Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Captain

Default Steiner's.......

Do you go for lots of treatments? Use their salon? Are you first in line to sign up for massages, manicures, hair styling etc?

Or......not your thing?
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Admiral

I've used Steiners 3 times over the years (pedicure, manicure and hair do) and have not been satisfied with any of their treatments. They are very expensive, compared to what I pay at home, so I get a pedicure and manicure at my local Spa before I leave. I do my own hair.

The one and only time I had my hair done by Steiners, I came back to the cabin and had to wash and set it myself.
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:27 AM
Admiral

I've only used their hair salon on occasion. I can get the same service at home, along with the assurance of using my regular stylist (whose work I am happy with). I've decided not to get my hair colored and styled onboard anymore. I'll just go to my own salon before the cruise. It's much cheaper, and the job generally done much better.

As for massages and the like ... I just have a "thing" about strangers touching me. A massage holds no allure for me ... either on land or at sea.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Passenger

I have never used a cruise lines spa...for anything. For one thing, just can't get around the price. Like the other posters, having manicures and such before the cruise is much less expensive in my own home town.

Another reason, however, is that because of being able to get 'more beautiful' at home, I see no reason to do so on-board ship. Cruises, for me, are for experiencing totally new things. Why should I want to repeat what can be enjoyed just around the corner from my house
Old February 16th, 2007, 12:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

My wife is a very professional masseuse (see her site: http://phxmassage.com) who has worked with athlete's and such. We went for a steiner's cleaning treatment where they supposedly sweat out your toxins and then have you shower and give you a massage. well, their process didn't work and I didn't sweat anything out. I guess my wife did, but she was not impressed with the massage.

In Hawaii (different line) they offer a Lomi Lomi massage (a traditional Hawaiian massage with specific technique. My wife took and then described it to a professional massage therapist friend of hers in Hawaii. She said it was hardly anything like the authentic technique. Just a "name" to market, which Steiner does so well.

My wife was impressed with Celebrity's acupuncture at sea (not Steiner), but which Steiner has co-opted to do on other cruise lines. I don't know how good it is when Steiner does it.

Overall, I have had a few massages from Steiner, and most were sub-par in my opinion. Some of them weren't even massages, they were just "stroking" - very disappointing. A couple were pretty good, though.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to laffnvegas

I know that many have commented that they have had bad experiences with the Spa on HAL which is Steiner. Maybe I am lucky but all my experiences have been fantastic. Now bare in mind I am not a Spa novice. Living in Las Vegas we have access to some of the better spas in the world. I had been spending days at the spa long before it became the thing to do The best spa I have ever been to was in Maui and the Grand Wailea but that would be impossible to duplicate on a ship. But in all honestly I think in recent years. esepcially since the Vista Class ships came out and had the Green House Spas HAL has done a great job with what they offer for facilites as well as I have had some of the very best massages on the ships. In all honesty one of the best was one I had on the Zaandam this past November. It was a port day and it was my B-Day not sure if that made a difference but I knew they did not have a lot of appointments and they actually gave me a much longer massage than I was suppose to have. It was also a Salt Scrub which is now one of my faovirte things to have done.

As for pricing again I guess living in Las Vegas changes my thinking a bit on this. I find the prices on the ship to actually be cheap compared to Las Vegas and Hawaii for that matter. Now living in Las Vegas almost all the resorts give a 10% to 20% discount to locals but trust me even after the discount I have had much better deals on the ship.
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Passenger

I threw caution to the wind and indulged in an onboard massage on the Zaandam last month. I thought it was fabulous, one of the best I have had. I had never had a hot stone massage; now I'm afraid I won't be able to have anything else! Of course, I don't like to have sore muscles after my massage -- I just want to be completely mellow and relaxed, and I certainly was Was it pricey? Oh yeah, but I'm on vacation, and I work hard all year so that I can pamper myself on vacation.

Oh, and I really love their "waiting room", relaxing in a lounger overlooking the seas with a nice glass of cranberry juice. Think they would notice if I arrived an hour early for my appointment next time?

Bonnie
Old February 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiting2retire
Oh, and I really love their "waiting room", relaxing in a lounger overlooking the seas with a nice glass of cranberry juice. Think they would notice if I arrived an hour early for my appointment next time?

Bonnie
No, they won't mind. The hot stones work to open up your pores so the oils soaks in more, and it heats the oil so the massage glides more. It feels good.

The massages I don't like is when they don't work into the the muscle. Yes, a massage makes me feel tremendously relaxed, I just want to got to bed afterward. It is because the kneading has released all the built up "toxins" in your muscles. You body needs to relax to eliminate those.
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

The only time I've been inside is to look around! I'm not a spa kind of guy!

I do like the Elemis products, though.
Old February 17th, 2007, 06:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have had several massages, all of them gifts, and although I enjoyed the experience I don't think I would pay those prices for one. I live right next to a massage/therapy school. I can spend over an hour there for $30. And wow, they do a great job.

I did have my hair put up quite fancily and they did a good job but it still wasn't worth the cost IMHO.

Their products are way expensive and don't do the good job that my regular products can do.