Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 7th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Admiral

Default As You Wish Dining?

I've seen "elsewhere" that this is now available on HAL ships. Since we love Princess "Anytime Dining" and NCL "Freestyle" is this going to open up another option for us? Or is it just in "test" mode?

Has anyone tried it yet? What did you think?

Thanks,

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Sponsored Links
Old January 7th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Admiral

Fern, officially it is a trial, but when you try to book even the end of the year you are asked which you prefer. I thing HAL will use this on all their larger ships. I predicted, 2 years ago, "freestyle" or whatever was the wave of the future; it looks like this is the case. As I am sure you have read, many are up in arms about the loss of total traditional dining. As far as I am concerned, until you try it, how can you be certain you won't like it?

NMNita
Old January 8th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Thanks Nita,

We hate traditional dining! It would be great to have another line to cruise! We've never had any problems with either "Personal Choice" or "Freestyle" dining.

We're pretty laid back people and don't mind waiting for a table. We also enjoy eating with others, but we had two bad experiences on Carnival with traditional . No "up in arms" here!

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."

Carnival Inspiration 2002 Carnival Elation 2004
Grand Princess 2004 NCL Sun 2005
Sun Princess 2006 NCL Dream 2007
Caribbean Princess 2007 NCL Dawn 2008
Island Princess 2008 Island Princess 2009
Golden Princess 2009 Carnival Conquest 2010
Grand Princess 2010 Island Princess 2011
Grand Princess 2011 Carnival Magic 2012
Carnival Dream 2012 Island Princess 2013
Carnival Magic 2013 Carnival Legend 2014
Sea Princess 2014
Old January 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Passenger

Just off the Oosterdam yesterday. At the end of the second week of the "as you wish" dining trial, it appears to be a success. People on both sides of the fence in terms of preference seem to be satisfied with their experiences. We participated in several discussions with other passengers and officers and heard no complaints. I think it is key that HAL is keeping traditional dining as an option for those who prefer it. At this point people are being allowed to change from traditional to "as you wish" or vice versa--but not go back and forth. I look for HAL to tweak the program as they hear feedback in the coming weeks and months.
Old January 21st, 2007, 12:04 PM
Passenger

Default Anytime Dining

I suppose Anytime Dining is okay as long as they keep traditional dining as an option too.
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:14 PM
Admiral

I too think having the option is a good way to handle the concerns on both sides. I also predict that in 5 years all lines will offer some form of flex dining, in fact traditional dining could soon be a thing of the past. NMnita
Old January 21st, 2007, 02:59 PM
Beginner

I hope they do eventually have this on all their ships. We have cruised all the major lines and while we like Princess best for their dining options we like their ships and their beds the least.
This will make a big impact on how often we book HAL. I hate someone else telling me when I should be hungry!!!
Old January 21st, 2007, 03:04 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter
I hope they do eventually have this on all their ships. We have cruised all the major lines and while we like Princess best for their dining options we like their ships and their beds the least.
This will make a big impact on how often we book HAL. I hate someone else telling me when I should be hungry!!!
I agree, there are several lines we would be more inclined to use or certainly consider if they offered a form of Flex dining. Yes, I agree about the beds on HAL; they were unbeleivably comfortable. NMNita
Old January 23rd, 2007, 11:42 PM
Admiral

The lines seem to overlook solo travelers who might enjoy friends at dinner, or at least more than before. Families ...that's the key market now. Also...Everyone wants to dine in jeans and t-shirts, or so the lines seem to think. :evil:

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old January 28th, 2007, 03:50 PM
Passenger

Hello

We like anytime dinning on other lines.Because of health issues, need to eat early.On our up coming cruise on the Maasdam,we are waist listed for early dinning.Sure hope we can get this changed once we are on board.
Old January 28th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharbil
Hello

We like anytime dinning on other lines.Because of health issues, need to eat early.On our up coming cruise on the Maasdam,we are waist listed for early dinning.Sure hope we can get this changed once we are on board.
You probably will get your first choice. If not, you can contact the matre D' the first afternoon: it may be necessary to eat in the Lido cafe the first night, but after that everything should be ok, especially if you explain the reason for needing early dining. If not, you can opt for the open dining and choose what time you want to eat each night. NMNita
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
The lines seem to overlook solo travelers who might enjoy friends at dinner, or at least more than before. Families ...that's the key market now. Also...Everyone wants to dine in jeans and t-shirts, or so the lines seem to think. :evil:
That's exactly my problem with "As You Wish." It leaves the solo cruiser in a lurch. True, HAL will offer both options ... for now. But what happens if "freestyle" becomes the overwhelming favorite? Then I am sure HAL will go 100% "As You Wish."

This leaves the solo cruiser in the position of either dining alone every night, or being put at a large table of diners they will never see again after that one meal.

To me, half the reason for cruising is to enjoy elegant dinners with newfound friends. I like the idea of a table where I know I'm gonna dine with the same group each night. Maybe we'll never see each other after that one cruise, but at least we've made each other's acquaintance during the one voyage. Relationships develop over the course of the cruise, and by the end of it we are comfortable with each other and know a bit about each other. I think that's nice ... especially for the solo cruiser.

But with "freestyle" type dining arrangements you're not gonna get that. The single, or even the couple traveling alone, is either gonna eat by themselves, or be placed at a large table with different people every night. There is little, if any, chance to get to know anybody new ... someone who maybe would share some interests and perhaps a port excursion or two.

I don't like "As You Wish Dining," and I haven't even tried it yet. For me, it's traditional all the way, and if HAL ever stops offering traditional dining, I will be moving along to another cruise line that does. That's how important this issue is to me. It's clearly a deal breaker.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 17th, 2007, 02:47 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
I also predict that in 5 years all lines will offer some form of flex dining, in fact traditional dining could soon be a thing of the past. NMnita
I certainly hope not! Like Rita and others, our strong preference is traditional.