Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 15th, 2006, 04:14 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to HowAreYou Send a message via MSN to HowAreYou
Default Need some advice please.

Hi, I am 18 years old. I will be traveling with my mother. We want to go to Austalia/New Zealand. We first just looked at RCCL and now are looking at other cruise lines. Have any of you ever taken HAL to australia/new zealand? If yes, did you like it? Do you think we would enjoy it more if we see it by land?

Also, are there people my age? Since, with the seasons flipped I'll probably be going either once im 19 or right about to turn 19. Is there anything for me to do or is this a kind of a boring ship and will end up sticking to my mother the entire time?

Any advice or comments about the line please share.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2006, 05:53 PM
Admiral

IMO, the folks that you will find on this cruise will tend to be 55+. You might get lucky and find some peeps your age.

I would go with RCI.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old December 15th, 2006, 06:45 PM
Passenger

Thanks
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Admiral

HAL is a great line, but not for 18 year olds doing Australia and NewZewaland. I would continue to examine RCI. BTW, a cruise like what you are considering will not be loaded with young people. This isn't all bad, but just wanted to forewarn you. NMnita
Old December 16th, 2006, 12:36 AM
Passenger

Thanks yeh, after a bunch of people told me that. Even with RCCL. I've decided with my mother to stick with Europe.

Hopefully on European cruises with RCCL it's better in terms of age ranges.

Thanks for the info
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:19 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowAreYou
Thanks yeh, after a bunch of people told me that. Even with RCCL. I've decided with my mother to stick with Europe.

Hopefully on European cruises with RCCL it's better in terms of age ranges.

Thanks for the info
that is a much better decision. NMNita
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Hehe.. our choices are changing very quickly.

My mother and I spoke to a rep from RCCL on the phone today and they told us that European cruises tend to attract the older crowd. We called in regards to the ship being kind of boring.

They told us that if we really want to have fun to stick to the islands so we are looking into cruises to the islands now.

Thanks
Old December 16th, 2006, 03:47 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Hehe.. our choices are changing very quickly.

My mother and I spoke to a rep from RCCL on the phone today and they told us that European cruises tend to attract the older crowd. We called in regards to the ship being kind of boring.

They told us that if we really want to have fun to stick to the islands so we are looking into cruises to the islands now.

Thanks
that even makes better sense. I still think a med cruise or just a Europian one would have younger cruisers as well as the more mature. Of course the longer the cruise the older the crowd. Certainly cruising the Caribbean will have the most young people. NMnita
Old December 16th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Passenger

Thanks.

But we FINALLY decided what we are going to do.

We are going to do a 16 day land tour in spain in August while taking a few days on our own in Madrid and taking one day to fly to Mallorca to see the Dragon Cave.

Then Jan 2nd I believe it is we're going to take a 7 day cruise aboard the Freedom o/t Seas to the Caribbean. Since this is when college is out and at the same time younger kids go back to school. Assuming a few teenagers will just skip school for the first few days since the price does go down during the school year, there will be also teenagers. But, I'll be 19 so, i'm not too sure how much hanging out with 15 year olds who's main goal (according to the teen boards) is "HOW CAN I SNEAK ALCOHOL IN?!"lmaoo.

I hope that will be a good vacation.

Thanks for the help..The advice I keep getting is more than helpful.
Old December 17th, 2006, 08:38 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks.

But we FINALLY decided what we are going to do.

We are going to do a 16 day land tour in spain in August while taking a few days on our own in Madrid and taking one day to fly to Mallorca to see the Dragon Cave.

Then Jan 2nd I believe it is we're going to take a 7 day cruise aboard the Freedom o/t Seas to the Caribbean. Since this is when college is out and at the same time younger kids go back to school. Assuming a few teenagers will just skip school for the first few days since the price does go down during the school year, there will be also teenagers. But, I'll be 19 so, i'm not too sure how much hanging out with 15 year olds who's main goal (according to the teen boards) is "HOW CAN I SNEAK ALCOHOL IN?!"lmaoo.

I hope that will be a good vacation.

