Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 19th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Beginner

Default Alaskan Cruise

Hey Everyone.

My partner and I are planning to go on a RSVP cruise in Sept. to Alaska out of Seattle. The cruise will be on Holland's Amsterdam ship. Neither of us have ever cruised before and both of us are very excited. Has anyone on these boards gone on this cruise before and how was it. Any advise welcome.

Thanks...Bill
Sponsored Links
Old February 19th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Alaska was our first cruise and it spoiled us forever! Alaska is so beautiful. There are wonderful things to do in every port.

The Amsterdam is a sister and co-flagship to the Rotterdam. They are lovely ships, and wear their flags proudly.

You can download HAL's shore excursion booklets from their website. Look through the offerings for the ports you'll visit. The problem will be deciding what you want to do, since you can't do it all in one trip.

Good luck, and enjoy your planning.
Old February 20th, 2007, 10:21 PM
Admiral

As said, Alaska was our first... and best
I hope the buffet on your ship is as wonderful as the Ryndam's.

You will be astonished at the glaciers in Glacier Bay.

Ketchikan is a fun touristy kinda shopping place. I do work at the USCG station there and recommend Foxes on the bluff.

We walked around Sitka and enjoyed the historical attractions.
Old February 21st, 2007, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Alaskan Cruise

BTDT, back about '02 when Amsterdam left from Bell Town instead of the southern terminal. September is a better price but weather will be much less sunny. Bring some rain gear and layered clothing. Skip the premium for a balcony - best in sunnier cruises. Nothing wrong with mist and light rain as it can add to the atmosphere and mystery of Alaska.

Alaska is typically a cruise taken by cruise veterans and older folks, and this especially applies to September when the kiddos are in school, so the crowd will be more mature, probably more formal.

Do take the boat excursions looking for whales, otters, and eagles. Would hesitate on the flying excursions depending on weather clarity.
See the totem pole park in Ketchican to pick up a little on the Native American flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stlguy_57
Hey Everyone.

My partner and I are planning to go on a RSVP cruise in Sept. to Alaska out of Seattle. The cruise will be on Holland's Amsterdam ship. Neither of us have ever cruised before and both of us are very excited. Has anyone on these boards gone on this cruise before and how was it. Any advise welcome.

Thanks...Bill
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas