Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old August 24th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Today show on cruise ships this morning.

The "Today Show" was debunking myths about travel. They were saying how cruise ships price includes 3 meals and your room. Everything else you have to pay for. Well i've been on one cruise ship line Carnival and taking HAL's Noordam next July to Alaska inner passage. If it's just your 3 meals these meals must last all day. I've never seen so many places to eat and open all the hours we were awake (around midnight). "today Show" host said you had to pay for ice cream cones. Well Carnival had a ice cream machine where you get ice cream any time you want.

My question is: Is HAL any different? Do you pay for ice cream cones and can you get food anytime you want for free? I was always full after our meals, but my husband gets food at different times. Always thought that's why people take cruises was for all the food and eating all the time. AT least what they are known for. Rest, relaxation and food, seeing places you never seen.

I'm a little disappointed this cruise line will have just as many children on it. If I was taking children on a cruise I take the Disney cruise line. That one is awesome with the time at Disney World and then their own island. Why would you want to take them on a Holland ship when you can take Disney? Do Holland when you are older without your children. Sorry got off the subject. It's not rated for families like some of the others are. I did study Holland line before booking, and read how it's for the older stuffy group and that about it not being rated for families. I know, take it when the children are in school. Well, we took Carnival in January and it had children on it so that idea doesn't float.
Sponsored Links
Old August 24th, 2006, 02:42 PM
Yeoman

i guess somebody should debunk the today show-- on hal you can eat anything that isnt nailed down -- in addition to the 3 meals in the d/r- there is the lido buffet that is also open for all3 meals- on the lido deck in the afternnoon there are hamburgers -franks pizza -tacos etc -- in the lido there is free ice cream and toppings -- before dinner there are snacks in the crows nest and other bars -- there is a late buffet and if that isnt enough food there is also 24 hr room service and its all free--- your husband will not go hungry

what makes you think there will be as many children on board as a disney cruise---it is summer and there will be kids but let me assure you it will not be like a disney cruise children wise

Old August 24th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Admiral

3 meals + your cabin???? You've got to be kidding! There's all kinds of food everywhere and you have access to it anytime...

My son recently went on a cruise and said, "I left on this cruise as a passenger and returned as cargo!" (he had gain about 5-7lbs !!!)

I agree with lougee1043....someone needs to cruise on the Today show BEFORE they do a story on crusising!
Old August 24th, 2006, 04:17 PM
Admiral

Yes, ice crem is FREE on all HAL ships. Some cruise lines do charge for it but not HAL.

I don't understand why you think people should wait until they are older to cruise on a HAL ship to Alaska without their children. This to me is ridiculous. There is just as much to do and see on a HAL ship to Alaska as there is to the Caribbean on a Disney ship. I know many people who take their children/grandchildren to Alaska and they've loved it. I'm planning on taking my 14 & 12 year old grandchildren to Alaska next year.
Old August 24th, 2006, 05:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for your quick responses and I thought this be the case. Someone does need to debunk the travel guy on the Today show. He usually is very informative, but I just thought this was wrong. I know you pay for your drinks, soda and so forth, some things like the spa, but I just think he wasn't very informative this time.

DeeDee you don't think your grandchildren would have more fun on Carnival Valor with a water slide, or Royal's ice skating ring and rock climbing wall, a cinema. I know HAL shows movies, but I understand it's not like the old cinema. Your grandchildren are older than what I was thinking, but I wonder if they meet more their age on other ships. As you can see we will be new cruisers on HAL, but the picture of the pool looks luxurious and not a place to horse around. The picture makes it appear not to be very big (the retractable roof one). Of course, i've been reading and studying Noordam, I have no idea what the other HAL ships have. Only experienced Carnival ships.

Why does all the pictures of the other pool on Noordam look like it's turning green? Is it a yellow design in the tiles? I've looked at several and decided it must be a yellow pattern in the tiles.
Old August 25th, 2006, 08:46 AM
First Mate

HAL offers Club HAL for different age groups of children. I've read many places that it offers some wonderful activities and the kids enjoy it. But, as the other posters stated above, you will not find as many kids on HAL ships as Carnival or Disney. On the other hand, it's also not an *old fogeys* line
Old August 25th, 2006, 09:50 AM
Admiral

No, Dianeisme - I don't think my grandchildren would enjoy Disney over HAL. We have travelled HAL for many years and this will be their 5th time on HAL - they have previously sailed to the Caribbean with us and their folks. They love it and have had a great time at Club HAL.

