Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 12th, 2006, 04:48 PM
Beginner

Default Jeans in dining room?

Going on the Volendam next week. Are jeans ok in the dining room on casual nights?
Sponsored Links
Old August 12th, 2006, 06:36 PM
Admiral

I gather you are going to Alaska. If so then I understand that some of the ships are allowing jeans in the dining room on Casual nights. Dress code still holds for the Informal and Formal nights.

Just in case the Veendam does not allow jeans, I would take a couple of pairs of dockers are similar type of pants. Make sure the jeans are not torn or scruffy looking.

Have fun.
Old August 12th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Beginner

Thanks DeeDee. I posted this question on another board and it drew lots of responces.........from Jeans are not allowed (Holland Website) to Jeans are now ok. I guess Holland has changed it's policy so that Jeans are now allowed on casual nights. I know is a great shock to all the old farts out there, but a good pair of jeans with a nicke sweater or sport jacket is very stylish.
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by maui46
Thanks DeeDee. I know is a great shock to all the old farts out there, but a good pair of jeans with a nicke sweater or sport jacket is very stylish.
What defines an "old fart"? Stylish? Yea, for some rock and Hollowood stars.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old August 12th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Admiral

Maui To clarify my statement further, the "jeans allowed in dining room on casual nights", only apllies to Alaska. Just wanted to make myself clear. I doubt they will ever go for "jeans in the dining room" in the Caribbean, Europe, etc. etc.
Old August 13th, 2006, 12:22 AM
First Mate

Jeans may have been stylish in the old days however someone must have decided that this is not true today and I must agree that other pants bring much more class to the dining table as we we are not eating at a fast food joint or on the range.
Old August 13th, 2006, 10:34 AM
Admiral

Jeans are the style with nice sweaters or jackets: is it my style? Nope cause I am one of the old Farts, but they are in style, like it or not. As for jeans on intineraries other than Alaska, don't kid yourself, it is coming; again, not a matter of what we like, but we are living in the 21st century. I don't like shorts in church either, but I see them every Sunday. Just my thoughts on the subject, not that anyone really cares I am sure.

NMnita
Old August 13th, 2006, 01:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
Jeans are the style with nice sweaters or jackets: is it my style? Nope cause I am one of the old Farts, but they are in style, like it or not. As for jeans on intineraries other than Alaska, don't kid yourself, it is coming; again, not a matter of what we like, but we are living in the 21st century. I don't like shorts in church either, but I see them every Sunday. Just my thoughts on the subject, not that anyone really cares I am sure.

NMnita
When I was a kid...I'd try to get my Mom to change her mind about letting me wear or do something I know she'd disapproved of by say, "But all the other kids are wearing it/doing it". Her reply, "Well if all the other kids jumped off a cliff, would you do that too?"

Just because we can...doesn't mean we should!

In the Dictionary, under 'Lemming'...A person or persons who unthinkingly joins a mass movement...
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:51 AM
Passenger

We just got back from the Oo in Alaska and lots of people were wairing jeans in the dining room on casual night.
Liberty
Old September 8th, 2006, 12:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykkray
We just got back from the Oo in Alaska and lots of people were wairing jeans in the dining room on casual night.
What is this world coming to?

Here in LV don't even try to go to the upscale clubs or resturants in jeans. You won't even make it to the front door. These are not "old fats" clubs/resturants.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old September 8th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Yeoman

I heard people were wearing jeans in the dining room on the Noordam on its inaugural cruise ...
Old September 8th, 2006, 02:02 PM
Familiar Face

PLEASE NO JEANS !!!!! I'm no old FART either.
3 Holland America cruises
1 Celebrity cruise
Old September 8th, 2006, 09:52 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Jeans may have been stylish in the old days however someone must have decided that this is not true today and I must agree that other pants bring much more class to the dining table as we we are not eating at a fast food joint or on the range.
I agree with your opinion of Jeans and I only wear them in mid winter to keep warm, but they are very stylist right now; that is with the right outfit. Don't ask me why, I don't know but they are. NMNita 8)
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:03 PM
First Mate

MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL WEAR JEANS ALONG WITH THE WAITERS AND WE CAN MAKE THIS CRUISE VERY CASUAL AND HAVE BUFFET LINE WHERE WE CAN SEE HOW MUCH WE CAN JAM ON OUR PLATES.JEANS HAVE THEIR PLACE AND NOT IN AN UPSCALE DINING ROOM.GO UPSTAIRS AND CHOW DOWN IN THE BUFFET LINE OR WHATEVER.THOSE WHO WANT CASUAL NEED TO LOOK AT WIND JAMMER OR SOMETHING SIMILIAR.BETTER YET LOOK AT AN ALL INCLUSIVE WHERE ANYTHING GOES.
Old September 8th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL WEAR JEANS ALONG WITH THE WAITERS AND WE CAN MAKE THIS CRUISE VERY CASUAL AND HAVE BUFFET LINE WHERE WE CAN SEE HOW MUCH WE CAN JAM ON OUR PLATES.JEANS HAVE THEIR PLACE AND NOT IN AN UPSCALE DINING ROOM.GO UPSTAIRS AND CHOW DOWN IN THE BUFFET LINE OR WHATEVER.THOSE WHO WANT CASUAL NEED TO LOOK AT WIND JAMMER OR SOMETHING SIMILIAR.BETTER YET LOOK AT AN ALL INCLUSIVE WHERE ANYTHING GOES.
actually ALL inclusives; not anything goes: most of them now also have a dress code. The better restaurants require men to wear jackets and ladies nice pant suits or dresses. Of course these all inclusives, like ships, now offer several dining options, not just a dining room and a buffet. Those days are long gone. We all have to accept we are living in a more casual society than what we were raised in. NMNita
Old September 9th, 2006, 11:58 PM
First Mate

That may be but I do not have to like it.From the numerous cruises I have taken would have to say that Holland and Celebrity still maintain a certain amount of dignity toward the dress code and has nothing to do with the way we grew up.My point is that if the majority do not want a dress code than the cruises will make the changes however there are many who like the idea of a formal nite and those who do not might be better off trying carnival or another line where the dress code is not enforced or very lenient at best.
Old September 10th, 2006, 10:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
That may be but I do not have to like it.From the numerous cruises I have taken would have to say that Holland and Celebrity still maintain a certain amount of dignity toward the dress code and has nothing to do with the way we grew up.My point is that if the majority do not want a dress code than the cruises will make the changes however there are many who like the idea of a formal nite and those who do not might be better off trying carnival or another line where the dress code is not enforced or very lenient at best.
you are still missing the point: it isn't what we like, I do agree with you, but you can't say people who do not want to dress formally should find a cruise line that, in your words has less dignity. First of all, that is not always true, secondly we have to accept living in a changing world. NMnita
Old September 10th, 2006, 11:08 PM
First Mate

Why not run a survey on Holland or Celebrity on jeans in the dining room.Based on the poll several months ago on keeping formal nites You might be quite surprised.Jeans have their place and it is not in a formal dining room where the waiters and staff are also dressed in appropriatr attire..Am sure you would not go to a fancy 5 star eating place in your so called fashion jeans.Until the written policy is changed go upstairs and push your trey thru the bufet line where the dress code has no meaning or ambiance.As a matter of fact you can even sit down and be served on most lines.Ther are many dining places in thr US where you are not allowed in jeans and I hope the cruise lines will follow this trend.
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:40 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Why not run a survey on Holland or Celebrity on jeans in the dining room.Based on the poll several months ago on keeping formal nites You might be quite surprised.Jeans have their place and it is not in a formal dining room where the waiters and staff are also dressed in appropriatr attire..Am sure you would not go to a fancy 5 star eating place in your so called fashion jeans.Until the written policy is changed go upstairs and push your trey thru the bufet line where the dress code has no meaning or ambiance.As a matter of fact you can even sit down and be served on most lines.Ther are many dining places in thr US where you are not allowed in jeans and I hope the cruise lines will follow this trend.
I think I am about to let this drop cause we obviously are not making contact with each other. I agree with what you say about Jeans, I think there should be dress codes in many plances including ship dining rooms and church as a matter of fact. But I also realize I am not living in the 50s any longer. I may be getting up there is years and yet I see the world as it is today as well as the way it was a half century ago. those of us who are past 60 or 70 or whatever will not be cruising 25 years from now (some may) but the cruise lines are placing their money on the baby boomers and younger. These are the simple facts. NMnita :o
Old September 11th, 2006, 10:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDee
Maui To clarify my statement further, the "jeans allowed in dining room on casual nights", only apllies to Alaska. Just wanted to make myself clear. I doubt they will ever go for "jeans in the dining room" in the Caribbean, Europe, etc. etc.
I repeat - ONLY in Alaska do they relax the dress code.

Personally I find jeans too hot for the Caribbean and too cold for Alaska.