Thanks for the help..The advice I keep getting is more than helpful.
You have picked a wonderful conbination for your vacation. As for not wanting to hang out with the "younder set" you are at that age wher the 20 somethings aren't terribly interested in you plus you can't drink on the ships and the teens are way to young. Our granddaughter did one cruise at that age; luckily for her she was with her sister who was a few years older. I only have one suggestion:

For your trip to Spain, why don't you think of taking a couple days in Mallorca. It is really a great vacation spot. NMnita
Old December 17th, 2006, 02:27 PM
Passenger

Thanks..

I at home usually get along with the older 20s crowd. It's just my personality. I don't "need" to drink to enjoy myself. And, what I've been reading is the little kids want to drink to. It sounds like wanting to go on a cruise is just wanting to get drunk for a week. Personally I believe that's kind of sad.

What else is there to do in Mallorca? We thought its a little village. We'd spend the day there and go to the dragon caves.

Thanks
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Mallorca is a beautiful island. You should plan to send a coule of days there. There are beaches and little villages and of course the caves. You'll like it very much. Glad you made your choices about the rest of the vacation(s).
Old December 17th, 2006, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Thanks We'll definetly look into it. Because, beaches are everywhere. And, so are villages. So, we'll see.
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Thanks We'll definetly look into it. Because, beaches are everywhere. And, so are villages. So, we'll see.
Beaches and villages are everywhere, you are right, but each is different. We were there for about 3 days (many years ago) I would go back in a heartbeat. NMNita
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:08 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Don't try to say that Jones Beach is as nice as some of the best/most beautiful beaches in the world.

SS Norway (12 times) '85 - '97; Radiance OS 06/01; Island Princess 11/04, Grand Princess 11/04/05, Golden Princess 7/21/06, Golden Princess 2/24/07, Explorer of the Seas 12/23/07, Island Princess 11/15/08
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:26 PM
Passenger

Noo I would never say something like that. I fell in love with Capri in Italy. And, the water in greece is absolutely gorgeous too. Just for me and my mother when we go to another country it's to SEE the other country. If we wanted to just be on a beach the entire time we could do that for much cheaper. lol. And, villages are nice but they arent as entertaining to us as they are to other people. I remember when we end up in villages in other countries that are part of the tour. We end up walking through it for about 15 minutes and then just sitting and drinking coffee because we saw the village and theres nothing else to do. Most villages in Europe now have been so "tourist-i-fied". lol I just made that up to describe it because, in soo many villages its just shop after shop after shop and then somewhere in the middle you have a cafe. And, those shops aren't even interesting to look in because they usually just crappy cheap tourist stuff that no one needs. Even though I do buy a whole bunch of tourist stuff (I mean who doesn't)..but, after 4234908234 times of the same thing it's a little annoying. lol.

That's all I meant about that villages and beaches are everywhere. Unlike history, and fascinating things to see. Like castles, and cathedrals from different times. That beats villages and beaches by a billion times. We it does for me at least.
Old December 19th, 2006, 02:38 PM
Admiral

Since you have traveled before, then I would go back to square one. Do a cruise to somewhere except the Carabbean. There is no historry there like Europe, Asia, etc.

We are going to SA in 02.07 and sail around the cape and fly to Antarctica and see some penguins along the way.

I am like you. I want to see the wold and experience the history that is 2000 years old.

We have not been to a beach in 20 years.

Old December 19th, 2006, 02:49 PM
Passenger

We looked into cruises in Europe. We don't really want to do alaska just because we'll leave that for after we see everything else. Other than the beauty theres not much there. And, the boats that go to Europe are kind of boring. All they offer are bars..lounges..and places to eat. We did a mini cruise in greece to see places like mykonos and stuff. And, we ended up sitting the entire time drinking coffee.

And, since we can't have EVERYTHING we want. Like..great ship going to great ports. So, we had to decide what's more important. Yes, seeing the places is def more important but, with a cruise you can only go to ports so you dont really see the country. With that & a boring ship. We'd end up finishing our vacation in a mood that kind of felt like "we were bored and we didnt even go anywhere to make up for it."

