Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 14th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Guaranteed,,was I a fool to take this?????

So HAl has this 4 day Pacific Coastal cruise in the fall of 2007. Since I won't be taking a long cruise again until 2008 I wanted to at least touch on a ship. What this cruise really is,,,,its the start of a 21 day Panama canal cruise. Its starts in Vancouver and 4 days later stops in Los Angeles. So they sell the leg from Vancover to LA as a coastal (I would assume really a repositioning) cruise. So to make a short story long,,we went ahead and put down a deposit for a Veranda cabin but were unable to book and actual cabin,,we go the old Gurantee rate. We were told that for this leg they are not assining the cabins until right before sail date. Now I think about it they are probably holding out so they can book the cabins for the longer voyage first .

So is HAl going to screw me by taking my money for a verhanda and end up sticking me on a lower deck inside cabin in the end because they sold all the class of cabins I am purchasing to the Canal people? Did I make a huge mistake???
Sponsored Links
Old October 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM
Admiral

My guess is that is what HAL is doing. Holding the "better" cabins for the longer cruise.

However, they are supposed to give you a cabin in your class or higher when booking the Gurantee Rate.

Now reading some bas press here about HAL, I would not put it pass them not to give you the Gurantee Rate/cabin.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Passenger

Your guaranteed rate should get you a Verandah cabin. We have had two cruises @ guaranteed rate. One even got us an upgrade on an mid-May Alaskan cruise. I've never heard of someone getting a downgrade. Your cabin will most likely be one reserved for some one in LA to go on the Panama cruise. Have fun & enjoy your four days. I wish we were closer so that we could take advantage of the shorter cruises. We're cruisin" January 2007. We have always been happy with Holland America cruises.
In Nebraska,
VonPrinc
Zaandam 2001
Amsterdam 2003
Zaandam2004
Volendaam 2006
Old October 15th, 2006, 01:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you booked a balcony guarantee or a specific balcony category, guarantee then you should be fine.

If you booked a R.O.S.(Run Of th Ship) guarantee then you could have a problem. A R.O.S. basically is a guarantee that says you are on the ship and you will have a cabin "somewhere".

It sounds like you booked a balcony guarantee, so you should be all right. Just check verify it, again, with your agent, to make sure.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Thanks for the reassurances. I did in fact book a guarantee VF catagory which is a Small Verhanda cabin. Guess that will work. An upgrade would be fun but all I really need is that balcony for fresh air.

Ron
Volendam 2004
Maasdam 2006
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Admiral

you will get what you booked or better, In this case most likely what you booked as these cruises normally do sell out, but don't worry you will not be downgraded. NMnita
Old October 15th, 2006, 10:09 PM
First Mate

You will not be downgraded.You may not be in the prime location for a particular deck but you must understand you could have 3 price locations on one deck which you can pull up on your computer.
Old October 16th, 2006, 03:50 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Guaranteed,,was I a fool to take this?????

Probably you are OK. Just did the Statendam from Vancouver to San Francisco on its way to New Zealand and there were rooms open to enable upgrades. Coastals are nice if the seas are calm.

Might consider flying to Seattle and taking the Amtrak up to BC - a nice train trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
So HAl has this 4 day Pacific Coastal cruise in the fall of 2007. Since I won't be taking a long cruise again until 2008 I wanted to at least touch on a ship. What this cruise really is,,,,its the start of a 21 day Panama canal cruise. Its starts in Vancouver and 4 days later stops in Los Angeles. So they sell the leg from Vancover to LA as a coastal (I would assume really a repositioning) cruise. So to make a short story long,,we went ahead and put down a deposit for a Veranda cabin but were unable to book and actual cabin,,we go the old Gurantee rate. We were told that for this leg they are not assining the cabins until right before sail date. Now I think about it they are probably holding out so they can book the cabins for the longer voyage first .

So is HAl going to screw me by taking my money for a verhanda and end up sticking me on a lower deck inside cabin in the end because they sold all the class of cabins I am purchasing to the Canal people? Did I make a huge mistake???
Old October 18th, 2006, 07:46 AM
Admiral

Just got our cabin assignment for our November sailing, we didn't really get upgraded but got a great location. Some on another board have said, we still may get an upgrade just before sailing or at the docks. We were a little disappointed as none of the catagories have sold out, but I still am not sorry we did this.

NMNita
Old October 24th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Beginner

We bought the cheapest category GUAR (N -- bowels of ship) for the Dec 30 Veendam cruise @ $749 each. Now, we are seeing bookings for $649 starting with this bottom of the totem pole category.

Does this mean we will be upgraded, because we paid $100 more each for that category?

Will the upgrade fairy visit us! (keeping fingers crossed!)

We really just wanted to be on the ship...we don't stay in the cabin...
Old October 24th, 2006, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Hi Barbara,

Welcome to Cruisemates!

You never know when the "upgrade fairy" will visit! No one knows how they decide who to upgrade. I looked at the deck plans and, if I'm reading correctly, there are only two NN cabins, so I'd think you have a very good chance at an upgrade .

I'm "assuming" you are after final payment? If so, try calling your TA or HAL (if you booked direct) and see what they can do for you.

Sometimes you can get an upgrade or some shipboard credit if the ship isn't fully booked. It can't hurt to ask !

Have a wonderful cruise!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old November 9th, 2006, 08:31 AM
Yeoman

We had booked a VF balcony guarantee for the 10/29/06 sailing on the Westerdam. 5 days before the cruise, our TA called us to see if we would be interested in a 25% refund to take an oceanview cabin, as the balconys were overbooked. We said thanks, but no thanks! We didn't get our cabin assignment until the day before the cruise, and we got an upgrade to a VA balcony! It was a great location, deck 7, port side at the rear of the ship. Nice and close to the buffet on the lido deck! You will get at least a VF balcony, and maybe an upgrade. Good Luck!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old November 9th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Passenger

We are doing a guaranteed Deluxe Verand Suite on the Oosterdam next year and are a little bit worried since we paid a pretty good price for orginially
getting a Superior Verand Suite. Is this a mistake on our part? Our travel
agent says we will either get the Deluxe or Better but we are not sure what
better is (higher up, front or back of ship)? Do you think we should be concerned, help?