Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 28th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Beginner

Default Maasdam-I've read some scary reviews lately...

If anyone who has sailed the Maasdam recently would care to boost my confidence, please help! I've read some recent awful reviews about the ship - engines failing, toilets backing up, hair in food, stabilizers not working, no A/C and others. I have cruised over 20 times in the past, and I'm usually very upbeat about cruising. I've never seen such bad reviews about a ship before, and it's too late for us to back out now- we're going on 12/22/06. Positive feedback, please!
Sponsored Links
Old November 29th, 2006, 08:34 AM
Admiral

I don't know where or when you read these reports, but don't believe everything you read.

The latest reviews I have read about the Maasdam are saying she is in great shape. Yes, she did have problems last year, but I believe all these have been corrected.

Have a great cruise.
Old November 29th, 2006, 11:10 AM
First Mate

the maasdam is a beautiful and lovely ship and we would sail her again in a hearbeat, and hope to in the near future!
Old November 30th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Maasdam-I've read some scary reviews lately...

She's an older ship but nice. Older ships just show their age sometimes. The problems referenced, however, can also happen on newer ships, witness the issues with the newer Oosterdam. Traveling by ship is always an adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rox59
If anyone who has sailed the Maasdam recently would care to boost my confidence, please help! I've read some recent awful reviews about the ship - engines failing, toilets backing up, hair in food, stabilizers not working, no A/C and others. I have cruised over 20 times in the past, and I'm usually very upbeat about cruising. I've never seen such bad reviews about a ship before, and it's too late for us to back out now- we're going on 12/22/06. Positive feedback, please!
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old November 30th, 2006, 09:51 AM
Passenger

Default Maasdam September 2005

Hi, I sailed the New England cruise in Sept of last year on the Maasdam and some of what you say is true. Our toilet didn't have problems, but we heard that others did. We had no problem with the food or stabilizers. It was a lovely ship with a wonderful, cheery crew. The temperature was quite warm, in the 80s and our AC worked great. I think you will have a great time and enjoy the Maasdam very much!!
Old December 5th, 2006, 05:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

Recent reviews of mechanical problems(continued) have caused my wife and I to cancel our 17 day "dream transatlantic" cruise for July 2007.
I loved the iten, but cannot take A/C problems and plumbing issues.
We have had them on other older ships and it ruined the cruise.
Try sleepng in your stateroom when its about 95 degrees in there and the dining room is so hot you cannot stand it.

We've booked a cruisee instead to the Artic Circle on the Celebrity Century in July 07.
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:55 PM
Admiral

Can appreciate your adversion to risk. With older ships, short repositioning cruises are more preferable than special occasion "dream" long cruises. That said, your description provided fits a cool summer day in Texas with a failed air conditioner. Yet, such a prospect has not keep folks from sailing in our direction. For those yet to transplant here, the locals advise remaining in the milder climate of the lesser 49 states.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1207
Recent reviews of mechanical problems(continued) have caused my wife and I to cancel our 17 day "dream transatlantic" cruise for July 2007.
I loved the iten, but cannot take A/C problems and plumbing issues.
We have had them on other older ships and it ruined the cruise.
Try sleepng in your stateroom when its about 95 degrees in there and the dining room is so hot you cannot stand it.

We've booked a cruisee instead to the Artic Circle on the Celebrity Century in July 07.
Amadeus:09Diamond;Celebrity:10Summit; HAL:87Rotterdam V,89Nieuw Amsterdam II,93Nordam III,94Ryndam III,96Westerdam III,99Veendam IV,01Maasdam V,02Amsterdam III,03Volendam III,03Zuiderdam II,04Westerdam IV,04Oosterdam I,05Zaandam III,06Statendam V,06Prinsendam II,07Nordam IV,08Eurodam I,08Rotterdam VI,09Veendam IV,09Volendam,10Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12Ryndam III,13Ryndam III, 14Volendam IV,14Eurodam;P&O:11Artemis;RC:07Splendour of the Seas,11Navigator of the Seas,12Majesty of the Seas;CDF:14Horizon
Old December 6th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the Maasdam (or as the crew kept saying,,"the beautiful and elegant Maasdam) last Sept on a Canada cruise. Ship is just fine. The only cabin comment I would have was the railings were really bad (balcony cabin) and the walls on the balconies between the cabins looked worn,,well all the railings and walls were replaced during our cruise. There was a small tear on the wall covering in our cabin,,besides that the ship was perfect. the only annlying thing,,if you call this annyoing and most would not,,was that hte internet service was down a few times due to a satellite mess up.

Stabilizers....one evening we were in 24 foot swells,,the shipped rocked a bit for about 20 minutes. The only funny thing to was we had one day with no ports. On that day the ship was getting ready for an inspection the following day, somehting to do with a fake terrorist alert. All the fire hoses were on deck being tested. All I can say is, bring duct tape because those things were spraying water everywhere due to small holes.
Old December 8th, 2006, 02:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was on the Maasdam in September and found it to be in like new condition. Enjoyed the heck out of the ship. Absolutely loved it. I was Ms. Maasdam, what fun!!
Old December 9th, 2006, 02:45 PM
First Mate

believe me, hal is top of the line. anyone posting a nasty review of a hal ship either had one unique experience, is impossible to please, or works for celebrity!
Old January 5th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Admiral

I have heard nothing but reviews about the maasdam. i will be on it
nov 19,2007
Old January 28th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
believe me, hal is top of the line. anyone posting a nasty review of a hal ship either had one unique experience, is impossible to please, or works for celebrity!

If your refering to the original Holland America Lines now owned by
Carnival Corp..it's not the same as the original HAL.
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:37 PM
Captain

You, of course, are referring to the same Holland America Line which has been owned by Carnival Corporation for more than 14 years. Please don't give the impression this is something new.

HAL is run independently of Carnival and is a totally different product.
The Carnival Family of Ships includes (among others) Seabourn, Princess, Costa, Carnival, Windstar, Cunard, and Holland America Line.

We have been on something like 45 + HAL cruises and among all our cruises on all the HAL ships, Maasdam is one of our very favorite ships. We've sailed her over a dozen times and have two sets of back-to-backs booked on her for summer 2007. We can't get enough of the great ship and her wonderful crew.

She looks fantastic since her Signature of Excellence Upgrades. We spent two great weeks on her last August.