Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 22nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Default The new pinnacle grill menu

Please note that the Pinnacle Grill surcharge will be USD $30.00 per person as of October 1st, 2006.

Reasons for the change of price are increasing costs as well as additional Daily Specials that we will offer together with our current menu.

As previously communicated by Steve Kirsch to the ships, listed below are the specials for the Pinnacle Grill, which will be going into place starting October 1st.

Tequila shrimp and avocado ceviche
Rack of veal with roasted vegetables and thyme glaze
Tiramisu flavored panna cotta with passion fruit sorbet

Grilled sea scallops on sautéed leek with fresh herb salad and fried capers, marjoram pomodoro coulis
Chef Rudi’s filet mignon with a green peppercorn demi sauce
Vanilla soufflé with a Grand Marnier sauce

Spicy tuna sashimi – sesame oil, sambas and Sake seaweed salad
Grilled breast of rosemary-enhanced chicken with mushroom risotto drizzled with truffle oil
Poached pear with an Italian mascarpone cream

Warm Maine lobster salad with asparagus and pink grapefruit
Peppercorn crusted monkfish on braised fingerling potatoes, mustard vinaigrette
Chef Rudi’s chocolate toque

Grilled romaine salad, gorgonzola, five spice candied walnuts, Asian pear vinaigrette and port syrup
Pan roasted Alaskan black cod with steamed yucca and orange cumin sauce
Northwest pear and pecan nut bread pudding

Butternut squash soup with caramelized apple and fried sage
Grilled diver scallops with orange leek marmalade
Frozen soufflé glace grand mariner with fig compote

Smoked salmon tartare with grilled asparagus
Rack of veal with roasted vegetables and thyme glaze
Chocolate wafer tart anise crust

With these new culinary additions we will also offer some very nice wine flights for purchase that will concentrate on WOW, Wines of Washington. Some sample wine flights of Chardonnay will include Chateau St. Michelle, Chateau St Michelle Canoe Ridge, Reserve Argyle, Tualatin Estate and Apex. Or Pinot Noir wine flights, offering Van Duzer, King Estate Domaine, Williamette Valley, Behran and Sokol Blosser.

We will, of course, honor all already confirmed reservations for USD $20.00 that were taken for the time after October 1st 2006, all future reservations that are taken for the time after OCT 1st 2006 must reflect the new pricing.

Old September 22nd, 2006, 07:25 PM
First Mate

just another example of lowering the standards in the dining room and encouraging more spending elsewhere. actually, i usually get a pinnacle dinner perk on cruises, but never have i ever seen the pinnacle full or even nearly so. last cruise on the noordam in the med, it was sort of lonely dining up there. on one cruise a couple of years ago, the pinnacle was like an italian funeral home for dinner -- all we needed was the body of little chickie narducci to be rolled in. keep your thirty bucks.
Old September 24th, 2006, 04:07 PM
Passenger

I agree. I don't know what the Pinnicle Grill's original prices were, but $60.00 for dinner for two plus tip is ridiculous. Keep in mind you are giving up your dinner in the regular dining room. Let's say that has a value of $15.00 per person. That really makes the Pinnicle Grill $45.00 per person and that does not include wine. I beleive they have priced themselves out of what people will pay for a special meal.
Old September 25th, 2006, 02:53 PM
Yeoman

I like seeing something new, though, instead of the same old, same old.
Old September 27th, 2006, 04:22 PM
First Mate

nothing here to tempt me. I preferred the dining room over the pinnacle even when you could get 1/2 price for the first night so we won't be dining there in the forseeable future.
Old September 27th, 2006, 06:51 PM
First Mate

The way they are going with the pricing you are going to see even fewer in the Pinnacle and only those who have paid suite pricing will attend.On my last two cruises have noticed almost every nite there are plenty of tables in this diningf room.It appears they are pricing themselves out of the majorityHave also noticed that there are more perks by the travel agents which include a nite in the Pinnacle at no charge.Am sure more and more to come.Good marketing will get some new customers just like the happy hour pricing on drinks by the pool on one of our former cruises and am not talking about the drink of the day.
Old September 27th, 2006, 07:14 PM
Admiral

I am not certain the 1/2 full restaurant has much to do with pricing, but more to do with having enough wait staff. At least this is the situation often on NCL. They can only handle x number because they want the service to be impecable (spelling) and they only have so many they can pull from other places to service the specialty restaurants. NMnita 8)
Old September 27th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Admiral

We just had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill (Veendam) on Sunday. It was pretty good but not great by any measure. This was our fourth Pinnacle Grill experience. (Zaandam, Oosterdam, Amsterdam & Veendam) Service was fairly good and the food was fairly good. In neither category was it great as compared to the land-based restaurants we frequent regularly.

