Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:14 AM
Passenger

Default What Would Be Your Ultimate Cruise??

I actually have two wanna-be cruises that fit into this category.

The first would be the one which sails to Hawaii from San Diego, and would include every single excursion I felt like doing, with no regard for the cost The accomodations would definitely have to be a balcony!!

The other would be to take a train to New York, climb aboard the QEII (or perhaps Queen Mary II), cross the Atlantic, end up in London, and then continue on to sail around the Mediterranean. For this trip...a suite!

Come on lottery
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Admiral

Okay, I'm geographically challenged, but I'll outline my dream itinerary with no regard to direction. I will also have no regard for the length of the cruise either. In this "dream," my boss gives me a blank check.

The cruise would start in Florida. It would do a Caribbean island or two and then a full transit of the Panama Canal. We'd wind up in the Pacific Ocean and then head off to Hawaii. We'd do a full day (at least) on each island and then head to the South Pacific. Bora Bora, Papette, Moorea, etc., would be our next stops. Then onward to Austrailia and New Zealand where we'd spend the better part of two weeks. Then we'd return to the West Coast ... probably San Diego, maybe doing a couple of more stops in the South Pacific along the way.

Of course, this cruise would probably take at least 60 days to complete ... and the order of the stops could be changed. Maybe hit Hawaii on the way back instead of the outward bound leg. I don't care. I just want to take this cruise and perhaps, because I dreamt it up, HAL will give me a free cabin on it. Oh, heck, let's just make it a luxury suite.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 19th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Every cruise I've been on has been a dream cruise!
Old February 20th, 2007, 03:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
Every cruise I've been on has been a dream cruise!
Yeah, but this would be one of those REM sleep-induced dreams.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 25th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Passenger

Default Ideal Cruise

My ideal cruise would be one that goes on and on. I would start with one cruise line until I have been to all the ports of call it offers, then I would get on with the next cruise line and do the same, until I have sailed with every cruise line and seen every place in the world. Aaaahhhhhhh, heaven.

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, wine in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming..... WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:12 AM
Admiral

Any of these around the world cruises.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old February 25th, 2007, 02:10 AM
Admiral

a full charter Motown and Jazz 7 day cruise that would have two destinations, Aruba and Half Moon Cay leaving from Fort Lauderdale..On the 2 sea days going down to Aruba it would be a PBS 60's Motown Revue featuring the original acts (Temptations, 4 Tops, etc), the ship would spend 2 days in Aruba attending the Aruba Jazz Festival and then the 2 days from Aruba to HMC would feature all the current hot Smooth Jazz Artist and then on the last day at sea spent on HMC enjoying a joint concert from both venues

I would have a suite with all of my friends who share my passions
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:06 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Ideal Cruise

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb61
My ideal cruise would be one that goes on and on. I would start with one cruise line until I have been to all the ports of call it offers, then I would get on with the next cruise line and do the same, until I have sailed with every cruise line and seen every place in the world. Aaaahhhhhhh, heaven.
I would do the same as you ... but only with some land time thrown in for good measure. I'd make note of those ports I really enjoyed and try to spend some time in them between cruises. Of course, I'm assuming money is no object here.

I can just see it ... 100 days doing the Caribbean, followed by ten days each in one or two special ports ... then board another ship ... perhaps one going through the Panama Canal and repositioning to the Pacific Ocean. Then do some Hawaii and the South Pacific. When I get tired of that, jump off the ship in Hawaii (forget the Jones Act) and spend a few months there. Then fly to the South Pacific, and get another ship there that is maybe going on to Austrailia and New Zealand.

One can get around the world at a nice, leisurely pace that way. It would sure suit me. Now, does anyone know what the winning Powerball numbers will be next week?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Thus far I have been on three of my "dream" cruises, and I have one booked.

Those I have completed:

1. Hawaii (round trip out of San Diego) ... done, now, twice.
2. The Panama Canal full-transit west-to-east.
3. Antarctica, touching ground (I did this on the Marco Polo in 1998).