That's why we decided to go for a little over 16 days to Spain since that was the next country we wanted to see and then go in January of 2008 on a cruise to the caribbean. We even decided we'll probably get off the ship for a little while to do some optionals and that's about it. That vacation will be strictly for the ship.

And, Antarctica sounds really cool. We'll def be doing that in the future. I thinking seeing the world beats sitting on a beach by a million.
Old December 19th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Noo I would never say something like that. I fell in love with Capri in Italy. And, the water in greece is absolutely gorgeous too. Just for me and my mother when we go to another country it's to SEE the other country. If we wanted to just be on a beach the entire time we could do that for much cheaper. lol. And, villages are nice but they arent as entertaining to us as they are to other people. I remember when we end up in villages in other countries that are part of the tour. We end up walking through it for about 15 minutes and then just sitting and drinking coffee because we saw the village and theres nothing else to do. Most villages in Europe now have been so "tourist-i-fied". lol I just made that up to describe it because, in soo many villages its just shop after shop after shop and then somewhere in the middle you have a cafe. And, those shops aren't even interesting to look in because they usually just crappy cheap tourist stuff that no one needs. Even though I do buy a whole bunch of tourist stuff (I mean who doesn't)..but, after 4234908234 times of the same thing it's a little annoying. lol.

That's all I meant about that villages and beaches are everywhere. Unlike history, and fascinating things to see. Like castles, and cathedrals from different times. That beats villages and beaches by a billion times. We it does for me at least.
You will have time to do both, yes, seeing things like museums and castle are fasinating, but beleive me they too, all just like beaches and villages. We did Madrid with several side trips. The last castle, I can't remember where we skipped. You see one, they all are pretty much alike. Spain is a fascinating place to visit. As for villages, and the same old junk, you might be surpised at what you will see from in these shops. There are great deals on Mallorcan pearls and LLadros. Sure you will find the T shirts, mugs, etc, but Spain has much else to offer in the "bring home catagory". they also have great brandy at very good prices compared to the USA. Nmnita
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:36 PM
Passenger

I've so far been to England, Wales, Scotland, France, Italy, and Greece. And, no matter how many castles, museums, etc I saw I find them all different. The one thing I believe people can skip is cathedrals. We saw about a billion of them and they look the same. But, other things that you only read about and see pictures of in books are worthwhile seeing.

And, yes of course each country has its own "Crafts" but that doesn't mean it interests us. When me and my mother visit different countries even we get totally different experiences. She reads a lot of books that take place in the past and when she visits these places it's as if the book came to life. To me it's just fascinating seeing things like in the medieval or gothic style. People back then built these amazing things that people right now couldnt even build or would think to build.

And, for gifts we usually buy all kids t-shirts and some adults wine or champagne other something we think they might like. Like a coffee set that has a picture of something. When we go on vacation we don't focus on gifts we can buy people. We go to see those hundreds of castles or gorgeous areas. To me they are all special in their own way and all diffent and I can't get enough of it.

We already know what we want to see in spain. Things like the Bones house, the huge cathedral that I can't remember who build that has the whole bible carved into its stone, stuff like that. Aside from that I can't wait to try the hot chocolate. ahhh PURE CHOCOLATE yummy. Might even beat gelato in Italy. lol. Aside from that we're taking a tour with a tour group that shows us alll of spain. The little villages that most tourists on their own don't get to.

To each its own I guess. People get different things out of their travel experiences. I know someone that any country he goes to he has to visit all the art museums and stuff. I personally as well as my mother can't stand museums unless it's like the ones in greece where you see the site and then go to the museum to see the artifacts. Otherwise, I don't step a foot into museums. I haven't even gone to famous museums in new york city. Just doesn't interest me. The only place I can say I went to an art museum was the Louve in France and the place where David is in Italy.

That's all I meant by my statement. When me and my mother go to another country we go to see those type of things. Little villages that are all the same that the main goal is just relaxing in a cafe while people watching or something like doesn't really appeal to us.

Wow sorry for the long essay. lol.