Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 11th, 2006, 01:13 AM
Passenger

Default Motion sickness disease

Just read a thread about passengers who come back from their cruise and
have a horrible motion sickness for days or even weeks--very scarey. Has
this happened to anyone who has taken Holland Cruises? Is there anything
in common between the passengers who get this? Does this happen on all ships and locations or just certain ones? Having second thoughts
about cruising now--help-- going on 1st Cruise in March, Mexico 7 nights.
Sponsored Links
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Motion sickness is not a "disease". Yes, it happens to some people, but I have never heard of anyone having it for days or even weeks. You're not confusing this with Norwalk, are you?

When I first started cruising 25 years ago, they didn't have stabilizers, and I did have motion sickness the first day at sea for a couple of cruises, but then I started taking Bonine (Meclizine) 2 days before the cruise and the first couple of days on the cruise and then I was fine. Bonine can be bought at any drug store - you don't need a Dr's prescription.

Where did you read about passengers having motion sickness for days/weeks?

Don't worry about it - go and have a good time and if you should feel ill, go to the Infirmary and get a shot. They also dispense Meclizine.
Old November 11th, 2006, 09:11 AM
Passenger

Default motion sickness....

Im not sure about "disease"...but I did experience motion sickness on the Zuiderdam last year in october.(getting back on her in 14 days!) Bonine seems to help alot, you can also take Ginger root, or wear the braclets. Green apples in your room will also help. I found that on rough sea days my best bet was laying out by the pool or swiming ...something to take your mind off of it. Never heard of anyone being sick for days AFTER the cruise though. Dont be scared youll have a wonderful time...best way to travel! Just prepare yourself just in case!
Old November 11th, 2006, 04:40 PM
Admiral

Don't know who you have been talking to but I think you are the victim of an "urban legend." Of course if there are rough seas, some people do get seasick. If you are concerned about it, take some Bonine along. Unless you are extremely and unusually susceptible to motion sickness you should be just fine.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old November 11th, 2006, 05:05 PM
Admiral

capgirl, I noticed that you posted about the same thing some time ago. You are worrying WAY to much about this. If you are going to be preoccupied with it, it may cause you a problem even if it shouldn't. It's called psycho-somatic illness. Don't worry about it. There are no hurricanes in the Mexican Riviera in March. You are no different than any of the other um-teen hundred thousand cruisers who have a magnificent time Relax and enjoy yourself. Take some Bonine along, You'll be fine

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old November 11th, 2006, 08:10 PM
Admiral

Hi capgirl,

DO NOT PANIC ! Yes, some people (me included) feel some "motion" when back on land. It usually just lasts a day or two and is more apparent when you're in the kitchen or bathroom (no carpet). It doesn't matter which ship you're on, the motion is the same.

If it lasts more than a few days call your doctor or take some Bonine, as others have suggested. And it's not "horrible", just strange!

The GOOD news is that most people who feel this movement after they come off the ship never get seasick while on the ship!

Have a wonderful cruise! I'm sure you'll come back wanting to book another ASAP!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 11th, 2006, 11:47 PM
Passenger

Just so everyone does not think I am crazy, you can go to the thread on this
very websit(at the bottom of the page with all the cruise ship name listings
it says) HEALTH AT SEA, look under STILL ROCKING and 5 DAYS AFTER CRUISE STILL HAVIN PROBLEMS. The name of the disease is called Mal de Debarqument, so it does not sound like an urban legend to me.
Thanks for all the good feedback though--I will enjoy.
Old November 12th, 2006, 10:18 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by capgirl
Just so everyone does not think I am crazy, you can go to the thread on this
very websit(at the bottom of the page with all the cruise ship name listings
it says) HEALTH AT SEA, look under STILL ROCKING and 5 DAYS AFTER CRUISE STILL HAVIN PROBLEMS. The name of the disease is called Mal de Debarqument, so it does not sound like an urban legend to me.
Thanks for all the good feedback though--I will enjoy.

It's not a DISEASE!!! It's just a symptom that happens when you have been on a ship on the ocean/sea for a few days and then return to land. Yes, I have that "rocking" motion when I return home, especially when I am sitting down but it goes away after a day or two - some people may have it longer.

The rocking motion thing happens to a lot of us but not on every cruise. After spending 5 days at sea crossing from LA to Hawaii, then we sure did have the "rocking motion".
Old November 12th, 2006, 04:36 PM
First Mate

i always get 'mal de debarquement,' most often a severe case. the cure, i have found is to get to my travel agent as soon as possible and book the next cruise!!
Old November 12th, 2006, 04:57 PM
Admiral

capgirl, hombre has it absolutely right! Are you really this concerned about this or are you just putting us on? After a long time at sea, everyone feels the slight sensation of the old earth moving a bit for a day or two. It's not an illness, and certainly not a "horrible one. it's not even very bothersome, it doesn't make you sick. It goes away quickly.
Seriously, if you worry excessively about such things, perhaps you should spend your vacation, at home.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old November 12th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Admiral

Hi capgirl,

Quote:
Originally Posted by you
The name of the disease is called Mal de Debarqument, so it does not sound like an urban legend to me.
Yes, there is a very slight possiblity of getting " Mal de Debarqument". It is incredibly rare and the way to "cure" it is to take seasickness meds after you are back on land. The only place I've seen it mentioned is on the "Still Rocking" thread.