I currently have booked:

1. The South American and Antarctica Cruise from Rio to Valparasio.

Future "Dream" Cruises yet to book:

1. Circle the Pacific
2. Hawaii/Tahiti roundtrip out of San Diego
3. Around Africa
4. South Pacific crossing
5. Circle South America with a visit up the Amazon
6. World Cruise (all the way around)

Granted, I've done parts of my dream cruises on other cruises ... like I've touched in Antarctica and I'm going back, again, with a particla circle of South America. But, for the most part, my "Dream Cruises" will all require either more time off than I can manage while still engaged in full-time ministry, or can only be accomplished when I'm on sabbatical leave. For instance, the most I can ever manage pre-retirement is the 64 day long Circle the Pacific cruise. The full circumnavigation of the world will have to wait until I retire.

Not listed in the above would be any number of lengthy transatlantic itineraries. I've done one crossing, on the Maasdam back in 1999. It was a North Atlantic crossing and I had a blast. I want to do a round trip crossing, though ... and I would love to do an extensive set of cruises in the Baltic. I also want to cruise the Med, but just haven't had the chance. But, I know I can and will be able to do so in the not too distant future. Those will be great cruises, I know, but I just don't class them as "Dream."

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:54 PM
Admiral

I am getting one booked... a trip from Miami to Rome..

The other would be a trip to Hawaii

Cruised more times than I can remember.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Admiral

Welcome to the CruiseMates boards, Rev! I was hoping we'd see you over here.

I don't know how "married" you are to HAL for your crossings, but one thing VeniceCruiser and I talked about for the future is a round trip crossing on Cunard. Maybe to Southampton on the QE2 and back on the QM2. We'd want to have some time to stay over in Europe, especially a side trip to Rome, so we couldn't just do a back and forth on the same ship.

But depending on your goals, you could easily book the QM2 round trip for a pretty decent price. They do run some $999 specials on certain TransAtlantics.

We're doing something similar to this on our April 1 cruise ... the Veendam 18-day TransAtlantic to Venice ... two days on land ... and then back to the States on the QE2. This particular run of the QE2 represents the last segment of their 2007 World Cruise, so fortunately, the ship will be going all the way to Fort Lauderdale (to do a Caribbean cruise after that). I'm getting off the QE2 in New York (relatively quick hop from there to Philly) and VeniceCruiser will stay on through Fort Lauderdale since she lives in Florida. Should be an interesting time, huh ... especially with my particular love of dressing formal.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Passenger

One can get around the world at a nice, leisurely pace that way. It would sure suit me. Now, does anyone know what the winning Powerball numbers will be next week?
Quote:

Rita, if you find out what those lottery numbers are, can I go in with you...Please?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, wine in one hand, chocolate in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming..... WOO HOO, WHAT A RIDE!!
Old February 26th, 2007, 12:48 PM
Admiral

be very careful what you ask for, you might not like it when you get it..cruising around the world would result in you gaining alot of weight and at some point I think all of us want to go home and sleep in our own beds
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:00 PM
Cruise Maniac

Rev. Neal: Welcome. It's good to see you over here. BTW you can take care of that Hawaii/Tahiti cruise; just join Kryos and us next Jan. on the Ryndam. We could have a great time!

My dream cruise would, of course, start in the large suite. It would include standing on the Great Wall of China, seeing a roo or two in the Outback, meeting a Geisha, seeing the Sistine Chapel, Oktoberfest, Carnival, cherry trees blossoming in Paris, hearing the bells of Vatican City, the canals of Amsterdam, the fjords in Norway.

