Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old January 31st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Captain

Default Dress Code on HAL.......Do you Really CARE?

I'm definitely a traditionalist and dress in gowns on formal nights, DH in tuxedo and DH in a jacket on Informal. But, I have to admit I'm at the stage where I've fought the fight for as long as I am going to.

I really don't care anymore.

I used to say I hoped HAL would continue to try to get everyone to dress to a certain dress code but, while I will always feel it does effect the ambience when someone shows up in the dining room dressed inappropriately, I give up.

You want to wear your 'dress jeans' (what an oxymoron) ...... I'll find a way to look right through and not see Levi on your pocket.
You want to wear a blazer, no tie and khakis on formal night and call yourself dressed formal......again, I really don't care anymore.

Never thought I'd actually say I no longer care but I will continue to dress formal, I will continue to enjoy those who are considerate of others around them and those who maintain ......it's my vacation and I'll do what I want and not care about any one else, so be it.

That's why we'll continue to get a table for two.

Anyone else feel like this?
Sponsored Links
Old January 31st, 2007, 07:01 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress Code on HAL.......Do you Really CARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
I'm definitely a traditionalist and dress in gowns on formal nights, DH in tuxedo and DH in a jacket on Informal. But, I have to admit I'm at the stage where I've fought the fight for as long as I am going to.

I used to say I hoped HAL would continue to try to get everyone to dress to a certain dress code but, while I will always feel it does effect the ambience when someone shows up in the dining room dressed inappropriately, I give up.

You want to wear your 'dress jeans' (what an oxymoron) ...... I'll find a way to look right through and not see Levi on your pocket.
You want to wear a blazer, no tie and khakis on formal night and call yourself dressed formal......again, I really don't care anymore.

Never thought I'd actually say I no longer care but I will continue to dress formal, I will continue to enjoy those who are considerate of others around them and those who maintain ......it's my vacation and I'll do what I want and not care about any one else, so be it.

That's why we'll continue to get a table for two.

Anyone else feel like this?
A table for 2, no, but as for fighting a losing battle I have to agree with you. I am not saying I love dressing to the nines or more, I lke to carry all the extra baggage, but I am not in favor of jeans in the dining room, especially on formal nights. That being said, it doesn't mean HAL or any other line isn't just as good as they once were and no, I am not going to let this bother me. You say it is your vacation, that apparently is the way many feel. They don't want to dress formally on their vacation. I think I care more about people entering the dining room neat and well groomed more than entering all decked out (pardon the pun) We had one guy on our last HAL cruise who was always wandering around even at night in his shorts and rubber flip flops. His hair needed cutting (I don't mean a nice clean hair style that is long, I mean scrappy looking) and he was just plain not well groomed. I will say he and his wife ate in the Lido cafe all the time, but it still bothered me to see him wandering around looking like a slob. Of course if it didn't bother him, why should it bother me? NMnita
Old February 5th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well I am new to the cruise game as I have only been on 2 so far,,,but,,,the reason I chose HAL was I was under the impression that it was closer to an old time traditional cruiseline. Face it, most of the major lines are owned by the same corporation and the way I figured it, if I wanted to drink and party all day and night , and dress like I do at home,,I would take a Carnival cruise. That commercial on TV (maybe for Princess?) that shows everyone being paraded around on the ship and being told when to eat and when the arranged activites are reminds me of HAL,,and that is what I wanted. I like to pretend on a cruise that I am used to finer things as they are presented by HAL. I do get the difference between freestyle and not,,and I wanted the not. I NEVER wear a sportcoat, let alone a suit or tux, in my real life. Most of my wardrobe is jeans, t-shirts, dockers and Hawaian shirts (In that order) so when I get on a cruise ship for me its a treat to have a dress-up night and an informal night. So I sort of don't like the dress down look in the dining rooms on formal and informal nights. But,,since there are no Clothes Police on board a ship, it does make me wonder why there are dressing rules anyway. But I still will use the time to break out a coat and spend time tying up a tie.

