Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:47 PM
Passenger

Default Has anyone just come back from a South American cruise

I know the weather is hard to predict, but my husband are I are wondering what kind of coats/sweaters to bring for the southern part of the cruise. We are leaving the 20th of March and know it will be the begining of Autum, but still warm in the southern cities. We start in Chile and end in Brazil. It is difficult know what to pack in situations like these especially knowing that we are normally light packers.

Decided to keep the cabin (6102) we have on the Varandha even though it is in front of the ship. We like the larger size and that it is on a higher level. Never had real problems with motion sickness, but will be taking wrist bands and medication just in case. Just wish someone could confirm if we can definitely access the forward deck from the hallway outside our cabin or not...just want to know if we will be able to a quick breath of fresh air or a quick picture.
Sponsored Links
Old February 13th, 2007, 07:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Try this link. It's a report from the Prisendam currently cruising down that way.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=480550

Constellation
Old February 14th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Passenger

Thank you!
Old February 15th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Passenger

It will be cool on the water from Santiago until you leave the Faulkland Islands. Montevideo, Buenos Aires, and Rio de Janeiro will be warm. I suggest you dress in layers. You'll love the Rotterdam. It's a really nice ship. The outside deck outside of your stateroom will be a great place to see the fantastic scenary.
Old February 15th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Passenger

Thanks you...I can't wait! I see you will be on the same cruise March 20, have you taken this cruise before before?
Old February 15th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

We did the SA/Amazon cruise last fall. We had an amazing adventure. There were a very few evenings when the breeze would blow up that a light jacket or sweater was nice. The days were very hot and humid.
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Passenger

Lolis, we will be on the same cruise ! We took the very same ship, HAL Rotterdam, last year. We loved it so much we're going again March 20. We're in 6158 on your deck. You'll love the scenery. The glaciers and fjords are magnificent. I think Holland America has the best itinerary around Cape Horn. We'll have two full days in Buenos Aires and disembark in Rio de Janeiro. Rio is a fascinating city. Another couple on this board is going to be on our cruise too.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Passenger

Default Thank you - Celebrity 100% refund

Pacific Heights - Thank you so much for all your help. We are just not used to traveling this way - if there is anything else you can think of please let me know. My husband and I love to travel - have traveled all over the world, but this is only our 2nd cruise.

Last year we booked an Alaskan cruise on Celebrity. The ship was dry-docked and the cruise was cancelled just a few weeks before the scheduled sailing date in May. We only found out 10 days before we were to leave and only because I checked our reservation on-line...Celebrity hadn't contacted our travel agent either. Nonetheless, Celebrity was excellent !!! By the time we found out, or credit card had already been credited for the cruise. They refunded everyone's money that were booked on that sailing, they paid all penalties for air, car rental and hotel reservations and on top of it all...gave everyone a free cruise! We re-booked quickly and took the cruise last 4th of July. It was a wonderful trip also - got spoiled with the balcony cabin!!!. The sad part was for other people. We were told by the car rental company in Seward, some people never got notified of the cancellation and showed-up at the docks with no ship waiting! Just thought I share this story because I've read on this site that other cruiseline are not as accomodating.

Pacific Heights and others on the March 20. It would be great if we could all meet for a drink with our significant other.

Kind Regards!
Old March 10th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Beginner

Default Rotterdam, March 20 South America

I've noticed a couple of postings here and wish to let you know that my husband & I will also be taking this cruise. Our cabin is 6103. We would enjoy getting together with others for a drink one evening.

Art & Vonda
Old March 15th, 2007, 02:20 PM
Passenger

That would be very nice. We are leaving tomorrow for a 4-day land trip before we board...see you then!

Wayne & Martha