I guess a world cruise would be what I want only they don't go to all those places in one voyage. Sigh. . .
Old February 26th, 2007, 02:07 PM
Passenger

my ultimate cruise experience would be with a small cruiseship like the Alexander von Humboldt on the Amazone river all the way to Iquitos.
http://www.nedcruise.info/alexander%20v%20humboldt%20and%20explorer-II.htm[/url]
edo
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Admiral

or cruising to Rio during Mardi Gras..or cruising to Venice during the Historical Regatta..or cruising to South Africa during their Jazz Fest
Old February 26th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by deb61
Rita, if you find out what those lottery numbers are, can I go in with you...Please?
You got yourself a deal.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:05 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo
my ultimate cruise experience would be with a small cruiseship like the Alexander von Humboldt on the Amazone river all the way to Iquitos.
http://www.nedcruise.info/alexander%20v%20humboldt%20and%20explorer-II.htm[/url]
edo
Did this cruise on the Veendam a year ago last fall. The Amazon is amazing. Did you know they have PINK dolphins in the Amazon river?
Old February 27th, 2007, 01:58 AM
Passenger

Our next two cruises will be our dream cruises. One is cruising from Tahiti to Honolulu and the other is cruising from Hong Kong to Athens via India, Jordan and Egypt plus going through the Suez Canal.

We have been extremely lucky as we have just about cruised everywhere in this world. We have been to South America and Antarctica, we have cruised from Vancouver through the Panama and up the Amazon finishing in Tampa, we have cruised from Boston to Rotterdam via Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland, have been to the Baltic, have done the Mediteranean, the Greek Isles and the Black Sea. We haven't been to South Africa as yet, but we are not fussed about visiting that country. We have also been to the Galapagos islands and across the Great Australian Bight as well as to New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji and New Zealand.

I would like to visit China and Japan by sea one day and we will be doing Alaska next year. After that it may be a World Cruise but not the whole 100 odd days, that is too long to be away from home.

Jennie
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:37 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by edo
my ultimate cruise experience would be with a small cruise ship like the Alexander von Humboldt on the Amazon river all the way to Iquitos.
edo
Did this cruise on the Veendam a year ago last fall. The Amazon is amazing. Did you know they have PINK dolphins in the Amazon river?
Thanks for telling me that, because i didn't know that the Veendam also did this cruise.Was it all the way to Iquitos?. I gone search for it directly!
Edo
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Passenger

We did the Amazon cruise on the Veendam last September/October. Unfortunately it only goes up as far as Manaus. I think it would be too large to go much further. It was a wonderful trip. We also visited Santarem, Boca da Valeria and Paritins. We spent an overnight at Manaus.

We also saw the Pink Dolphins which we amazing.

The Veendam is not doing it this year in fact I think the only HAL ship going up there is the Prinsendam.

Jennie
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:15 PM
Admiral

I would love to do the pacific rim cruise , so many different cultures
to see
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Welcome to the CruiseMates boards, Rev! I was hoping we'd see you over here.

I don't know how "married" you are to HAL for your crossings, but one thing VeniceCruiser and I talked about for the future is a round trip crossing on Cunard. Maybe to Southampton on the QE2 and back on the QM2. We'd want to have some time to stay over in Europe, especially a side trip to Rome, so we couldn't just do a back and forth on the same ship.

But depending on your goals, you could easily book the QM2 round trip for a pretty decent price. They do run some $999 specials on certain TransAtlantics.

We're doing something similar to this on our April 1 cruise ... the Veendam 18-day TransAtlantic to Venice ... two days on land ... and then back to the States on the QE2. This particular run of the QE2 represents the last segment of their 2007 World Cruise, so fortunately, the ship will be going all the way to Fort Lauderdale (to do a Caribbean cruise after that). I'm getting off the QE2 in New York (relatively quick hop from there to Philly) and VeniceCruiser will stay on through Fort Lauderdale since she lives in Florida. Should be an interesting time, huh ... especially with my particular love of dressing formal.
Thanks, Rita. Yes, I'm looking at the possibility of a crossing on the QM2. Cunard is my "other" Line. I want to do it all on ship, too ... the Atlantic crossings ... I don't want to fly. So .. cruise over, spend a couple of weeks in England with a side trip to Paris through the Chunnel, than cruise back. At least, that's my thinking. It'll be pricey, but do-able. If Christopher can find the time. If not ... I may have to find a way to do it myself.

