CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Holland America (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/)
-   -   BEST HAL EMPLOYEE (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/holland-america/328329-best-hal-employee.html)

crusin' fool February 18th, 2007 06:03 PM

BEST HAL EMPLOYEE

Is there one special someone who made your cruise extra special? I know that HAL has the best staff around and they all seem to go out of their way to help you. I mean someone who really went the exra mile.

Mine would have to be the GRM on the Zaandam, Petra. We had a serious problem. She not only dealt with the problem, but spent the rest of the cruise seeking us out and sending us goodies of one kind or another. She even managed when we had a bad room problem from an inside cabin to a suite. Now, if that isn't going the extra mile I don't know what is.

Underwatergal February 18th, 2007 06:58 PM

It'll be so great to finally be able to answer this question :) It'll have to wait until the middle of April, however, as that is when our first cruise with HAL will be over.

In that respect...any member of the Oo staff which we should keep a special eye out for?

Paul Motter February 19th, 2007 01:52 AM

Would anyone mind if I posted the name of one I really did not apprciate at all? He was cruise director and he was very mean to his staff, a real backstabber. he would talk about us mean behind our backs to other staffers and the front office, and then just smile and act like your best friend when he saw you.

kryos February 19th, 2007 03:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Motter
Would anyone mind if I posted the name of one I really did not apprciate at all? He was cruise director and he was very mean to his staff, a real backstabber. he would talk about us mean behind our backs to other staffers and the front office, and then just smile and act like your best friend when he saw you.

Well? Don't leave us in suspense. Who was he?

Blue skies ...

--rita

carlalena1 February 19th, 2007 05:59 AM

Yes, who???

My winner: Captain John Scott of the Noordam. This guy was the best. I think I saw him more than anyone- with the exception of my cabin steward!

Our waiter, Usin, was the best waiter I have ever had- and he put up with a lot of grief from a couple at our table. In fact, I should start a thread about that...

But Captain Scott wins, hands down.

jhannah February 19th, 2007 09:43 AM

Man, this is hard! There are so many wonderful officers and crew members aboard HAL ships.

I agree that Captain Scott is amazing. He's really a great person, and so warm and friendly. Some captains have come across as "I'm here doing this and smiling because I have to, but I'd really rather be somewhere else." Not Captain John Scott.

Ali is one of the wonderful dining room stewards who we've had on two different ships. He was top-notch.

I guess overall I would say it's James Deering, Hotel Manager aboard the Oosterdam. He's truly a dedicated professional who shows genuine interest in the satisfaction of his guests. The only HM who I ever saw give people his business card with his phone number on it!

Paul Motter February 19th, 2007 11:11 AM

What do we mean by service?
http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/...al-service.cfm

I wrote this article about HAL. I had the worlds best room steward, he even sewed a button on my jacket on his own time when the laundry could not get it done on time. And this was when HAL had a "no tipping required" policy.

Who was the dreaded cruise director? I really don't think I should say, but his first name started with Ed*** and his last name ended with **jas, I once misspelled the last part of it as " *** ass " on a report, completely by mistake, I swear, but he saw it and turned green. He said "My last name only has one "s" !!!!!"

He met a showgirl on one of his cruise terms, and left his wife for her, who was pregnant with their child at time. She and I met online during this (it was a few years after I had left) and I shared email with her for a few months. She was livid as he just stopped making the house payments. Yes, things like that do happen on cruise ships, but not to good people.

carlalena1 February 19th, 2007 12:32 PM

hey Jim- did I read on another site known for its extreme slowness that Captain Scott had written a book?

DeeDee February 19th, 2007 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlalena1
hey Jim- did I read on another site known for its extreme slowness that Captain Scott had written a book?

No, his wife, Susan has written a book and I believe it's being sold in one of the shops on the Noordam.

DeeDee February 19th, 2007 01:08 PM

Quote:

Who was the dreaded cruise director? I really don't think I should say, but his first name started with Ed*** and his last name ended with **jas, I once misspelled the last part of it as " *** ass " on a report, completely by mistake, I swear, but he saw it and turned green. He said "My last name only has one "s" !!!!!"

I think I know who you mean and I agree with you! :roll: He was a JERK!!!

jhannah February 19th, 2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlalena1

Captain Hans Mateboer has written a book. "The Captain's Log." He isn't what one would call a stellar writer :) but the book is very entertaining. He recounts happenings and experiences with passengers through his maritime career. You may find it at most of the well-known book outlets.

