CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   I'll Never Understand........ (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/327749-ill-never-understand.html)

sail7seas February 9th, 2007 02:42 PM

I'll Never Understand........

I have been posting on several cruise Message Boards for many years and enjoy it very much. If I can't be on a ship at least I can be reading and talking about cruising/ships.

On the various Boards I visit, there are always more people who read and do not post than people who post on a regular basis.

I have never been able to understand how some folks don't ever post on any thread. I can see that maybe many threads don't interest them enough to post or maybe they don't have anything to add but for NO SUBJECTS? It is a puzzle to me that they wouldn't want to express an opinion about anything, ever ask a question, every answer a question or simply play around a little.

Of course there is absolutely nothing wrong with that but it is a puzzle to me. Maybe because I 'talk so much'. ;)

Can someone try to explain to me. Thanks.

jaggy February 9th, 2007 04:04 PM

Its strictly a guess, but I think a lot of people are somewhat intimidated. All to often, on the internet, a person takes that plunge and submits their first post of their opinions. Then, inevitably they get beat up and flamed and discouraged.

The internet tends to be a harsh environment. Not so much on the cruise boards, but in a lot of other forums. People tend to be much more bold and controversial than they would ever be in person. A lot of times you find yourself embroiled in a flame war trying to defend your opinion, or worse, your likes and dislikes. It always struck me as being odd that I should have to defend what I like or dont like. But, it happens. Even here.

Ultimately, a lot of lurkers read these flame wars and just decide to opt out of any involvement.

I may be totally off base here, but its an observation that comes from years of internet surfing and participation in a variety of forums.

Tim

Thoth February 9th, 2007 06:48 PM

I agree with jaggy. Flammers discourage a many from posting their ideas.. While cruise boards are generally friendly, I have had problems.
Once concerning religious tolerance, I was for it...others weren't. Another time I dared to criticize "blue" comedy, and danged if some people don't just love their blue comedy and their beloved F-bomb. LOL

Fern February 9th, 2007 09:54 PM

Well, as a person who post's on both of the major cruise boards I have to say that I enjoy this board the most!

Why? Because the people here are "friends". Generally, no one "cuts down" someone who asks a question for the "1000th time".

Everyone here enjoys helping other cruisers without saying "this was already posted-read it!"

Yes, it may have been posted before, but we respect each other and don't care how many times a particular question has been posted!

I think some people don't post on some boards because they're afraid of being "shot down". That won't happen here!

The people here are always happy to help!

sail7seas February 9th, 2007 11:26 PM

Thanks for your responses. I think you are probably right.

crabbie1 February 10th, 2007 06:31 PM

I'll Never Understand..........

jaggy is so correct as far as my first post on "the other site" was concerned. I posted a question regarding our first cruise and was slapped with one of those......did you just fall off the turnip truck type of answers. That was my first and last post on that site.

I ventured over to this site after a few weeks and read post for about two months before my first post. My question was answered with the utmost courtesy.

This site has the greatest people of any cruise site.

crabbie1

gsel February 10th, 2007 06:59 PM

I am new to this board and somewhat active on one of the other boards. To weigh in on this question...IMHO! The fear of being flamed of being seen as a cruise "newbie" can be very hard. Those of us who have cruised a number of times need to remember that when someone has never cruised before even just making that first decision to cruise is a very big step and there are a lot of questions that you want answered before you put so many $$$ down. Sail, we met very briefly in Panama before boarding the train. I still email Doone, hope to meet with her again on another HAL trip!

sail7seas February 10th, 2007 09:26 PM

Hi gsel.......

I'm not sure I'm the person you are thinking of. We've cruised FLL roundtrip to the Panama Canal about 4 times but we have never gotten off the ship and never done the train ride.

Three of our Panama Canal Cruises were HAL and one was Princess.

Do you remember which ship/when you think we met?

I'm glad I asked for opinions about why some people never post. Thanks for the viewpoints. I certainly understand what you are saying.

gsel February 11th, 2007 09:23 AM

Sail,
Perhaps not right before the train, it was on the Rotterdam a couple of years ago. Maybe I do have the wrong person! Anyway, I have always enjoyed your posts on the "other" board.

PacificHeights7 February 12th, 2007 12:25 AM

Jaggy hit the nail on the head !!! I like this site. People tend to be friendly and enjoy helping others.

sail7seas February 12th, 2007 05:43 PM

gsel....... Thanks for your kind words.

'Ya know. We did sail Rotterdam in March 2004 ten days round trip from FLL to the Panama Canal. Is that the cruise you are thinking of? That was a wonderful cruise that we really enjoyed.

gsel February 12th, 2007 06:10 PM

That's it! One of our favorites too. Rotterdam is one of our favorite ships, such an elegant lady.

sail7seas February 12th, 2007 08:49 PM

What Fun!!! I'm glad we figured it out. We loved Rotterdam from the moment we first boarded her. A True Flagship IMO..... and a very proud crew. They always stand just a smidge taller knowing they crew the beautiful Flagship (yah, yah....I know Amsterdam is her sister flagship TECHNICALLY. :wink: )

kryos February 15th, 2007 11:59 AM

Some people may feel it's not their place to post and thus they only lurk. For example, some people may only read the boards because they have never cruised and are only very casually considering the option and looking for more information about it. So, they hardly feel qualified to post a response to a thread about cruising.