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
Rev. Neal: Welcome. It's good to see you over here. BTW you can take care of that Hawaii/Tahiti cruise; just join Kryos and us next Jan. on the Ryndam. We could have a great time!
Thanks for the welcome. Can't do that one, however. Wish I could ... but not in Jan 2008. In Jan 2008 I'm doing South America and Antarctica on the Rotterdam. Perhaps I'll look into booking Hawaii/Tahiti for 2010? 2009 will be Asia (I hope).

Booked and Up-Coming:
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal
Our next two cruises will be our dream cruises. One is cruising from Tahiti to Honolulu and the other is cruising from Hong Kong to Athens via India, Jordan and Egypt plus going through the Suez Canal.

We have been extremely lucky as we have just about cruised everywhere in this world. We have been to South America and Antarctica, we have cruised from Vancouver through the Panama and up the Amazon finishing in Tampa, we have cruised from Boston to Rotterdam via Newfoundland, Greenland and Iceland, have been to the Baltic, have done the Mediteranean, the Greek Isles and the Black Sea. We haven't been to South Africa as yet, but we are not fussed about visiting that country. We have also been to the Galapagos islands and across the Great Australian Bight as well as to New Caledonia, Vanuatu, Fiji and New Zealand.

I would like to visit China and Japan by sea one day and we will be doing Alaska next year. After that it may be a World Cruise but not the whole 100 odd days, that is too long to be away from home.

Jennie

Jennie, You wouldn't by chance be interested in adopting a child (a 45 year old one, ) would you? That seems to be the only way I'll get to cruise like you. You are sooo lucky!! I'm really a nice person and quiet, you won't even know I'm there.....how much extra room do you have in your luggage? I can hold my breath for a really loooong time

Sounds like you have been able to enjoy all of the things I dream about....how wonderful !!!

Old February 28th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice
a full charter Motown and Jazz 7 day cruise that would have two destinations, Aruba and Half Moon Cay leaving from Fort Lauderdale..On the 2 sea days going down to Aruba it would be a PBS 60's Motown Revue featuring the original acts (Temptations, 4 Tops, etc), the ship would spend 2 days in Aruba attending the Aruba Jazz Festival and then the 2 days from Aruba to HMC would feature all the current hot Smooth Jazz Artist and then on the last day at sea spent on HMC enjoying a joint concert from both venues

I would have a suite with all of my friends who share my passions
I like the sound of this cruise.
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:56 PM
Passenger

My dream cruise would be 2-3 weeks in Indosnesia and no one could do this better than HAL and it's crew. Talk about connections. Of course this dream cruise would hit Papua New Guina in August for the SIng SIng, perhaps the most costly and worthwhile shore excursion ever. Then there's Komodo, Sulawesi and Java and endless days in Bali.
Old March 1st, 2007, 08:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal
Thanks for the welcome. Can't do that one, however. Wish I could ... but not in Jan 2008. In Jan 2008 I'm doing South America and Antarctica on the Rotterdam. Perhaps I'll look into booking Hawaii/Tahiti for 2010? 2009 will be Asia (I hope).
Ummmmm, Kakalina and I might be ready for another Hawaii/South Pacific run by 2010. Maybe we could all do it. Maybe we can even see if CruiseMates wants to make it a group cruise!

Trust me ... ain't nothing like it ... 30 days of shear bliss.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 8th, 2007, 12:56 AM
Beginner

I would like to do a long(4-6 wks) cruise(s)through Mediteranean/Greek Isles/Baltics combinations.
I would also like to do a Cunard TransAtlantic crossing.

(Oh, yeah, I'd want to cruise in a Deluxe Veranda Suite!)
Old March 8th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kristina99 Send a message via MSN to Kristina99

The 68-day Grand South America/Antarctica Voyage.

http://www.hollandamerica.com/dest/i...:WS8068&dest=W

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean