Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:11 AM
Passenger

Default Problems on the Oosterdam

I just read the thread on the Maasdam. I too am concerned about recent
threads and reviews I've read about the Oosterdam. Port visits skipped
or cut short because of problems with the pods, mediocre food,
very worn furnishing and carpet???? Is this all true? [/b]
Sponsored Links
Old December 10th, 2006, 01:36 PM
Admiral

We were on the Oo in March 2006...and found her to be in beautiful condition, perfect in everyway.

We read on a post RIGHT after our cruise that the Oo was in terrible condition...but WE didn't find this true.

We've been on 8 cruises so far...so we have a little bit 'sea' experience, and know what to look for. When we were on the Oo she was in great shape. That was 9 months ago...so could it be in 9 months the ship went from one extreme to the another? Maybe other posters have been on her more recently will post.

[/url]
Old December 13th, 2006, 04:27 PM
Passenger

Thank you fieldmouse for your reply but it has been 9 months since you cruised on the O and I have read posts from people who cruised her for Thanksgiving and their posts were just down right scary!
I hope very much that you are correct but I would like to hear from someone
who just cruised on the O. Thanks again.
Old January 19th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Beginner

Default The "OO" cruise

My wife and I traveled on the O-dam for our 30th anniversary with the Nov 11, 2006 sailing. On this sailing, they did have trouble with the POD slowing our speed of advance, but we were able to still hit all advertised ports, but in their reverse order. The last port was cut short buy a few hours, but other than missing out on a few hours of shopping, which by this point we already spent too much, was not bad.

We enjoyed our time at sea mostly and had a veranda suite on the Navigation deck. This was my wife's first curise (and my first non-working cruise), we both found the experience to be pleasurable and will plan another Holland Cruise in the future. For us, the ports were not as important as the days at sea, though we did get off the ship at two of the three ports we hit.

As to worn down carpeting and overall upkeep, I would have to say that I did not come across any. As an experience retired sailor, I look for little things like rust, mechanical conditions, grounding straps, etc. things that the average person may not look for. I found all to be in shipshape condition.

Well, hope you enjoyed your cruise (or will if you have not traveled yet). Good luck and note the posting in regards to the Diamond merchants. We did not have any bad experiences, but appears others did.

r/ Bob
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Passenger

bobspink, thanks for the info---It's getting closer and I can't wait....
Old January 20th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Admiral

Yes, there have been some pod problems just like many other ships and other lines. I don't know about the food on the Oosterdam, but let me tell you, 20 plus cruises and the food on our HAL ship was the best. Just my thoughts.

NMNita
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:37 PM
Passenger

Not to worry. We just disembarked the O yesterday and can report she is in excellent shape, considering the small city of guests and staff aboard. We saw worn carpet being replaced, surfaces being painted, and brass and glass polished while the ship was at sea and in port--all without inconvenience to passengers.
Old January 23rd, 2007, 01:09 AM
First Mate

:o Good evening,

Noteworthy: OOSterdam had a scheduled drydock in Victoria, BC at the end of her Alaska season in September....The '' menu '' was quite extensive as regards hotel and aesthetics maintenance....So, it would be stunning to hear she's suddenly turned into bad shape....
Now, for the pods....that's another story....Yes, one of her pods developped the now infamous problems plaguing other users of that technology and that particular product....( Celebrity cheif among them...).
I suggest a drydock needed to fix that is '' in the works'' but due to the nature of the issue, and the availability of both the parts required and the yard space, that will take place '' a bit later''....meanwhile, the suspect pod is used at 60%...resulting in an overall propulsion restriction to approx 80%.

All in all...still nice to cruise...

Cheers

Nest up: CENTURY June'08....B2B Norwegian Fjords/Artic/NorthCape & Scandinavia/Russia

TIME TO BOARD YET ??
CLAUDE G
Old January 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Yeoman

I just arrived home yesterday from the big Oo and we had an absolute blast.

Our time was cut short in a few of the ports but it wasn't that much of an issue.

The food was incredible. The head chefs, Tom and Stephan, were warm, welcoming and extremely talented. Their bread pudding was the best I've ever had. The waiters at our dinner table were perfect! They were attentive, knew our names and what we enjoyed drinking with our dinners. The crew on the Oo were truly amazing!

I did notice some wear and tear on the ship from thoughtless passengers and the crew dragging the luggage along the sides of the hallway. Several of the elevators were missing buttons. The ship seemed to rock a bit more than I was used to, not sure if that's attributable to the pod problem or not.

All in all, I would highly recommend the HAL Oosterdam to a couple or folks that are interested in a low-key relaxing trip. If you are high energy and want to get your party on, this is NOT the ship for you.

