Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:22 AM
Captain

Default Your BEST Surprise.......

What is the BEST surprise, most wonderful thing that happened to you on a cruise that you in no way expected?
Sponsored Links
Old February 9th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Admiral

Twice walking into our cabin and finding out we had conceirges (spelling) service. The first time it took us a couple of days to figure out. The second time was really impressive as we were traveling with 2 other couples. They got to share in part of the perks and DH wasn't sailing with me the first time it happened so he was in awe....NMNita

I guess the next thing and maybe even a bigger surprise was the entire experience of our first cruise. There is must nothing like that feeling.
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Admiral

That's a tough one. On one occasion we were invited to dine at the Capt's
table. We hadn't a clue nor had we " fished " around trying to get the invitation. On another occasion we were invited for a bridge tour. That too was a total surprise.
Other than that I can't think of anything that was a real surprise--we always seem to enjoy our cruise, rain, shine, missed port or whatever.
Old February 10th, 2007, 11:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Walking into my cabin and finding 4 bottles of wine, a certificate for a free dinner in the Pinnacle Grille, and a certificate for a free photo. All compliments of an online TA who I never met!

Shelby
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:20 PM
First Mate

Default Your BEST Surprise.......

Haven't experienced one on board as yet, but the best surprise was going on our first cruise after all these years of land travel not knowing how great it is to cruise.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
crabbie1
Old February 10th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Twice being upgraded to a full suite.
Old February 10th, 2007, 08:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Being Ms Maadam, Ms Amsterdam and Ms Volendam. What fun!!!
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Passenger

Receiving an invitation to sit at the Captain's table on QM2! It was an unexpected and fun evening.
Old February 13th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Passenger

To be honest, I am completely surprised ,every time that we sail away from the embarkation port,and the horns blows,that i feel so emotional and feel tears in my eyes! and that after at least 20 cruises!
:o

Edo
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Passenger

On our very first cruise (Western Caribbean) I was just so shaky with excitement it made my husband laugh.

He laughed even harder when we got back to our balcony cabin and he saw me just go to pieces over the two dozen carnations he had delivered
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I guess I'd have to say receiving the invitation to dine at that big round table downstairs has been the biggest surprize. It's never "expected," but is so enjoyable.
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:03 PM
Passenger

Well... I would have to say meeting a member of the opposite sex on board and sharing that vacation with him. It was certainly unexpected!

This was prior to DH, of course....
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Opening up my cabin door and seeing someone else's luggage and stuff all over the cabin. They had made a mistake and double-assigned my room to another single person.

On the same cruise (the Westerdam) the airline had lost my luggage. HAL generously gave me a $100 credit in the gift shop, and lent me a tuxedo for formal night. We were sailing from Venice to Croatia, and I never saw my luggage until we returned to Venice.
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Passenger

On first night of cruise wondering who our table mates might be. Turns out friends of ours knew we were cruising and surprised us. It was such a wonderful surprise.
Gloria S.
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Being invited to the VIP party on our second cruise. We have a very common surname and we positive that a mistake had been made. We were very nervous and didn't know what to expect. We had a marvelous time and the HotMan and Captain made us feel right at home.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

My best surprise ever was being told I 'got the job" when I applied for a stage manager position with Royal Viking Line. I haad been working audio in recording studios for years, but when I flew up to San Francisco and had the job interview, I had been told it takes weeks for them to decide what to do. Well, the gave me my first job on the spot, and told me I would be catching a ship sailing around South America in 6 weeks. I was so floored, and psyched I was waliing on air.

Now that I have been cruises nothing surprises me much anymore, sad to say. I know ships so well.
Old February 19th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default Maybe not best

This may not be the best surprise, but one time we all talking about the birthday of our cruise director in his office, and out of the blue was a cake delivered to his office as a surprise from the chef. It looked like a beautiful chocolate cake, but as we bit into it we all tasted something not very sweet and unexpected.

It had been laced with garlic. To this day we do not know if it was meant to be mean or a good-natured joke.
Old February 19th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to laffnvegas

I can honestly say that in all our cruises that have been little surprises that were great but the one that stands out of course was on our last cruise on the Zaandam. This was our first time to do a 10 day cruise and actually be on the ship for my birthday. The morning of my birthday we was shocked to open the cabin door and find balloons on the door and since we were right across the hall from the Neptune our Conciege came out right away to give me a hug and wihs me Happy Birthday. Then we had gotten off the ship in Cabo for just a couple of hours and when we returned there was a very nice bottle of Champagne with a card. Now here is the different part it was from the Hotel Manager on the Zaandam and from a Hotel Manager on another HAL ship that we consider a good friend. Everyone got a big kick out of it because they did not think they had ever seen another ships H/M on a card like that. That was just a very special birthday and one that will be extremely hard to top.

Now the next cruise in less the 4 weeks I am sure will be full of surprises and I am getting very excited.