxedo for formal nights and they were not going to let him into the Dining Room without the jacket but then thought well he did have a nice tie and shirt, so let him in, that is to show you how they stick to the rules and can,t blame them, keeps the ship classy, not like NOrwegian when people dress up and others so down, give me Holland America for sure.
Old January 9th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress code on Holland America

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelnut2
Holland America had three formal nights and 2 informal nigfhts on our cruise and my son in law wore a shirt and tie on one of them, as he did not have a sports jacket, but had a tuxedo for formal nights and they were not going to let him into the Dining Room without the jacket but then thought well he did have a nice tie and shirt, so let him in, that is to show you how they stick to the rules and can,t blame them, keeps the ship classy, not like NOrwegian when people dress up and others so down, give me Holland America for sure.
When was this? We just cruised the Amsterdam and on informal nights many of the men came to dinner in nice shirts and ties, without jackets or as one man at our table did: jackets but with a golf shirt and not tie. I don't think we are discussing here one cruise line versus another, that is for a different board, the subject is jeans on casual nights. NMnita
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: No Jeans In The Dining Room

Formal = tuxedo or dark suit.
Informal = dark suit or sports jacket with tie.
Casual = open shirt and slacks

People confuse Informal and Casual. Don't wear jeans on Holland America. It's an upscale line.
Old January 9th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Passenger

Default Jeans: Alaska Cruises Only

This has been stated many times, but I will reiterate it because the message seems to have gotten lost. The dress code has been relaxed for Alaska cruises and Alaska cruises only. If you’re going to wear jeans, go to the buffet, not the dining room. Show some respect for yourself and your fellow passengers.

Just because it doesn't specifically ban jeans in all cruise literature, passengers should use common sense. Would some passengers wear tank tops to the dining room? Yes, if they could get away with it and not be turned away. Would those passengers appear disrespectful to themselves and to their fellow passengers, yes indeed!
Old January 12th, 2007, 08:56 AM
First Mate

Just returned from the 19 day Cape Horn cruise on Oceania's Insignia, our first with Oceania. We were most impressed with the fact that two passengers were turned away from the Grand Dinning Room because they were wearing jeans. Oceania means what it says. Bravo.
Old January 12th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can tell you from first hand experience, that HAL does not strictly enforce the dress code. On our last cruise, we were with another couple and he showed up to dinner one casual night, wearing shorts. He was stopped at the entrance to the dining room and told he could not enter wearing shorts. His wife, annoyed at his attempt, went on into the dining room without him and so did we. We assumed he would go change clothes, then join us. Within a minute of us sitting down, he showed up wearing the shorts. He said all he did was put up a very lame protest and they let him in. The dress code on HAL is very loosely enforced on some ships. I think the level of enforcement depends largely on the itinerary and the ship.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 12th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Beginner

Hi, I will be sailing out of N.Y. in March when I am assuming it will be quite
cold. I wouldn't wear Jeans in the Dinning room, but I am considering wearing them on deck that first day. Any suggestions?
Old January 12th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Admiral

You will find many wearing jeans the first day, even when sailing out of Miami. I can't imagine why, but you will. Feel comfortable getting on the ship in jeasns. Of course it will be cool...

As for not wearing them in the dining room, as I have stated I wouldn't either as I am not a big jean person, but you will see them on casual nights. For those who haven't or think only the Alaskan cruises have relaxed the code they haven't paid much attention or haven't cruised HAL in the past 6 months. NMnita 8)
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Beginner

Thanks for your reply,
As for other dress code questions: is it acceptable to wear dressy capris
on casual night this was acceptable on Celebrity last year. What is acceptable dress for the informal nights. Thanks in advance for you help?
Old January 12th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Admiral

During informal nights, dresses or pantsuits for women and jackets (tie optional) for men are standard.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old January 12th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

What Irish Shark recommends is standard, capris will work as well if they rally are dressy and you wear a nice top. NMnita :