Paul Motter February 19th, 2007 01:48 PM

DeeDee -

I worked for him on HAL as a stage manager. I went on the ship cold with one week training, and the next week they brought on a new show which needed new sets and light plots. All the setup for the show was done midnight to 6:00 a.m. and then I was supposed to do my daytime activities all day long and run the current shows at night. I had NO time to sleep.

I went to ed*** and told him my asst stage mgr was NO help, and that he refused to take over some of my simple daytime duties so I could sleep. Ed*** didn't back me up.

Jesse was my assistant. he did come around a few days later, but by then it was not much help. what a **jASS!!! And then when I heard about my hostess friend that he stabbed in the back with the home office in Seattle, and THEN his ex-wife, I just thought, "man, this guy deserves all kinds of bad kharma."

A few years ago I was sailing on HAL as a journalist, and he was on as a guest. You should have seen his face when he realized I was there to write about the ship. Jesse was on that ship, too! Working as a stage manager. I didn't have to say anything beyond hello, they could tell I was not happy to see them.

Anyway - I have to say Edwin was the total exception, I worked with a lot of other cruise directors on HAL and they were great. Rick Spath was one, and I hear he is still in the business. Also - do you remember the "TWINS" who were asst cruise directors? I had worked with them 10 years earlier on Royal Viking Line, and saw them again 10 years later on Oceania.

laffnvegas February 19th, 2007 03:52 PM

Oh My this is hard because there are so many that really should be mentioned. But the first crew member that came to mind is "Shy"
For several years he was on the Maasdam and he is currently on the Veendam. During the morning and lunch hour he is found in the Lido hand out the trays and during dinner he is in the Main Dining Room. He is truly a GEM. Then when I think of Captains I have two that come to mind the first is Captain Frans Consen on the Ryndam he is GRRRRRReat :wink:
Then Captain Jonanthan Mercer on the Oosterdam. Then I instantly think of two Hotel Manager. Both who I originally met on my favorite ship the Oosterdam. Henk Mensink who was most recently on the Noordam but will soon be on the Prinsendam and of course James Deering. One of my favorite Concierges (but there has been many) is Tiffany. Tiffany is no longer on a HAL ship but home in the Philipines with her new baby. I guess I could go on and on so I will stop here. It is obvious that it is HAL wonderful crew and the service they provide that makes HAL a great cruiseline. :D

FLLP February 19th, 2007 04:51 PM

I have two best HAL employees. I just love DJ Jazzy. He is so full of energy and loves his job. My HAL cruise consultant is also the BEST. Her name Toni Blodgett. Need to book a cruise, SHE IS THE BEST!!! As for Capt. Scott, yes he is great but if I had to pick just one....DJ Jazzy!!! He is on the Noordam right now.

carlalena1 February 19th, 2007 05:14 PM

Yes, I agree about DJ Jazzy. He was very fun and likeable. Scott still wins, though!

DeeDee February 19th, 2007 05:21 PM

Quote:

Anyway - I have to say Edwin was the total exception, I worked with a lot of other cruise directors on HAL and they were great. Rick Spath was one, and I hear he is still in the business. Also - do you remember the "TWINS" who were asst cruise directors? I had worked with them 10 years earlier on Royal Viking Line, and saw them again 10 years later on Oceania.

I do remember Rick Spath and his wife Patty. Last I heard he was with Disney, I think. Don't remember the "TWINS". Were they with HAL?

Paul Motter February 20th, 2007 05:45 AM

Yes, Rick's wife Patty was very sweet and it was good of HAL to allow her to sail with Rick. I also hear he is with Disney. I wish I could remember some of the other CDs I worked with, but I can be very bad with names.

The twins - they worked on the Statendam with me, and had worked on Royal Viking previously. Jeff & Joe Fithian were their names, and when they were tots they were on the TV show cheaper by the dozen. They have been around for years.

I first met them on RV Sky in 1983, and in 2005 I saw one of them working on Oceania Regatta.

It is funny how when youwork in the cruise business you run into people yuo know. I was onboard the Queen Mary 1 in Long Beach and saw one of the HAL singers I worked with working there.

Then I went on American Queen and saw three of the other singers I had worked with on a different HAL ship working there. People tend to stay with the cruise busuiness for a long time.

shonuf February 22nd, 2007 08:32 AM

My vote would also go to Mr. Deering, HM on the Oosterdam.

kryos February 25th, 2007 07:00 AM

John Challenger ... hands down ... my favorite HAL employee and CD. Great at his job, but nice and totally sincere too. You can tell he's not faking it or playing a role.

