Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Passenger

Default Has anyone been on HAL Rotterdam on the Verandha deck

My husband and I are taking a South American cruise on this ship. We really wanted a balcony, but they are not available. Instead they gave us a large (300 plus Sq. Ft.)handicap cabin on the port side in the front of the ship with a window. Sorry don't know the lingo - but it is cabin 6104. We are wondering if we will be able to access the front deck on that level to walk around . Based on the pictures it looks like you do have access just outside hall from our cabin or is it closed-in? We really like the size of the cabin, but is this a nice location or are we better off in the lower promenade deck window cabins where you can sit right outside the cabins?
Any information is greatly appreciated, this is our second cruise, the first was in a cabin with a balcony. Just don't want to get claustrophobic or cabin fever! ;0(
Old February 11th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Admiral

We've been on the Rotterdam on Verandah deck but mid-ships. The little vertical markings outside the window are stairs making the front deck accessible to all passengers. I believe there are lounges out there but I'm not sure. I think you can access the deck from a door along the hallway in from of cabin 6102.

The only drawback to having a cabin so far at the front of the ship is that if it is rough, you will feel it.

Personally I'd rather have a cabin on Lower Prom and be able to walk outside to a nice big verandah!

Don't forget the handicap cabin does not have a bathtub - only a shower stall.
Old February 12th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Has anyone been on HAL Rotterdam on the Verandha deck

Same here. Always mid-ships when on Verandah Deck. You will be able to access the forward outdoor deck. It's just outside of your stateroom. The South America trip can be chilly with rough seas.

Personally, I don't care for the Lower Promenade Deck at all. There are too many people walking past your stateroom window. If I were you, I'd consider a stateroom on the Main Deck. It will be a lot smaller than 6104, but if you can get mid-ships it should be very comfortable.

The Rotterdam is such a nice ship. You won't get cabin fever. There are tons of public rooms with expansive views to the outside. The library, Explorer's Lounge, Explorer's Cafe, and the Crow's Nest all have nice sitting areas beside huge windows for soaking in the great views. Have a great cruise.
Old February 12th, 2007, 05:11 AM
Passenger

Thank you both for your suggestions, I will check and see which other cabins are available.