Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 15th, 2007, 04:17 PM
Captain

Default Traveling Lighter?

Are you packing less and less when you cruise if you have to fly to the embarkation port?

I know I am.

I'm tired of lugging everything I own and then worrying if they are going to put it on a scale and scream with indignation at the weight!!!

Are you thinking more about bringing less?
Sponsored Links
Old February 15th, 2007, 11:39 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

These days, with the new TSA rules practically forcing you to check luggage if you want to take anything liquid I am actually packing MORE than I used to. I have to wait for it anyway, so why not take extra clothes?
Old February 16th, 2007, 05:22 AM
Admiral

Definitely planning to pack less ... bringing more things that can "pass" for formal, yet still be worn at other times. Also, I'm not bringing the "toys" I used to bring ... like books and a large packet of CD's. Now, I will just be using the ship's library for reading material, and bringing just a few CD's along.

I'm not paying excess baggage fees ... not if I can help it. The cruise and related expenses are high enough.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Passenger

I've always traveled light. Have had to, due to regulations on how many bags can go aboard a coach for a three week tour. Have gotten good at washing things in the evenings, and using the blow-dryer for the final warmth. Swear by FeBreze, also

For cruises, however, my husband and I almost pack the kitchen sink. Fortunately, we have been in areas where either the cruise connection can be caught, or we can drive right to the port. How lovely is that! Eventually we will have to face reality, 'cause someday the Southern Caribbean will be enjoyed...and there just ain't no bridge from Miami to San Juan
Old February 16th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Sort of ... I guess. (Nebulous enough answer for you?)

I try to limit the number of pieces we take because there is toting involved and carts are not always available. Our big bag is very easy to fill beyond 50 pounds, so I am careful with my packing of that.

My carry-on I've used for years now is becoming iffy. British Airways wouldn't allow it onboard because it was too big, basically because of the wheels. We're talking 1/2" too long here. So I had to check it (once I removed some valuables.) I always like to have one change of clothing in that carry-on just in case the checked luggage is delayed for any reason.

I have always packed conservatively. I use a packing list and stick to it. On longer cruises I rely on the ship's laundry services so I don't have to bring umpteen suitcases. Sometimes it's a challenge, especially when doing several days pre- or post-cruise.
Old February 16th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Captain

I found I packed more mix and match type things for our recent Noordam cruise.

For our upcoming Maasdam cruises (two sets of back-to-backs) this summer, we can bring steamer trunks if we wish as we live about 30 minutes from the dock but I'm still going to pack lighter. I'm tired of unpacking tons of things and bothering with hanging/storing it all. Then, the end of the cruise, I spend way too much time packing it all back up again. It isn't worth it. We can wear the same pair of slacks more than once. We can manage with far less and we are going to do that.

You mentioned a nightmare of mine, Jim. I have valuables and necessities in my carryon I simply refuse to part with. If they weren't valuable or critical, I would have put them in the checked suitcase. What I do JUST IN CASE of a situation like you encountered, is to always have three of four plastic grocery store type bags in my carryon. If they insist I cannot wheel it aboard (though it is regulation size), I can take my valuables and medications out of the wheelie bag and put them in the plastic bag. I bring several just for reinforced strength. Don't want the Royal Family's jewels all over the airplane floor.

I haven't had to use those bags yet but I'm prepared just in case. Not a great idea to part with jewelry and trust you'll ever see it again.....or life sustaining medications.
Old February 16th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Passenger

Sail, I find myself packing less! But I also pack more "mix and match" items. More knits and things that don't wrinkle. I also cross pack items. That is, I pack some of my things in DH's bag and some of his in mine. That way of one bag gets lost he doesn't end up wearing my clothes! With the new TSA regulations I am less apt to worry about having just the perfect shampoos and lotions and settling for what HAL provides. I wear my heaviest pair of shoes as long as they are slip-ons and carry my coat.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:26 PM
Beginner

We will be on the 16 day Westerdam to Rome on April 1st. Then an 11 day land tour in Italy. Anyone with ideas on packing. The land tour only allows 1 piece of luggage per person and 1 carry on. I can't see taking a suit for what few formal nights there will be, and I would like to eat at at least one of them. I'm willing to take more luggage with us if we could do something with it in Rome.
Old February 27th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Cruise Maniac

The DaVinci airport has a left luggage facility. I have used these in the past and they work out very well. Here's a link for you to check out:

http://www.airwise.com/airports/europe/FCO/FCO_08.html
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Beginner

Thanks
It looks like a good option for us as we will be flying out.
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Passenger

Unfortunately, I almost always have to fly to cruise living in Toronto. Last month was only my second cruise (15 days) and I did a horrible job of packing . I thought I could get away with only one suitcase, so I got a really big one, packed it full, and then had to take over 10 pounds back out of it! Major casualties were shoes and books. I realized at the end of my cruise that I had packed way too many "just in case" items that I did not use, and would likely never have any need for. Live and learn. I will pack very differently next time.

