Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 17th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Massdam,,,good, bad, ugly?

We are leaving next week on the Canada/New England cruise on the MS Massdam. I have read recent reviews from other passengers (as new as April) and as one would expect the reviews go all the way from a beautiful ship with outstanding food, to the thing should be used for target practice by some country's navy. So its too late to back out now anyhow, but does anyone have insight as a recent visit on this ship?

I have only cruised once with HAL in Alaska and had a wonderful time.
Sponsored Links
Old August 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Admiral

All I can say is relax, you can read the negatives on any ship, hotel, restaurant. There will always be those who take the small things and build them into gigantic things.

The one thing we all have to remember and it is hard: cruising isn't like it was 20 years ago or even 10. Food isn't as gourmet, some of the fun activities we all miss are gone and the service isn't quite like in years past. Most of the mass marketed lines are about the same, each does have a nitch, but in reality they are pretty much alike. It is still a great way to see a lot in a short time and is a value when you consider what you get for your money.

NMNita
Old August 17th, 2006, 11:15 PM
First Mate

Excellent comments about cruising today versus those from 20 years ago.Would like to add that the price of a cruise today is less than those we took inthe70,sOn the otherhand the service then was outstanding with meals being prepared at your table and we dressed every night in formal or suits even in the caribbean.Things have changed and not necessarily for the better in this industry.Holland has always been a class act and they have continued their leadership in those areas which are important to most cruisers which include food and service along with a staff that makes you want to return to their ships and my guess would be that they are number one in return passengers on the main line cruises.have never been dissappointed on any holland ship and with 110 days we are a baby with this line.
Old August 18th, 2006, 12:21 AM
Beginner

We (and 8 friends) enjoyed Canada/New England last season on the Maasdam. We would do it again in a heart beat. The ship isn't brand new but it was wonderful and the staff was excellent. The HAL experience was 1st class as always and the itinerary great.

Relax, let the crew pamper you and enjoy your vacation! I only wish we were on board with you!
Old August 29th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

The ship has been in dry dock and is newly refurbished throughout. It was one of the most elegant ships I've ever been on.
Old August 29th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

I read reviews and often comment on them but I also take them with a grain of salt: remember, it is easier to write a bad review than a good one:we all expect to have a wonderful time so rarely think of saying how great it was, but if things go wrong we can't wait to remember the bad and let everyone who will listen know about it. We did the Zenith in Dec, I wrote a pretty possitive review and we did have a good time, but if I had been a 1/2 empty person you wouldn't have wanted to even see her cause there were lots of little concerns we had. I have been on this earth long enough, married long enough (48 years today) and cruised enough plus been a TA long enough to pick the real challenges versus the nit picking. About 75% of all complaints are either groundless or not worth mentioning. NMNita
Old September 1st, 2006, 09:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

I can honestly say the service aboard the Celebrity fleet is every bit as good today as it was when we sailed the Meridian when the line was created from the old Chandris Cruises many years ago.
As far as food, yes the quality and selection on most all cruise lines had continued to decline.
As the demographics change for cruisers(you average joe doe cruises) the demand for more fancy and "formal" type cusine has declined.
Cruiseline budgets have been cut in the food dept.( by bean counters) and also food tastes and fads have altered demand.