The reason that I didn't mention it is because it's so rare and easily "cured"!

This is really not something you need to worry about !

Hi richstacy,

I don't think that capgirl is "putting us on". She's just been researching anything and everything that has to do with cruising!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Old November 13th, 2006, 01:16 AM
Passenger

Thank you Fern for being so kind(its amazing how harsh some people come across on these threads,you are not one of them) I have been researching anything and everything that has to do with cruising because it is all new to me and I am very excited. All I have done is eat, sleep, and breath cruise research since I booked this and I have over 4 months to go, is that normal?
Oh and by the way Richstacy ,
I never stay at home on my vacations...have a nice evening
Old November 13th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Capgirl, I don't want you to stay home. I want you to stop worrying about very unlikely things and just become addicted to cruising like the rest of us. It is perfectly normal to read everything you can and to think about your cruise all the time, even when you are getting ready to go on your 20th one But please don't allow yourself to dwell on remote negative possibilities. Instead, imagine yourself in a beautiful shady spot on the deck of your ship in the tropics as a gorgeous island glides by. You are perfectly content as you savor the view and the tropical breeze. You have a good book in one hand and a delightful beverage of your preference in the other. Now that I can promise you will happen -- and you are gonna love it

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old November 13th, 2006, 05:41 PM
First Mate

Default Motion sickness disease

capgirl, listen to and heed all this good info. from everyone.

Forget about getting any type of sick. As richstacy posted, think of all the great enjoyment and fun you are going to have. We have only been on one cruise (next one to Alaska in 2007) and THOROUGHLY enjoyed it. My DW was sort of worried about her "sealegs", didn't take anything to prevent getting seasick or having the "wobbles" upon returning to land. She HAD NO PROBLEM after finally deciding that she was NOT GOING TO HAVE A PROBLEM. Again, richstacy posted, a lot of peoples problems are psyco-somatic.....I know I will have a problem; therefore, they do have a problem.

I had the "motion problem" only one time, after going fishing in the Gulf of Mexico. It was gone by the time that we loaded our gear in the car to return home.

FAGETABOUTIT

I am looking forward to your post after you return telling us about the GREAT time you had.

crabbie1
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:20 PM
Passenger

I am not stewing over this and I know I will have a great time. I love the ocean and always have, so nothing will get in my way on this cruise. I think I was worrying because I have been on a couple of whale watching trips (one in Maui and one in San Diego) and a snorkling trip, which were very rough, but common sense tells me that a huge ship compared to the 4 hour whale watching boats don't compare. I will be fine, let you know. 8)
Old November 13th, 2006, 08:25 PM
Admiral

You are much more likely to suffer from motion on a small boat like whale watching than on a large ship. Rough seas can happen but you are more likely to notice no more than a very pleasant slight slow roll. I have been on cruises where the ship was a steady as my living room.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old November 14th, 2006, 09:06 PM
Beginner

Hi Capgirl, it's me. You are not crazy but I wouldn't worry about Mal De Debarquement, like others have mentioned it is very rare. I personally unforuntately am experiencing MDD symptoms & have been for 16 days now. To others out there, this is real. I was on a 7 day cruise that was extremely rough for the two days at sea heading home. While on the ship, your body, ears & mind are always working to keep your balance. For some unlucky people when they get back on land, their bodies are unable to reprocess normal balance. For most it lasts weeks or months, some people have actaully become disabled & have had it for years. It seems to happen more than you would think it just is not always reported. It usually happens in women between 40 to 60 yrs. old. I am a healthly 34 yr old male & I have lived on the water. I have never been seasick in my life & would have never dreamed this could happen. I would not believe it either if I wasn't living it. LIke I mentioned I'm on day 16 & the last week or so it has started to suside. The 1st week was living hell!
Old November 15th, 2006, 05:01 PM
Yeoman

Hi Capgirl,

It is common to have some anxiety about cruising before you take your first trip.
If you suffer from motion sickness -- perhaps riding in a car, flying or on amusement park rides -- then you might be really concerned about cruising. That's easy to understand!

I am prone to motion sickness of amusement park rides that go in circles [think: Teacups at Disney World]. On cruises I took back in the early '90s, I got very seasick and had to take meds that knocked me out.

But now I've been cruising with no problem. I wear the wristbands.
I only wear them for the first day or so, until I adjust to the ship. I have never been sick since! If the seas are rough -- last year we had waves in the 28-foot range thanks to a tropical storm -- I slip the bands back on.

Believe me, they work. I was doubtful the first time I tried them ... but they do work.

And I guess I must sail in rough waters, because I've never had a smooth cruise.

When I get home, I do feel the "rocking" for a day or two, particularly when I am in the shower!
Old November 15th, 2006, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Hi Fruitcake, let me know what the brand name is on the wristbands and do
you wear more than one at a time?
Old November 16th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Passenger

They are called EZ-TRAVEL capgirl...they are little gray wrist bands...not to attractive but work pretty good.
Celebrity Century 3/06
HAL ZUiderdam 10/05