My carryon is also an old one and I know that it would be touch and go on some airlines, or depending whether the person at check-in is having a bad day. I usually pack a soft fabric beach bag in my carryon so that I can use it to carry meds and expensive items if they tell me I have to check my carryon.

Packing is definitely a learning experience for me, and I'm sure I will get better at it as I cruise more often.

Bonnie
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

I have a lot of cruises under my belt and yet, every time I come home I see I've packed at least one thing I didn't wear. And every new cruise I swear I will do better Oh, well. Luckily we don't have to fly to get to our favorite ports so weight isn't a problem. We are luckier than most of you in that respect.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Passenger

We have always had to pack light as we live so far from our ports of embarkation and we always have to take International flights to get to our destination.

We each bring one suitcase, my DH carries his formal wear in a plastic zip up container which the air flight attendants always hang and we each carry on board hand luggage.

I mix and match and even when we have been on 34 day cruises, I have always had plenty of clothes and have not repeated the same outfit twice.

I do try and cut down on shoes which is hard but usually bring 8 pairs. After 13 years, we have down to a fine art.

Jennie
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:12 PM
Admiral

I am also packing less, I bring 1 book and some of the toileties
I buy there . i bring less clothes and have it wash on board. I am always afraid of passing the limit.especially when i have booze in my suitcase.
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Admiral

We take less now than we used to. Experience is a good teacher. We spend some time pre-planning mix-match outfits, etc. Don't take books other than a couple magazines that can be fitted in a side pocket in my carryon. If we need more reading mat'l, can use the library. We use the soap, shampoo, etc. furnished by the ship. Overall, I think we do very well regarding packing. And, there's always the cleaning /laundry if something gets soiled.
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

I have found that I am packing a little less. Here's my packing list for my up-coming 10-day Sea of Cortez Cruise on the Ryndam:

Greg’s Packing List
Clothing:

Formal Evening Clothing
Tuxedo
2 Formal Shirts
Bow Ties, cummerbund, vest, shirt studs, cufflinks, etc.
Dress Shoes

Casual Evening Clothing
Grey sport jacket (Black one to be worn in transit)
2 knit shirts (red & black)
1 blue button down shirt (cotton)
1 black silk print shirt
1 Hawaiian shirt (blue)
1 pair of nice Dockers (kaki)
1 pair of dress slacks (grey)
1 pair of dress slacks (black)

Daytime Wear (ship and shore)
3 daytime polo shirts (1 blue, 1 black, 1 green)
2 t-shirts
1 pair day-time slacks (older dockers)
2 pair of shorts
2 swimsuits
Workout wear and walking shoes & white socks
sandles

Other Clothing and Related Items
shorts and undershirts (12 pair under-shorts, 4 pair undershirts)
Hanging Laundry bag
Shaving Kit (all bathroom articles)

Stuff

iPod and On-Stage
Short, Multi-Plug Extension Cord
Prescriptions and motion medicines (Scopace)
Sun tan lotion
Tums
Sinus/headache/other minor pain medicines
HAL Maglight
Laptop
Digital camera(s) and assorted accessories
Video camera and blank tapes
A couple of books to read
Travel documents
Money (travelers checks/credit cards/cash)

And that's it .... two bags (1 Garment bag for Formal Wear and all hanging shirts) and a rolling upright bag for everything else (minus cameras and laps, etc., which come with me in a rolling cary-on.

Oh, I travel to the port in kakis, casual shirt (button down usually) and jacket with casual walking shoes for comfort in moving around airport, standing in line to board, etc. I also usually put a shirt to change into incase my luggage doesn't arrive before Lifeboat drill and I've sweated into the shirt I wore in-transit.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

No clericals, "just in case?"
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
No clericals, "just in case?"
Hmmm ... well, I might better to do that. And, clergy shirts don't weight much. Still ... this is a totally non-working cruise. I intend to PLAY.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
I have a lot of cruises under my belt and yet, every time I come home I see I've packed at least one thing I didn't wear. And every new cruise I swear I will do better.
I tend to be a light packer ... but it never ceases to amaze me how I can absolutely stuff two suitcases every trip. I'm not a clothes horse and do not feel I am bringing too much. Shoes are not a problem for me ... I wear a pair of good jogging shoes, pack a pair of dress shoes, and bring along a pair of flip flops and a pair of water shoes if I am planning on water excursions for that cruise. But it never fails. The suitcases seem to weigh a ton and they are both stuffed. What am I doing wrong?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:22 AM
Captain

Don't most airlines have a fifty pound weight limit? If your suitcases were over that weight, chances are someone would have informed you and probably assesed an overweight charge. Maybe they aren't quite as heavy as they seem to feel?
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Cruise Maniac

Packing will continue to be a challenge, it seems. The 50-pound limit is REAL easy to exceed. Used to be, you could have 70 pounds for international flights. No more. And now there are reports that some airlines are charging if you check more than one bag. I certainly hope that idea doesn't catch on ... but I have this gnawing feeling that the airlines will see yet another "revenue enhancer."
Old March 1st, 2007, 03:19 PM
Captain

I agree, Jim, and feel in the foreseeable future, they will charge for us to check any baggage at all. A certain sum for the first bag and a higher sum for the second.