We generally like the "upscale" restaurants on most lines but H.A.L. has not yet shown us any level of greatness. We will probably not try P.G. a fifth time.
Old September 27th, 2006, 11:12 PM
First Mate

Disagree as they will take many more reservations and staff accordingly with the charge as much as $30 plus a very overpriced wine list.The food is good but not any better than a good restaurant at home.Am much more impressed with the alternative restaurants on Celebrity where the dining experience is well worth the extra charge.
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by big apple
Disagree as they will take many more reservations and staff accordingly with the charge as much as $30 plus a very overpriced wine list.The food is good but not any better than a good restaurant at home.Am much more impressed with the alternative restaurants on Celebrity where the dining experience is well worth the extra charge.
They are following the trend of many other lines that have now increased to $30 per person, all I can say is that the new menu had better be worth it, $60 additional isnt small change, as for wines, its like most restaurants, the wine lists is always overpriced
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:43 PM
Admiral

I think this is one time I would just as soon pay the corkage fee. The wines are getting totally out of line. NMnita
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:44 PM
First Mate

Have been to numerous good restaurants in my home town where wines have been priced in the $15-20 and a very good selection. My point is that they should have some of these in that range and see what the reaction is instead of putting to us with the numerous overpriced wines that in many cases are not that great.
Old October 1st, 2006, 11:54 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Have been to numerous good restaurants in my home town where wines have been priced in the $15-20 and a very good selection. My point is that they should have some of these in that range and see what the reaction is instead of putting to us with the numerous overpriced wines that in many cases are not that great.
I couldnt agree with you more
Old October 2nd, 2006, 11:20 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcorey
Quote:
I couldnt agree with you more
Me either: a couple of years ago you could find pretty good wines on ships for about 18-21.00; then they started at $22 or so and went up; now to find anything much under $28 is impossible. That is a heck of a lot of money for many of us, not only is it more than we may want to spend, it is 3 to 4 times what you would pay in a store. I prefer not to pay $30 plus 15% for a bottle I can get at home for $6.00 to $8.00. Now, of course we have to worry about the corkage fee exculating to $20 or more. No win situation I fear.....Nita
Old October 3rd, 2006, 11:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

No way is it worth $60 to dine in the PG. The menus are monotonous and the specials don't look all that specialt to me. I'll just eat in the DR thank you very much
Old October 4th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Passenger

Just home from Alaska on the Ryndam and I have to say that my biggest disappointment on HAL was the food. Not in every category (meats were good quality and well prepared) but especially where fresh eggs, butter and cream should be evident, ie. desserts and soups... they were sadly disappointing.

I lived for 7 years in S.E. Asia, so I loved the Indonesian and Filipino crew... however, the desserts were reminiscent of a buffet you would find at a hotel in Jakarta, and I expected better. Where was the indulgent richness that one would expect while cruising? Guess I should be happy that I didn't gain weight this time, but HAL ranked lower overall on food than my previous 4 cruise experiences even though it was, by reputation and size, the best cruise line of the bunch.
Celebration, Western Caribbean, Feb. '99
Island Explorer, Spice Islands Indonesia, July '97
Dolphin IV, Bahamas, '91/'92
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

This is very disappointing news as I liked the old menu. Myself and another couple would check the dinner menu posted outside the dining room in the morning and if nothing caught our eye we'd head over to PG and make a reservation; there was no need to do this as the PG was nearly empty both times we dined there which made the service pretty good.

I still think 30 bucks is a pretty good price considering all you get which would cost well over 100 bucks per person at a 4 star restaurant on land. I think I'd be willing to try out the new menu at least once.
Old October 8th, 2006, 07:42 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to AAAAmerican.Com

Here in the Greater NYC Area I thought it was expensive.

Knowing owners of 5-6 star places gets us nice tables and times but WOW* Too much pricing there in WA and Seattle

On the ship since youve already paid for your food the aded cost is paying lets say for Prime Meats.. but on cruises that used to be par.. somone does have to pay for the ships.. Yes the Cruise Guest..

Food to me is an imporatnt part of the Cruise as I do not Gamble , Drink much alcohol ( I drink more Dr Pepper and Root Beer) and the places I have been how many times can you go the same same places ... but the Ship is also important and meeting the Cullinary staff Chefs Hotel Mgr etc..

HAL has one of the best food services departments for Mass Marketing.. But did anyone ever notice that HAL has not the TV Ads yet ? DO they in your area?

CCL does here and NCL (Star)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by seattleguy37
This is very disappointing news as I liked the old menu. Myself and another couple would check the dinner menu posted outside the dining room in the morning and if nothing caught our eye we'd head over to PG and make a reservation; there was no need to do this as the PG was nearly empty both times we dined there which made the service pretty good.