The mid-ship pool is quite large and this is where they spend their time with the friends they meet on board. The Vista ships also have The Loft, where adults are "not allowed". They also have their own game room & computer room. They can't wait to go next summer on the Zuiderdam.

If this is your first HAL cruise, don't knock it until you've tried it. I do hope you will enjoy yourselves.

By the way, what do you mean by "old cinema"? The Vista ships show recent movies in the Queen's Lounge and the other HAL ships have a designated theatre where movies are shown. Also all staterooms have flat screen TV where "old movies" and old sitcom's are shown. The kids love watching these.
Old August 25th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Admiral

[quote="Dianeisme313"]Thank you for your quick responses and I thought this be the case. Someone does need to debunk the travel guy on the Today show. He usually is very informative, but I just thought this was wrong. I know you pay for your drinks, soda and so forth, some things like the spa, but I just think he wasn't very informative this time.

DeeDee you don't think your grandchildren would have more fun on Carnival Valor with a water slide, or Royal's ice skating ring and rock climbing wall, a cinema. I know HAL shows movies, but I understand it's not like the old cinema. Your grandchildren are older than what I was thinking, but I wonder if they meet more their age on other ships. As you can see we will be new cruisers on HAL, but the picture of the pool looks luxurious and not a place to horse around. The picture makes it appear not to be very big (the retractable roof one). Of course, i've been reading and studying Noordam, I have no idea what the other HAL ships have. Only experienced Carnival ships.

Why does all the pictures of the other pool on Noordam look like it's turning green? Is it a yellow design in the tiles? I've looked at several and decided it must be a yellow pattern in the tiles.[/quote

HAL is not for old fogies, this is a classy cruiseline...but it is NOT geared for children or young teens in style or entertainment. We LOVE Holland America...but even at our ages (upper middle) we noticed a more sedate cruise...which is nice...but things do close down early on board...in comparision to RCCI or even Celebrity. Seems in general, passengers turn in a little early.

This is not to say you won't have fun...but you should know there is a big difference between Carnival, Disney and HAL when it comes to entertainment and activities for young people.
Old August 25th, 2006, 02:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

We're in our early 50's, classy & sedate sounds nice. It sounded like they have the late nite buffet.

I haven't been on Disney just Carnival Paradise and Valor. It is our first HAL cruise.

My husband was checking all the ships with cruises to Alaska and picked Hal's Noordam.
Old August 25th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianeisme313
We're in our early 50's, classy & sedate sounds nice. It sounded like they have the late nite buffet.

I haven't been on Disney just Carnival Paradise and Valor. It is our first HAL cruise.

My husband was checking all the ships with cruises to Alaska and picked Hal's Noordam.
If classy and sedate sound good, then you can't go wrong with HAL. For us...it's perfect!

BTW: Don't get me wrong...HAL is NOT boring!...It's just sedate in comparison with Carnival But then...which cruiseline wouldn't when compared with Carnival????
Old August 25th, 2006, 11:10 PM
Admiral

How bout entertainment, daily activities, lectures, wine tasting (yes, there is a small charage) etc. I get a little tired of sensationalism and let's watch and see? I don't believe too much of what I see: to me we get quite a bit more then just 3 meals and a room. As for kids and cruise ships: all lines will have more kids during the summer, but HAL will not be over run with kids even in July. Hopefully you will find a mixture of ages and interests, but lots of kids, no, not like RCI< NCL and a few other lines. NMNIta
Old August 26th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Thank you for the replies. I'm getting the idea. I've only been on Carnival ships in January both times, so this is a new experience for us. We are looking forward to our experience and enjoyment on the Hal ship Noodam. Looking forward to seeing Alaska too.

I've gotten a lot of information on these message boards.