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:07 AM
Passenger

gwydiana, did you do any shore excursions and what were they?
When you say "low key", are there themed nights on the ship and what were
they??
I am a little concerned about the bit more rocking since it is my first cruise
is it alot????
Old January 29th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Yeoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by capgirl
gwydiana, did you do any shore excursions and what were they?
When you say "low key", are there themed nights on the ship and what were
they??
I am a little concerned about the bit more rocking since it is my first cruise
is it alot????
Yes, I did the Shrimp Feast in Mazatlan and the Whale Watching in Cabo --both were AWESOME!

Not really any themed nights on the ship-- the ship was rather dead for my tastes. The Piano bar guy didn't even play Neil Diamond. I was really disappointed in that plus the fact that he played solely country music. It didn't seem appropriate for a piano bar!

The "disco" was a very small postage stamp dancefloor and the music absolutely sucked !!! he played the same 5 songs over and over again-- mostly rap, which was incongruous on a ship that catered to the 70+ age group!

They had a wonderful string quartet from Russia and the older crowd could be found there most of the time.

I did catch the last few minutes of a Jazz Trio in an upstairs small lounge and they sounded great. I never did find my way back to them, sadly.

The rocking seemed a bit more pronounced to me than my last cruise of those very same waters on the Spirit a few weeks ago. That may be due to the azipod problem, or most likely, simply due to the waters being rougher this time out. It was fine tho, no seasickness occurred.

I had a great time on this ship in spite of the obvious drawbacks. This was because I had an awesome roomie with a great personality and the ship's staff were so wonderful. The Beverage Manager, Hans, was a blast to hang out with!

However, I would be hesitant to take this cruiseline again because of the lack of planned entertainment, the obvious "greeness" of the new Cruise Director and the age group HAL seems to cater to.

Our new Cruise Director had no previous experience in this field and his bio seemed to center upon the fact that he was proficient in balloon animals!!! L O L

Carnival Legend, Thanksgiving, 2006
Old January 30th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Passenger

thanks for the info, I hope we won't be to bored!! I was hoping we could
fall back on the disco if needed but we love 70's music and hate rap, maybe
we can speak with the DJ. My husband is a jazz fan.
We booked the shrimp feast in mat and a taste of mex & city highlights in pv. The other couple we are traveling with own
a timeshare in cabo at club tascatos so we will hang out there. I am curious if you have stayed in a Deluxe Ver suite we have a guar for a sc cabin, it should be ok? I have read several threads that say from San Diego to Cabo
and vise versa there is a lot more motion?
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:16 AM
Admiral

One thing I personally learned is don't believe everything I read. In July 2004 I sailed on the O-dam, and find it hard to believe that it would become trashed in 2 & 1/2 years. Lovely ship then. 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 18th, 2007, 05:13 AM
Beginner

Default Oosterdam is lovely.

We just disembarked this morning and she was just lovely. Not to worry.

We might not even have known about the azipod problem if we had not been told about it. Exception: In the dining room, we sat next to the aft windows for the high tea, and the cups and saucers were wiggling against each other from the vibration there. The sound was certainly noticeable, and I imagine the same may have been true for folks eating there at other times.

But otherwise, we really would not even have known. We even made it to port earlier than expected. It was a lovely cruise.

Hope this helps put your mind at ease.

Susan
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by capgirl
I have read several threads that say from San Diego to Cabo
and vise versa there is a lot more motion?
The information which I received from another recent cruiser is that San Diego to Cabo will be smooth...it is the ride 'back home' which can be a bit sway'ee due to the ocean current. I am not a good sailor, myself, but have cruised over some rough water and come into port alive!

It would definitely help if you could get a cabin mid-ship, about halfway down. That is why we have always chosen our cabin at the time of booking, instead of waiting for a GTY. The most movement ever experienced was while enjoying a stern suite, and a suite at the bow. Nothing that I couldn't handle, especially as the cabins can be left to go elsewhere. As for sleeping...just don't worry about it. Take a pill (or whatever will settle the stomach if you're worried about that) and let the ship rock you to sleep. No sense in worrying....truly, there is nothing you can do about it and the captain is a tried-and-true hand at handling his ship
Old February 18th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

We made the trip just last month and the seas were great! No "motion o' the ocean" to speak of at all. You just never can tell. Mother Nature always deals the cards!
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
The information which I received from another recent cruiser is that San Diego to Cabo will be smooth...it is the ride 'back home' which can be a bit sway'ee due to the ocean current. I am not a good sailor, myself, but have cruised over some rough water and come into port alive!
Please don't tell my wife!! She gets sea-sick and we are scheduled on the 10-day Mexico cruise on Ryndam in April. If I give her a binine she is fine, but she hates to take anything.

As for OO. I think a lot of the worries were about the Noro. That seems to be under control now. As for pods and arriving late, well, its Mexico, everything runs late there (and no puns about the runs to follow, please).
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:36 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the update guys and from Susandiego its good to hear that
everything on the Ooo is running smoothly. We leave in just 5 short weeks
and can't wait !!!
We are looking at the Mexico 10day cruise for next year so Paul, let me know when you return in April how all went.