This is the last I'm going to say on it also.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:26 PM
Beginner

My two bits on this subject and the whole fuss about dress codes on cruises comes down to this - What is important? It doesn't matter what someone is wearing if they are kind. Life is precious, fussing over what a person is wearing at a table near you is just so shallow to me. Are they friendly, interesting to talk to? Thats what is important! I am a Baby boomer who has helped loved ones through cancers, Alzheimers etc. That is important. Just came home from our first family cruise and sure would have liked to not worry about what we all "had" to wear every night. I'm hoping the cruiselines do change and get out of the 50's. Which also brings me to the evening entertainment which is all so "gee golly over the top cheery". Hope cruiselines start to offer more variety.
Old September 11th, 2006, 12:37 PM
Admiral

If you want to know how hot this topic can get....go over to the 'Practical Advice' board....It's been discussed and re-discussed...interesting read.
Check it out
Old September 11th, 2006, 07:44 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNita
I may be getting up there is years and yet I see the world as it is today as well as the way it was a half century ago. those of us who are past 60 or 70 or whatever will not be cruising 25 years from now (some may) but the cruise lines are placing their money on the baby boomers and younger. These are the simple facts. NMnita
1. I also see the world as it is today.
2. I WILL be cruising 25 years from now, one way or "another" (IMO, heaven will be a cruise )!
3. I think you are in the "baby boomer" generation! (Maybe the first, but still there )
4. I will not wear jeans in the dining room until the cruise lines' say it's okay (and probably not even then, too hot!).

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old September 11th, 2006, 08:51 PM
First Mate

Default Jeans in dining room?

maui46

There is no use being judgemental, disrespectful etc. to older people by name calling. Exactly at what age do you consider someone an "old fart"? I know some 25-30 year olds that some consider as "old farts".

The people on this site are very considerate, courteous and helpful and try to give everyone a correct answer to their questions, and A LOT of them (old farts by your standards) have already been on more cruises than most of us will ever take.

crabbie1
Old September 11th, 2006, 11:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMNita
I may be getting up there is years and yet I see the world as it is today as well as the way it was a half century ago. those of us who are past 60 or 70 or whatever will not be cruising 25 years from now (some may) but the cruise lines are placing their money on the baby boomers and younger. These are the simple facts. NMnita
1. I also see the world as it is today.
2. I WILL be cruising 25 years from now, one way or "another" (IMO, heaven will be a cruise )!
3. I think you are in the "baby boomer" generation! (Maybe the first, but still there )
4. I will not wear jeans in the dining room until the cruise lines' say it's okay (and probably not even then, too hot!).
FErn, the way I look in Jeans I wouldn't wear them in the dining room anyplace except if the snow was a foot deep or the temps outside were in the 20s. Nope, not a baby boomer unless you consider someone born at the end of the depression a boomer: If I am sailing 25 years from now, God help those around me: (maybe in heavern) and I do believe even the HAL type of lines are catering to those much younger than us, certainly younger than me. Call me a "Crazy old lady" my daughters and granddaughters do (but in a kidding way I think) but I don't think all the griping in the world will change the minds of the top brass when they make up their minds.

this is for Gleeful: lots of lines do not have 50s entertainment, for me, that 50 generation is my memories. You may want to try some other line. NMnita :o
Old September 12th, 2006, 10:43 AM
Beginner

You Can Wear Jeans the First Night After Departure. From there on Slacks Only No Shorts in Dinning Room For Dinner
Old September 12th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Yeoman

Does anyone have any recent docs -- "know before you go" -- from a Caribbean cruise?
It seems to me I heard *elsewhere* that the newer docs eliminate the word "jeans" even for Caribbean itineraries.

I wouldn't consider packing jeans for a Caribbean cruise ... too hot! hot! hot!
Old September 13th, 2006, 10:30 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Cassandra

The only time you could get away with jeans regardless of where you are in the world is the first night b/c everyone doesn't have their luggage yet and the last night because all your clothes are packed away.
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:34 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Not going to comment on what might be right or wrong.

But the fact of the matter is I've never seen anyone turned away from the dining room on non formal evenings because they were wearing jeans.
And I've seen people wear them on all the lines from Carnival to Regent Seven Seas and Seabourn.
- The Kuki Side of Cruising-
A new Blog post every Wednesday
http://www.cruisemates.com/blog/author/kuki/
Old September 15th, 2006, 01:54 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuki
Not going to comment on what might be right or wrong.

But the fact of the matter is I've never seen anyone turned away from the dining room on non formal evenings because they were wearing jeans.
And I've seen people wear them on all the lines from Carnival to Regent Seven Seas and Seabourn.
Kuki, I have on both NCL and Celebrity. NMNita