Volendam 9/04 Alaska
Maasdam 9/06 Canada
Zuiderdam 9/07 (booked anyhow)
?????? 8/08 (Europe bound)
Old February 5th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Racing_Ron
Well I am new to the cruise game as I have only been on 2 so far,,,but,,,the reason I chose HAL was I was under the impression that it was closer to an old time traditional cruiseline. Face it, most of the major lines are owned by the same corporation and the way I figured it, if I wanted to drink and party all day and night , and dress like I do at home,,I would take a Carnival cruise. That commercial on TV (maybe for Princess?) that shows everyone being paraded around on the ship and being told when to eat and when the arranged activites are reminds me of HAL,,and that is what I wanted. I like to pretend on a cruise that I am used to finer things as they are presented by HAL. I do get the difference between freestyle and not,,and I wanted the not. I NEVER wear a sportcoat, let alone a suit or tux, in my real life. Most of my wardrobe is jeans, t-shirts, dockers and Hawaian shirts (In that order) so when I get on a cruise ship for me its a treat to have a dress-up night and an informal night. So I sort of don't like the dress down look in the dining rooms on formal and informal nights. But,,since there are no Clothes Police on board a ship, it does make me wonder why there are dressing rules anyway. But I still will use the time to break out a coat and spend time tying up a tie.

Volendam 9/04 Alaska
Maasdam 9/06 Canada
Zuiderdam 9/07 (booked anyhow)
?????? 8/08 (Europe bound)
You made a referance to most lines being owned by the same company:I guess you know HAL has been owned by Carnival for about 10 years? It is fun to dress up sometimes even if it means dragging all that stuff with you, but you can do this regardless of the cruise line even though the styles are getting less formal and more relaxed all the time. I have to admit there are a couple of issues I am getting really tired of: 1-flex dining and dress codes: the subject has been beaten into the ground and the other; booze on the ship, should I try and smuggle it, why can't I do what I want and why do the cruise lines want me to buy their booze? These are subjects with no right or wrong answer. NMnita
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Admiral

sail7seas--I do understand exactly what you are referring to.
Unfortunately there seems to be a " dressing down " of people
everywhere and it has certainly spilled over to the cruise lines, even HAL.
I don't know why the cruiselines even pretend to have a dress code anymore-- I'm reasonably certain that if someone showed up for dinner
with their hair in curlers and a bathrobe on they would seat them.
After all, it's their vacation too !!
I'm certain that some folks on nude cruises buck the system and show up for dinner in clothes, rather than nude !!
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron
sail7seas--I do understand exactly what you are referring to.
Unfortunately there seems to be a " dressing down " of people
everywhere and it has certainly spilled over to the cruise lines, even HAL.
I don't know why the cruiselines even pretend to have a dress code anymore-- I'm reasonably certain that if someone showed up for dinner
with their hair in curlers and a bathrobe on they would seat them.
After all, it's their vacation too !!
I'm certain that some folks on nude cruises buck the system and show up for dinner in clothes, rather than nude !!
Ron, it would be interesting to know if the nudes do show up in clothes just to buck the system. I do think we are all batting our heads against the wall. NMNita
Old February 5th, 2007, 10:54 PM
Admiral

It had been several years since my last nude cruise--- and so middle age, a little fat, wrinkles, scars, etc. had all found their way onto and into my otherwise perfect body---so a few weeks ago on a " nudie " the other passengers all chipped in and bought me a couple outfits and sent me a note demanding I wear them all week !! I'll just never cruise with that bunch again !!
Old February 6th, 2007, 05:59 PM
Admiral

"That's why we'll continue to get a table for two." Don't care anymore huh? Sounds like you actually care very much, in a passive aggressive way.

Wow sail7seas, you are (in my humble opinion) missing out on one of the best parts of cruising, meeting and talking to interesting tablemates.

We have been on plenty of Holland America cruises and have never, ever, had the problem of anyone with jeans on formal night. If we ever did, we'd either live with it or ask for a different table assignment. We certainly wouldn't shun the human race.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old February 6th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Captain

Rich........

Please don't worry too much about our not meeting others on our cruises. Though it is kind of you.

Between all cruise lines, we have enjoyed over 60+ cruises and have met loads of wonderful people along the way.

Our pleasure is enjoying each other at our dining table for two. We certainly mix and mingle in lounges/pool/all over the ship but save dinner for us.

In our early cruising days, we used to request tables for six and eight and we enjoyed them very much. Then we reduced to a table for four. Now we like it to be just DH and me.
Old February 7th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Admiral

I envy you the 60 cruises, but we enjoy talking to tablemates about the day's activities. We've made a number of lifelong friends that way. A table for two would be awfully dull for us on a long cruise.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old February 7th, 2007, 04:17 AM
Admiral

We enjoy dressing up and will always take advantage of it and enjoy it with others.

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Captain

RichStacy.....

Of course one should never try to judge anyone else's relationship.....particularly when they have never even met them.

DH and I are very grateful that after 37 years of marriage we still have loads to say to eachother. We have noticed other couples seated in restaurants on land as well as at sea who stare at blank space throughout their entire meal. I feel sorry they have so little left to say to eachother. How sad for them.

How happy for us we still enjoy eachother best and are one another's best friends.

I wish the same for everyone here.
I would never presume to impose my personal preferences upon someone else. What I love, you may not. That's is the way it should be.
Old February 9th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Admiral

"I would never presume to impose my personal preferences upon someone else. What I love, you may not."

That is absolutely true sail7seas and I'm glad that you and yours find all you need in each other's company at dinner every night. I am equally glad that we find the company of our fellow passengers a rare and irreplaceable blessing. We enjoy the specialty restaurants so that once or twice during a cruise we can have an evening to ourselves, but meeting and greeting and discussing the days events ashore with others is fun for us. We have always been extraordinarily lucky with tablemates. Never a dud in the lot!

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Golden Princess
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Cruise Maniac

I care how other people dress, even they don't . But I agree with you, it's a losing battle and one we're not going to win. The world gets more casual, which somehow has morphed into sloppy. I was always taught that when you dress up for church or dress up to go to someone's home for dinner, it shows respect for God or your host/hostess.

On one of my HAL cruises, there was a couple onboard who cracked me up, or at least HE did. All thru the entire cruise, he wore nothing old jeans, a plaid shirt, and a hat like the one worn by Jed Clampett on the Beverly Hillbillies. Didn't matter if it was day or night, casual night or formal. I never saw them in the DR, so that wasn't an issue.

Shelby
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Dress Code on HAL.......Do you Really CARE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas

And that's exactly the right attitude to have. Unfortunately, societal mores are changing and there's nothing any of us can do about it. Dress is becoming more casual across the board ... not just on ships. I remember when people had to dress to the nines to go to work. Today everything is more "dress down" with casual Fridays and Easygoing Mondays and everything in between.

More specifically on ships, there are the new airline baggage regulations to deal with. Some people just don't want to use any of their limited baggage allowance stuffing gowns and suits and whatnot into the bags. Maybe they don't want to fork over the money for a tux or gown rental once onboard.

So why can't we all get along? I'm not saying people should be allowed to walk into the dining room on formal nights in jeans and a tee-shirt, but so what if they just wear a nice dress that would be acceptable for a finer restaurant on land?

If dressing to the nines makes you feel good about yourself, then by all means, you should certainly do so. But if others don't wish to partake in that custom, then they certainly shouldn't be made to feel inferior either.

Frankly, if I wanted to wear a gown and my DH a tux, I would feel especially good when I looked around the dining room and saw all the other folks who looked nowhere near as nice as we do. It would make me feel extra special ... sort of like a celebrity.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Ford_racing_Ron...

That commercial is by NCL to promote their Free-style cruising. And you are right that Holland does present a much more traditional experience than many other cruise lines.

I think the one thing the cruise lines could do is make it clearer that that there are options for people who do not want to dress, like the Lido Cafe for dinner. The food is quite good and you dine when you want.