John has left HAL for landside interests, but I honestly think he will be back. You don't love your job that much ... and it is obvious he loved his job ... and then leave it for long. The sea will call him back ... and I just hope that when it does, he rejoins HAL.

You ever sail with him, Paul? Anyone else share these sentiments?

Blue skies ...

--rita

shonuf February 25th, 2007 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kryos
John Challenger ... hands down ... my favorite HAL employee and CD. Great at his job, but nice and totally sincere too. You can tell he's not faking it or playing a role.

John has left HAL for landside interests, but I honestly think he will be back. You don't love your job that much ... and it is obvious he loved his job ... and then leave it for long. The sea will call him back ... and I just hope that when it does, he rejoins HAL.

You ever sail with him, Paul? Anyone else share these sentiments?

Blue skies ...

--rita

We met John a couple years ago on the Galaxy. After a few minutes of talking to him, I asked him if he had come from HAL. He seemed surprised and asked if we had cruised with him before. I told him no but he had certain HAL "mannerisms". Very nice young man.

Puppylips February 25th, 2007 10:20 PM

Gildus, an assistant Maitre D' a charming man and very helpful.

crusin' fool February 26th, 2007 09:34 AM

Kryos: Isn't John Challenger fantastic! I can't imagine him on land for very long. I hope his land venture works well for him but I also can't help hoping he will return to HAL someday.

I haven't found another CD who so obviously truly loved his work.
Good choice Rita. He's kinda cute too, huh?

sail7seas February 26th, 2007 11:13 AM

I'm another huge fan of John Challenger and agree......he belongs at sea. While I wish him wonderful success in his new venture, I'd love to see him aboard a 'dam' ship again.

Jazzie Jeff is the absolute best and we loved seeing him on our recent Noordam cruise.

I wouldn't dream of detailing my favorite HAL crew people as I'm sure to leave someone out and I'd feel terrible. Besides.....the list would be ridicuously long. There are very few HAL crew we've run across who I wouldn't want to commend.

These kind of threads can be hurtful to a very hard working, kind, competent person who wasn't mentioned because we all had a 'brain freeze' or something.

I think HAL crews are all comprised of great folks who turn themselves inside out trying to give us 'the cruise of a lifetime' and I very much thank them for it.

JMHO.......

kryos February 26th, 2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas
I think HAL crews are all comprised of great folks who turn themselves inside out trying to give us 'the cruise of a lifetime' and I very much thank them for it.

I agree with you entirely, Sail. In fact, I'd bet that if you polled a bunch of HAL cruisers, you'd fine that at least 90% of the reason they sail the line is because of its wonderful crew.

Blue skies ...

--rita

earl February 27th, 2007 05:24 PM

I love captain Frans Consen, he had us in sitches last year on the
Ryndam .hes very friendly always had time to talk to you. or
stop for a minute to have his picture taken with you

aussiegal February 28th, 2007 06:11 PM

My favourite Captain would have to be Halle Thon Gundersen. He has a fantastic personality and is very personable. He loves the Prinsendam which he has been with since it was first designed back in the early 90's.

We had a great Maitre'D, Andre Mamangkey on the Veendam last year who really looked after us over and above his duty.

We have also had wonderful cabin attendants over the years. I don't think there has been one that didn't give more than 100%.

Jennie

crusin' fool February 28th, 2007 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by earl

RRRRRRRRRight. He's grrrreat.

kryos March 1st, 2007 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crusin' fool
Quote:

Originally Posted by earl

RRRRRRRRRight. He's grrrreat.

I've heard a lot about this captain, but have never had the pleasure of sailing with him. Hope he's on the Ryndam next January for our cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita

sail7seas March 1st, 2007 10:42 AM

Captain Consen is a fabulous gentleman. My DH so totally enjoyed his 'voice from the bridge' daily announcement on Ryndam that he waited daily to hear it. No matter who passed Captain where on the ship, he always had a pleasant word, time for a quick chat, a big wave and bright smile. VERY personable and delightful. We'd be happy to sail with him again any time.

kryos March 3rd, 2007 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sail7seas
Captain Consen is a fabulous gentleman. My DH so totally enjoyed his 'voice from the bridge' daily announcement on Ryndam that he waited daily to hear it. No matter who passed Captain where on the ship, he always had a pleasant word, time for a quick chat, a big wave and bright smile. VERY personable and delightful. We'd be happy to sail with him again any time.

Do you know if he's always based on the Rydam? Wonder if he'll be on my 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific sailing next January?

Blue skies ...

--rita