I still think 30 bucks is a pretty good price considering all you get which would cost well over 100 bucks per person at a 4 star restaurant on land. I think I'd be willing to try out the new menu at least once.
Old October 10th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Admiral

Now that you mention it...no TV ads for HAL in our area for a long time...hummmmm
Old October 11th, 2006, 07:03 AM
Cruise Maniac

I guess your lucky to have such inexpensive fine dining in New York.
Old November 6th, 2006, 06:02 PM
Beginner

For clarification (have never been on HA yet but planning to go in 2008) when you go to the Pinnacle Grill, are you limited to only one choice for your $30? I have heard that you can usually order multiples of appetizers/sides or entrees in the dining room (service permitting) for the inclusive price. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that a meal might be worth $30, but do they give you the same latitude as in the main dining room or is it a prix fixe situation?
Old November 6th, 2006, 07:55 PM
First Mate

You can order as many items as you so desire however I do not think you wold do this in a first class restaurant at home would you?Some people will order a couple of appetizers and the same with the dessertsThis is a first class presentation and some of the best severs going and you will definitely be glad you made the reservation.
Old November 6th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by stingrae
For clarification (have never been on HA yet but planning to go in 2008) when you go to the Pinnacle Grill, are you limited to only one choice for your $30? I have heard that you can usually order multiples of appetizers/sides or entrees in the dining room (service permitting) for the inclusive price. I am willing to give the benefit of the doubt that a meal might be worth $30, but do they give you the same latitude as in the main dining room or is it a prix fixe situation?
You can...but you will have so much food offered...you most likely won't be tempted too.

We do always order several appetizers though...one for my husband(who IS a large eater) and then one for myself.
Old November 8th, 2006, 03:07 AM
Passenger

I must agree with seattleguy37, I am looking forward to eating at the Pinnacle Grill when I travel in March 2007. I am not sure what most people
pay for an upscale dinner but in Las Vegas it sure is more then $30 per person and the menu sounds well worth a try for as little as $30.00.
Old November 11th, 2006, 03:59 PM
First Mate

i've cruised on hal fifteen times, and i love the experience, but i am kind of turned off by the whole pinnacle 'thing.' on my recent zaandam cruise to the mexican riviera/sea of cortez, my travel agent, as she usually does, provided a 'perk' dinner at the pinnacle. i think lots of folks get these perks. when i called to make reservations (early in the cruise) i was told in a rather unfortunate manner that the pinnacle was booked for the entire cruise. first, i have never dined at the pinnacle or passed it when it even appeared to be half full; and friends i met on the ship who dined there said they were almost alone in the experience. my guess is that the game is to pass out perks, build interest, and then try to establish some sort of reputation by claiming the place is booked. after all, they make money on those who pay, probably not so much on those with perks. it was not a good experience.
Old November 12th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
i've cruised on hal fifteen times, and i love the experience, but i am kind of turned off by the whole pinnacle 'thing.' on my recent zaandam cruise to the mexican riviera/sea of cortez, my travel agent, as she usually does, provided a 'perk' dinner at the pinnacle. i think lots of folks get these perks. when i called to make reservations (early in the cruise) i was told in a rather unfortunate manner that the pinnacle was booked for the entire cruise. first, i have never dined at the pinnacle or passed it when it even appeared to be half full; and friends i met on the ship who dined there said they were almost alone in the experience. my guess is that the game is to pass out perks, build interest, and then try to establish some sort of reputation by claiming the place is booked. after all, they make money on those who pay, probably not so much on those with perks. it was not a good experience.
your experience is the same as most of us on any cruise line when it comes to the specialty dining rooms. You finally get a reservation, get there and it isn't even full. I think it has to do with staffing. Or that is what I have heard. They want to make certain they have plenty of top servers as that is part of the attraction to these places. I have also been reading on another board, the food really isn't all that wonderful. We have pre-paid so I guess we are pretty well stuck. Hope we are not disappointed. Now to the poster who asked about more than 1 entree, I don't know about HAL, but most of the lines will only allow one. You can order as many appitzers as you want, but not the entrees. I don't think many of us would want to order more than one anyway. NMnita
Old November 13th, 2006, 11:58 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
I don't know, but if we had seen the Pinnacle near empty, we might have taken that opportunity to either eat there THEN or made a reservation right there at the time...without saying we had a 'freebe' until the reservation was made!
Old November 13th, 2006, 02:34 PM
Passenger

Default zuiderdam..

We loved the Pinnacle onthe Zuiderdam oct of last year...we are getting back on her in 2 weeks! The new menu really dosen't appeal to me...just tell me I can still get the filet or the 22 OZ PORTERHOUSE!!! And wow was their New England clam chowder wonderful....We booked beofre they raised the price...but still not a bad price overall for much better quality then the dinning room.
Old November 13th, 2006, 04:49 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by capgirl
I must agree with seattleguy37, I am looking forward to eating at the Pinnacle Grill when I travel in March 2007. I am not sure what most people
pay for an upscale dinner but in Las Vegas it sure is more then $30 per person and the menu sounds well worth a try for as little as $30.00.
I don't think what we pay on land has much to do with what we pay on a ship. Most of us are used to paying $25-$50 for dinner at a 4 star restaurant, but on a ship meals are included. For me, I am not as concerned about the rise from $20 to $30 as I am the comments on various boards about the food really not being anything special. NMnita
Old November 14th, 2006, 06:05 PM
Passenger

My wife and I were on the Zaandam last month on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii. The Pinnicle was completley full the second week. HAL had to give us a refund because there was no room. They also stagger the eating times so what might seem like a half empty restauranrt really isn't. They just don't seat every table like most restaurants do. It was a nice change of pace from the Rotterdam. However they did not offer Lobster, which for their new price of $30.00 pp they should.