For example, I lurk LuxuryCruiseTalk. I enjoy reading the posts on there, but I myself never post. Why? Because I know I would not likely ever travel on those ships ... the cost is beyond my means. So why should I post to that board? What possible insight could I offer when I've never been on one of those ships, and likely never will be?

Blue skies ...

--rita

jhannah February 17th, 2007 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryos
... the cost is beyond my means. So why should I post to that board? What possible insight could I offer when I've never been on one of those ships, and likely never will be?

Your next trip to 'Vegas might just solve that little issue for you! LOL

Mike M February 18th, 2007 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas
On the various Boards I visit, there are always more people who read and do not post than people who post on a regular basis.

I have never been able to understand how some folks don't ever post on any thread. I can see that maybe many threads don't interest them enough to post or maybe they don't have anything to add but for NO SUBJECTS? It is a puzzle to me that they wouldn't want to express an opinion about anything, ever ask a question, every answer a question or simply play around a little.

sail:

After years of moderating and administering these boards and as a participant on a number of others it seems that readers outweigh posters about ten to one. I find the main reason for this is that most people are just reading for enjoyment, research or feel they don't have anything to contribute. This is perfectly fine and I find myself falling into these categories most of the time.

There are many sub-groups of people who don't post and the most common are the ones who have a fear of "sounding dumb" and being flamed for it. If it's cruise related, there are very few dumb questions. Even "Is the water in the toilet fresh or salt water?" isn't really that dumb for someone who is interested in engineering or ship's operation.

Many of us have seen the alcohol questions, document questions and port questions many times but for a first time cruiser they are VERY important to them. That is why we answer them like it's the first time. We will also remove any responses that flame or embarrass them. We are very light on the delete key but this is one area where we have little tolerance.

I remember the first time I ever cruised. I asked the infamous alcohol question, on another board, and was flamed as being an alcoholic, cheapskate and rule breaker. No one told me if I could bring a bottle onboard for in cabin consumption. If my skin had been a bit thinner I may never had continued to research my cruise and my life would have been much different.

As you can see I don't have any problem talking but also love people who do.

Take care,
Mike

Underwatergal February 18th, 2007 09:10 AM

What I find difficult about a forum is not receiving ANY replies to a topic which I've presented...and yet there are comments in all the other topics around me.

IMO...that is rudeness...just like somebody standing next to you in a bar, you making a comment, and that person totally ignoring your remark. Lately I have accepted that there are just some things that ring my bell but which are boring to others :( Oh, well!

I have no problem in getting into a forum...as long as there are smilies to help me along. The plain written word can be read in so many different ways, and having a little face behind a sentence can sure clear away any major confusion.

Do I lurk? I have in the past, especially if info-only is wanted.

Paul Motter February 18th, 2007 12:18 PM

As the top dog in CruiseMates and a person who has been a professional "message board contributor" since I started with Motley Fool back in 1995, I have to say first of all that I love the CruiseMates staff, they are the nicest, most considerate people anywhere, but even more importantly..

NOTHING TICKS ME OFF MORE THAT A FIRST-TIME POSTER GETTING FLAMED!!!!

A first-time poster is often in an emotional state when they post anyway, they are frustrated and really need an answer. The last thing they need is to get a rude response that just gets them more upset.

Being a "pro" I know enough not to take message boards too seriously, but even I have gone to other (non-cruise) boards and been shot down by a group for asking a question and I can tell you I was obsessed with it for days! Boy was I steamed. That is why our staff here all know to treat new-comers with kindness.

sail7seas February 18th, 2007 03:16 PM

Thanks for your wonderful responses.

I finally understand. I have asked this question several times in the past and never got responses that 'rang true'. Now I Get it!!!

* One small comment about someone asking a question and not getting an answer. I certainly understand why the poster would have a range of feelings but one thing to consider is the possibility no one actually knows the answer to the question. In the future, if I see someone's (reasonable) question sitting there with no responses, I'll be sure to post simply that I saw the question and wish I could help but don't know the answer. I'll try to get the answer and at least the poster will know they were not ignored.

Thoth February 19th, 2007 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Underwatergal
What I find difficult about a forum is not receiving ANY replies to a topic which I've presented...and yet there are comments in all the other topics around me.

IMO...that is rudeness...just like somebody standing next to you in a bar, you making a comment, and that person totally ignoring your remark. Lately I have accepted that there are just some things that ring my bell but which are boring to others :( Oh, well!

It's nothing personal to appear ignored. Sometimes that will happen, so I simply repost it with a more catchy title. Such as change the title from "food" to "BAD FOOD !", or "late night bars" to "stupid drunks" ....that get's folks' attention. :roll:

Paul Motter February 19th, 2007 01:40 AM

Judy - you are wonderful, such a help to us all. You even straightened me out on a HAL fact I had wrong.

