Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:32 PM
Beginner

Default Zuiderdam Cabin Selection

Hello, did we make a mistake in selecting a cabin?

We're sailing to Alaska on HAL's Zuiderdam (Upper Verandah outside stateroom F6001) out of Vancouver. I'm wondering if this was a good choice for "first timers" (motion. poor view, etc). Would appreciate any comments!

Thanks, MR
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Clarification, please. 6001 on the Zuiderdam is an inside, not an outside stateroom.

I believe Zuiderdam does the Inside Passage, so seas should not be much of an issue regarding motion. Such a far forward stateroom will produce more movement is the ship is pitching up and down. Again, I don't see that this will be a real problem for you.

The decision of inside/outside/verandah is very subjective. Many folks use their stateroom mainly to sleep and shower. They're out and about most all the time. So getting an inside is easier on the budget and serves their needs nicely. The insides are also great for those who are sensitive to light while they're trying to sleep.

Others like to enjoy their stateroom more, relaxing in comfortable attire (which may not be suitable for wearing out on deck.) Being able to look out at the passing scenery is a plus. Having a verandah is even nicer because you can just step outside to take in the views and fresh air.

If you have serious doubts, you may want to try to upgrade. On the other hand, you may see that this meets your needs just fine.

Good luck!
Old February 18th, 2007, 06:31 PM
Beginner

Thanks! We paid for an outside stateroom (confirmed), so I presume that's what we get! It's the Upper Verandah F6001 right at the bow of the ship. Just wondering about the location; here's the link:

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/...k=uv&year=next

What do you think? Appreciate your input!

MR
Old February 18th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Admiral

From the deck plans on HAL's website, F6001 does look like an Inside but they have categorized it as a Large Outside. It looks like it has a window so maybe that's why it's been classified as an Outside.

I can't tell you whether it's good or bad because we always take a cabin with a verandah mid ship.
Old February 20th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Passenger

Default cruise hal

Hello mrum 48.

What date are you sailing? My wife and son and daughter are all sailing June 9th
Old February 21st, 2007, 02:48 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Hmmm. I must have been looking at an old deck plan. The website does indicate this cabin has a window, but it's colored as an inside. Confusing.
Old February 21st, 2007, 03:53 PM
Passenger

I am not familiar with the Vista ships (yet), and I'm interested to know whether it is open deck that I can see in front of the window is 6001. It also appears that there may be a door to that area from inside the ship, beside the window of 6001. If this is correct, would one be able to pop outside the cabin, then out the door to the "front deck" of the ship??