Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 28th, 2006, 08:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Tradition on HAL ships.

Another thread about jeans on HAL got me pondering. We have been cruising for over 15 years, almost exclusively on HAL, and have found that many of the things we really like or liked about HAL seem to be going away. The general dressing down in the evenings is one of the changes I'm not fond of. The new, larger vista ships, are a trend I am not enjoying. The marketing to families with kids does not entirely appeal to me. And the loss of many suite amenities bothers me just a bit.

Sounds like I'm complaining, doesnt it? Well I'm not really, just being reflective and a little pensive. I still love HAL and will continue to cruise on their ships.

So, what great HAL traditions, that have gone or are going away, do you miss?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Old December 28th, 2006, 10:08 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Tradition on HAL ships.

The soaps and shampoos are generic vs. HAL specific. The pillow chocolate papers are also generic. Hotel minibars have come in. The mandatory tip surcharge on the bill makes it a bid odd for calculating tips - just add that surcharge into the cruise fare?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy

Tim
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
Passenger

Default Still Traditional, Thank God

Jaggy, one good thing to remember when sailing Holland America is she is still traditional, elegant, and well maintained. We haven't been on the Vista Class ships. We stick with the Rotterdam, Amsterdam, and Princedam.

The children thing is disturbing. There are fewer choices for people who don't want to have misbehaved children running amuck along with their clueless (or thoughtless) parents who use the ship as their babysitter. This is much less of a problem on Holland America than on some of the other lines.

The woman who wrote in about jeans is taking a 7-day Alaska cruise. I think Royal Caribbean or NCL would be a better fit for her, but what the heck?
Old January 21st, 2007, 01:45 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Still Traditional, Thank God

Regarding the comment on kiddos - have seen where the kiddos scratched up brass in the elevators in HAL ships with grafitti. However, did not see that in RCI and my kiddo did not see it in Princess.

Have fun down in SA PH7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificHeights7
The children thing is disturbing. There are fewer choices for people who don't want to have misbehaved children running amuck along with their clueless (or thoughtless) parents who use the ship as their babysitter. This is much less of a problem on Holland America than on some of the other lines.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:09 PM
Admiral

Though there were almost no children on our last Holland American cruise I have seen them on Celebrity as well as all other lines. The worst behaved were on Celebrity as they appeared to be the most spoiled. This certainly isn't meant to indicate I think all kids on Celebrity are brats or kids are brats period. I do think, for those who prefer the more subdued, quieter atmosphere either you consentrate on periods when children will be at a minimum or opt for the luxury liners. The luxury liners, at this stage anyway do not cater to children. In fact most of them don't encourage children. NMNnita
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:49 PM
Cruise Maniac

nmnita, I think your pretty much right on. I cant say that children have been a problem on any of our HAL cruises, but we are seeing them in greater numbers, especially on the vista ships, where HAL is target marketing to families. And, for the most part, they have been well behaved. I have nothing against children and families, as long as they are well behaved.

Having been on some of the luxury lines, I can say there are very few, if any children on board. In fact, on our Seabourn cruise, the only kids I saw were under the ever-watchful eye of a nanny and were extremely well behaved. The only problem with these lines is the cost. While we have been fortunate enough to afford a few cruises on these lines, we can not afford to cruise with them as often as we like to cruise

Well, I guess its back to work...

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:30 PM
Passenger

Default Children Onboard

NMNita: I think you hit the nail on the head regarding children on cruises. I certainly don't mind well behaved children on cruises. It's just unpleasant to have brats running around. We've never been on the Vista Class ships, but we love the Rotterdam and Princedam and like the Amsterdam. I don't like shelling out big bucks for Regent Seven Seas, but I do like to splurge on a Cunard cruise every so often. It's great that we have so many choices.

DiveMaster: Thanks. We're really looking forward to it. We love the itinerary and we LOVE the Rotterdam.
Old January 24th, 2007, 12:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
Another thread about jeans on HAL got me pondering. We have been cruising for over 15 years, almost exclusively on HAL, and have found that many of the things we really like or liked about HAL seem to be going away. The general dressing down in the evenings is one of the changes I'm not fond of.

Tim
It would seem the cruising is following the trend of "ugly Americans". Some day all cruise ships will be 200,000 ton mega-monsters:
-singles/solo need not apply,
-dinner attire will be jeans on formal night; otherwise shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, halter tops, and swimwear in the dining rooms in the evenings.
-entertainment will consist primarily of vulgar comedians and rap music
-the ships decor will have a psychedelic ambiance
-want a dinner reservation? forget it...all open seating
- nickel and dime-ing for everything
- no more docking in ports, all tendering..ship TOO big
- all ports of call tourist traps so why not just stay on ship?
- passenger/crew ratio= 100 to 1
- passenger space ratio= 8
-fellow guest= 11,000 (ports of call will be overwhelmed)

Listen here...I'm being facetious. Don't anyone play the fool by attempting to flame me. NO..I don't consider my fellow Americans to be ugly.. I'm joking ...OK ?

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old January 24th, 2007, 03:16 PM
Admiral

Well, since I hear Project Genesis, soon to be the world's largest cruise ship, will be sailing from a Texas port things can't be all that bad. My Texas born kiddo would like to sail her and given his 10 cruises across 3 lines he's a veteran a cruiser and a HAL cruiser since '96.

I have no problem with gals coming to dinner in flip flops and swimwear, although most of our Texas gals are still in their wetsuits when Dive World starts serving BBQ at the lake.

BTW, you should have been at the Boots and Black Tie Affair in DC when Texas high society invited Washington high society to hold alligators and snakes wearing formal wear. Not to worry, out of professional courtesy, none of the critters attacked.

[/quote]
-dinner attire will be jeans on formal night; otherwise shorts, t-shirts, flip flops, halter tops, and swimwear in the dining rooms in the evenings.
- no more docking in ports, all tendering..ship TOO big
-fellow guest= 11,000 (ports of call will be overwhelmed)[/quote]
Old January 24th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Admiral

[quote="Divemaster"]Well, since I hear Project Genesis, soon to be the world's largest cruise ship, will be sailing from a Texas port things can't be all that bad. My Texas born kiddo would like to sail her and given his 10 cruises across 3 lines he's a veteran a cruiser and a HAL cruiser since '96.

I have no problem with gals coming to dinner in flip flops and swimwear, although most of our Texas gals are still in their wetsuits when Dive World starts serving BBQ at the lake.

BTW, you should have been at the Boots and Black Tie Affair in DC when Texas high society invited Washington high society to hold alligators and snakes wearing formal wear. Not to worry, out of professional courtesy, none of the critters attacked.

I'm actually pretty easy to please. My next cruise is on a 111,000 ton ship, of which I'm curious to explore. 8)

/ticker.png">