One would hope that once they force us to start paying additional, maybe they'll higher more baggage handlers and perhaps even make at least a weak attempt to get more of our bags to where they are supposed to be.

The amount of lost baggage is staggering.
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:27 PM
Passenger

When flying to Europe from Australia, it doesn't matter what class you are flying in, whether it is First, Business or Economy, one is only allowed one suitcase. The difference in the classes is that in Economy you can only have 20KG, Business 30KG and First not much more.

Flying to the United States you are allowed 2 suitcases.

As we usually pick up our ship in Europe, we have only ever been able to take one suitcase each. Once you get into the way of packing lighter and mixing and matching, it does become quite easy to pack enough clothes for a 14 day cruise.

Our longer cruises have both started from across the Pacific so we have been fortunate in being able to bring along one extra smallish bag between us, that was all we needed for our 7 week and 6 week trips.

It can be done!!

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old March 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Jennie, it sounds like you have packing down to an artform!

Hey, I think HAL should bring you onboard as a guest lecturer. You could demonstrate the art of packing light. What a great service that would be!

I know my DW and I would attend. How about the rest of you. Would you go to a packing "class?"
Old March 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Passenger

I would be first in line! After traveling for years "in uniform" I need some lessons in packing in civilian clothes. I usually do pretty well, but could use some advice on shoes.
Old March 1st, 2007, 07:08 PM
First Mate

Default Traveling Lighter?

Jennie

You take the prize in packing.

We took a 7 day cruise in Hawaii, and my DW had one ralatively large suitcase, one garment bag, one carry-on and a personal bag. These also carried my things, but mine were mix and match. Hers were a complete change every day except for two days (mix and match). There is NO WAY she could pack for a 6 or 7 WEEK cruise.

We are cruising Alaska this comming June, and she is worried to death about not being able to pack enough clothes

She and a friend are going to fly to Italy and tour in November, and each person is only allowed ONE bag.......she will never make it.

crabbie1
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:02 PM
Passenger

Jim, gsel and crabbie1,

What a wonderful way to cruise, being a Guest Lecturer on Packing. I would love that!

Truly though, I am a very organized person and I have a list of clothes on the computer for every trip we have taken since 1994 when we did a Tour of Italy. We were doing a bus tour so I knew I couldn't overdo the packing!

Before each trip I make a new list for that particular vacation and check out what clothes I took previously which worked. I also know from the list of the previous trip, which clothes I didn't wear. Over the years I have learnt what to take and what not to take.

Just before we leave, I also make a list of Formal Wear, Informal and Casual and put down the various outfits for each night and also a list of the various outfits that I will wear during the day. It is so easy when on board, as I can look at my list and just pick out something for the day and evening On our 34 day cruise, I didn't repeat one outfit during the day and with 6 formal nights I managed to have a different outfit, whether it was a change of skirt/pants/top.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old March 1st, 2007, 11:16 PM
Cruise Maniac

Lists are important, IMO. It focuses you on what you're taking. It's a tangible check for what you NEED, and helps get away from the "I may need this so I'll take it" syndrome.

I began preparing lists a long time ago. (I still have every one on my computer.) I then tweak them for length of cruise, anticipated weather, and, of course, changes from buying new and discarding clothing. As Jennie noted, once you know what works it's very easy to pack efficiently.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 01:16 AM
Passenger

I learned my lesson several cruises ago when one of my bags exceeded the allowance which forced me to pull all our luggage out of the line to redistribute the weight.

Now we each have one bag and share a garmet bag for evening clothes.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:10 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Traveling Lighter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1
She and a friend are going to fly to Italy and tour in November, and each person is only allowed ONE bag.......she will never make it.
VeniceCruiser and I are gonna have the same problem on our flight from Venice to London at the end of our Veendam cruise. British Midland Air only allows one checked bag with something like a 44 pound weight limit ... one carryon in the cabin. We're gonna each have two bags to check and I'm gonna have to figure out a way to stick a laptop into my one allowable carryon back ... cause I know there's no way I'm gonna check something like that. There's no way around it. We're doing an 18-day cruise on the Veendam, followed by a TransAtlantic crossing on the QE2. Two bags as it is will be tight. We're both stuck. There's no way around it. We estimate we'll each be paying about $100 in overweight and excessive baggage fees.

Really stinks, if you ask me.

Blue skies ...

--rita