Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2007, 07:15 AM
Passenger

Default CURRENCY....PORTS

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT...

AM SAILING WITH HAL IN SEPT....ASIAN STOPS ARE MY BIGGEST QUESTION.....THERE WILL BE 21 PORTS OF CALL....RE THE ASIAN PORTS, WOULD IT BE BEST TO CARRY U.S.$$$'s SINCE MOST STOPS ARE ONLY ONE DAY IN DURATION???

THANKS

KODI
Sponsored Links
Old February 24th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Admiral

If most of the ports use a specific type of currency, you might be wise to head to a local bank before the cruise and get some. Your exchange rates will be better. If you exchange the currency onboard ship, which you can certainly do, you will pay a higher rate of exchange because HAL has to make some money on the deal too.

You can certainly also use an ATM at your Asian ports to get local currency, but I personally would hate to spend valuable port time searching for ATMs, and would only do that if my ports had all different type of currency requirements.

You're probably not gonna need a lot of cash in port ... just money for perhaps a bite to eat and taxi fares. Everything else can just be charged to your credit card and they will convert into the local currency for you. But, again, you will pay higher exchange rates.

Personally, if it were me, I'd head to a local bank before the cruise ... in my neck of the woods Soverign Bank offers this service ... and get some local Asian currency. You'll pay less for the exchange. But just make sure you don't get so much local currency that you have a bunch left over ... cause then you'll pay again to convert it back.

Blue skies and enjoy your cruise!

--rita