Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penwah2002
Since everyone is in a helpful kind of mood, maybe someone can help me with this problem I face before my cruise in oh! 8 days... Should I match my toe nail polish with my fingernail polish? And, should I wear a dark pink or light pink? I know someone will have the answer. I'll check back later. Thanks
do whatever makes you happy. I do my toes in bright dark colors and because I am a little more mature and more conservative I leave my nails either pink or clear, but if you want flowers on each toe or finger, braids in your hair and purple lips go for it.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:32 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
I'd paint them all different ... each toe!
I agree but would avoid common nail colors and stick to the hues in a rainbow.
Old February 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
Passenger

I lurk on many boards for passive entertainment or information and it never dawns on me to jump in.
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaS
I am totally hooked on Cruise Mates and the other Board as well.
Ask any question at all. Even if it has been answered in the past, that answer could be different this time around. I find that things change so quickly ... cruise lines are constantly tweaking procedures and formats ... that even the answers to questions don't remain the same.

I find this board to be a more friendly place. I don't find too many people going at each other's throat here ... a refreshing change.

Think I'll hang around a while ... and I hope you all do too!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 8th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Beginner

....drum roll..... (crowd excitement builds)
....trumpets..... and the curtain opens to an empty stage with a sun rise appearing in the background

washaw (newest member of CruiseMates) walks on stage. (the crowd falls to dead silence. indifference? rapt attention? rotten tomatoes in hand they wait)

Hi. This is my first post!
Old March 8th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by washaw
....trumpets..... and the curtain opens to an empty stage with a sun rise appearing in the background

washaw (newest member of CruiseMates) walks on stage. (the crowd falls to dead silence. indifference? rapt attention? rotten tomatoes in hand they wait)

No rotten tomatoes here, Warshaw!

Welcome to CruiseMates!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 8th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Admiral

welcome washaw! its a nice place to visit. I too in the past i was mostly a lurker but my english is getting better. But I am still a bad speller.
Old March 8th, 2007, 06:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
welcome washaw! its a nice place to visit. I too in the past i was mostly a lurker but my english is getting better. But I am still a bad speller.
My english is fine and my spelling is the worst.....Don't let that stop you.
Old March 9th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
My english is fine and my spelling is the worst.....Don't let that stop you.
My problem is when I try to type on a laptop. Wait to you see all the typos and misspellings when I post from the ship. My fingers are just wayyyyy too fat for a laptop keyboard.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 10th, 2007, 01:26 AM
Cruise Maniac

You know that bugs me the most about message boards is when someone posts a question and then another person replies with "This question has been asked a thousand times, try using the search button, you idiot"

The effort that was expended posting that rude retort would have been much better spent answering the question for the 1001st time.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:01 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
You know that bugs me the most about message boards is when someone posts a question and then another person replies with "This question has been asked a thousand times, try using the search button, you idiot"
I agree that such a response to a new poster is certainly not productive. I work in IT, and I'll be honest ... I get phone calls that sometimes leave me reeling and calling people idiots after I slam down a phone ... but I've been humbled big time in recent days. It was my turn to be the idiot as I tried to get a laptop configured for wireless internet access so that I could use it onboard ship.

I went to Staples and told them what I needed. They sold me a wireless card, Word software and anti-virus software. Then I brought the laptop in here to work and figured it would be a simple matter of getting it configured during my shift. I ran into problems almost immediately.

I started, logically, with the anti-virus software. I install it, and then it wants internet access to load updates. I stop what I'm doing and plug in the wireless card and install it's software. Once everything was done, I still can't get on the internet. It's telling me there is no wireless network detected. I know that our whole building is set up for wireless access.

I give up on updating Norton's anti-virus files and figured I'd just go ahead and install Word. Well, guess what? I don't get to square one. The programs won't install because I'm missing something called a service pack. I need internet to get the service pack. Heck, I haven't used this laptop computer in three years so I guess there must be a lot of "service packs" I'm missing.

Bottom line, I wound up throwing myself on the mercy of one of our network gurus in the morning. He spent over four hours helping get me up and running. He was incredulous that I never updated my Windows system in three years. There were 64+ Windows updates that needed to be downloaded and installed. I felt like a total idiot ... especially when I had to admit to him that I wasn't running Windows updates at home either.
At least the wireless internet problem wasn't my fault. Our network is "masked," so hackers can't detect it. You have to plug in the settings into your software before it will let you in. So, at least that problem wasn't my own stupidity.

But the purpose of this long story is that we may think we're very clever sometimes ... and just when we do ... we get humbled real quick.

Believe me, after my experience at work this morning, I won't be too quick to call some of our warehouse users stupid. They're just struggling with technology the same way I am. And maybe some posters, especially the newer ones are also strugging and maybe don't know how to use the search function very well. Or, maybe they just don't have the time. So maybe we should all just be a little patient.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 11th, 2007, 01:48 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by washaw

Welcome ! 8)

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">