However, I will be very honest and tell the world that I personally do not enjoy dressing up that much and often find reasons to stay in my room on formal nights, or go to the Lido. I very much believe in relaxing on my vacation and dressing to the nines is more like a job to me.

Especially when I lived in New York, where people dress in suits for work. I said "If I wanted to dress up, I would have skipped my vacation."

Now I live in Phoenix where no one ever wears a suit for any reason except funerals. I like living in shorts 6 months of the year. I want my vacation to be that way, too.

Bottom line, though, if someone else is not dressed to the ines, it is THEIR choice, and has nothing to do with the people who are dressed up. They are aware they are breaking the rules, and they probably even feel a little bad about it, but not bad enough to dress up.

When I worked on cruise ships a HAD TO wear a suit every night, for seven months straight. It got very old. I swore that if I ever had the chance to take a non-working cruise I would stay as casual as I could.

I am a big believer in informal cruising.
Old February 15th, 2007, 02:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I also feel to each his own. I love to dress up to the max, DH does not. I normally eat in the DR and make new friends, he prefers the Lido. We meet up after dinner and enjoy the shows and the public areas together.

We have never had a problem. For us, cruising epitomizes the ability for us each to do what we enjoy together or seperatly with no worries or concerns.

As long as people are dressed in a manner that is clean, neat and presentable I see no problem. I don't want to look at holey jeans or hairy armpits while I dine, other than that I don't care one way or the other.
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:37 PM
Administrator
Admiral

I started out working on Royal Viking line, which was the first true Luxury cruise line ever.

They were excedingly formal, nothing less than a uxedo for formal nights EVER. Men would buy the oddest tuxudoes just to be different, I mean with paisly cumberbunds, etc. It was great.

I really had to dress when i worked on that ship, ties every night. And I will tell you a secret, when I first got that job I knew nothing about formal dress. I had to start buying GQ to see how men's clothes went together.

I had suits with matching handkerchiefs in the breast pocket, argyle socks (with the design patterns on the sides), black shows and white formal shoes for daytaime (try finding those!).
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:10 AM
Passenger

I am looking forward to dressing-up for our cruise. In the past, it has been NCL and their informality. We did have a pre-conceived idea of what cruising would be like in formal-wear (stuffy, sophisticated, not comfortable). NCL was just so laid-back.

Having said that...it'll be fun to take the diamonds out of the safe and get the tiara sparkled for April 7. Altho the husband won't be in a tuxedo, he looks just a lovely in a three-piece suit

Do I care how the other passengers will dress? Nope! Every cruise it has just seemed to be 'us', totally alone. ...which is why we're hoping for a table-for-two. The cruise won't be sunk if that doesn't happen, however. We'll have a good time with table-mates...just as we have always had a good time on coach tours.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I agree with Ford_Racing_Ron. I like the tradition HAL has maintained of having formal nights, reminiscent of the golden days of cruising. While many people look upon this as anachronistic, I find it part of my enjoyment of cruising. Sadly, HAL is on the bandwagon of "lets become all things to all people" (which no one can do) and is dumbing down the dress code.

Sail, it is a hopeless battle ... I'm convinced of that. But I do care. I don't let what others wear interfere with my enjoyment in any way. I just think it's sad when people fail to respect the ambiance that's being created and those who are there for that ambiance.
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I said this before, and I want to try to explain it correctly - if you see a person not dressed formally, it is no reflection on you, it is just them.

I urge you NOT to be offended, You never know, it could be their first cruise and they didn't know to bring the nice clothes. They may have lost their luggage (its happened to me). Or maybe they just don't realize some other people will be "offended" because they consider it a personal choice.

Personally, I would never go to the dining room dressed innappropriately, but I will admit to sneaking into the casino after 11:00 pm in casual wear on a formal night. I mean does it have to be formal ALL night long?

At lone time I had very formal clothes. Owned a tux, dress shirt, bow tie, cumberbund, argyle socks, matchimg kerchiefs, matchig tie clips, cufflinks & studs. It was fun for awhile, but I am more into comfort.

I ws most surprised on Freedom of the Seas, an RCI mega-ship, they were dressed very formal for dinner.