The truth is that about 40 people lurk for every person who posts. There are good things and bad things about boards where a lot of people post, you are more likely to get your question answered, but you are also more likely to get flamed and have to deal with a bunch of residual "noise" before you get the answer.

One thing I don't understand is people who get ticked off because someone asks a question they just answered, I guess people "should" search a message board before they ask a Q, but who does? I guess they don't realize who common some questions are.

But the people who get mad about it - no one is MAKING YOU answer the same question over & over. If you don't want answer it, don't. Or just type "scroll up."

carlalena1 February 19th, 2007 06:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter

NOTHING TICKS ME OFF MORE THAT A FIRST-TIME POSTER GETTING FLAMED!!!!

A first-time poster is often in an emotional state when they post anyway, they are frustrated and really need an answer. The last thing they need is to get a rude response that just gets them more upset.

Me TOO.

"My first cruise last week was kind of a disappointment, here's why."

"Looks like another drive by poster!"
"The OP clearly is a hit and run!"
"Why don't you find another kind of vacation? Cruising's not for you."
"Notice how the OP hasn't come back."
"If you let those things RUIN your cruise then you need to relax."
"Why don't you try NCL if you don't like rules- or appropriate clothes?"
"Try Carnival if you like a party atmosphere :roll: ."
"I guess Oceania is more for you. Goodbye!"

kryos February 19th, 2007 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhannah
Your next trip to 'Vegas might just solve that little issue for you! LOL

LOL ... yeah ... either that ... or maybe send me to the poorhouse. :)

Blue skies ...

--rita

Fruitcake February 19th, 2007 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fern
Well, as a person who post's on both of the major cruise boards I have to say that I enjoy this board the most!

Why? Because the people here are "friends". Generally, no one "cuts down" someone who asks a question for the "1000th time".

Everyone here enjoys helping other cruisers without saying "this was already posted-read it!"

Yes, it may have been posted before, but we respect each other and don't care how many times a particular question has been posted!

I think some people don't post on some boards because they're afraid of being "shot down". That won't happen here!

The people here are always happy to help!

I totally agree about this being a much friendlier board than others out there.
People here are very patient and helpful with newbies. And I never see rudeness here, which I see on other boards so often.
On this board you don't get the feeling there is a clique, and that if you say something they don't like, they'll gang up on you.
Another good thing about this board is that there is no heavy-handed censorship as there is on another popular board. The moderators here are fair and don't play favorites. They also don't seem to read into posts but take them on their face value.

Fern February 19th, 2007 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlalena1
Me TOO.

"My first cruise last week was kind of a disappointment, here's why."

"Looks like another drive by poster!"
"The OP clearly is a hit and run!"
"Why don't you find another kind of vacation? Cruising's not for you."
"Notice how the OP hasn't come back."
"If you let those things RUIN your cruise then you need to relax."
"Why don't you try NCL if you don't like rules- or appropriate clothes?"
"Try Carnival if you like a party atmosphere ."
"I guess Oceania is more for you. Goodbye!"

Hi carlalena1,

I believe I've seen your post! You won't find people here who will "shoot down" your posts! If you have a real complaint you'll only find people who either agree or disagree. And they'll generally say so nicely!

I hope you'll stay here for your info and for your opinions :) ,

Penwah2002 February 20th, 2007 07:01 AM

Since everyone is in a helpful kind of mood, maybe someone can help me with this problem I face before my cruise in oh! 8 days... Should I match my toe nail polish with my fingernail polish? And, should I wear a dark pink or light pink? I know someone will have the answer. I'll check back later. Thanks

jhannah February 20th, 2007 09:00 AM

I'd paint them all different ... each toe!

GloriaS February 20th, 2007 02:06 PM

Hi,
I guess I must be one that lurks. I don't have many questions as I have cruised over 30 times. Each cruise and ship is a new adventure. I have never had a cruise that I din't love. Not every cruise ship has the best bedding or the best food or possibly the entertainment is not the best. I go to just enjoy ourselves, never comparing ships or cruise lines. I usually don't care about which location on the ship our cabin is as long as it in the category I chose. We always get a veranda. When I get back from a cruise, I find it very hard reading the boards. So I usually book another cruise as soon as possible. Our next cruise is to Alaska on the Zuiderdam. This is our third Hal cruise.
I love reading the reviews and people's opinions of their cruises. If a question is asked and I definetly know the answer, I will respond.
I am totally hooked on Cruise Mates and the other Board as well.
Regards,
Gloria S.

rinker250 February 20th, 2007 09:57 PM

Gotta agree with Fern. ALMOST all here are friendly.

Although there are one or two just waiting to take a shot.

sharbil February 23rd, 2007 03:40 PM

Yes I also agree with jaggy. Sometimes I find that the answer to a question has been already answered to a point that I feel is enough said.I am new to these boards and when I see someone getting flammed,I really feel sorry for them.