Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah
Default Is an Alaska Cruise in Your Future?

Dust kicked up by the passage last year of new fees for Alaska cruise ships and passengers has settled down somewhat. Holland America has added 10 new shore excursions to its Alaska program this year, as well as some new port-cruise excursions in Seattle. There were lots of people who said they wouldn't cruise the Great Land because of the $50 head tax and other new fees. It seems HAL is trying to sweeten the pot, so to speak, with new offerings.

So how are you feeling now about making an Alaska cruise? Is the added cost just a normal piece of inflation to you, or do you still bristle at the additional fees enough to forego an Alaska itinerary?
Old February 25th, 2007, 06:18 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Is an Alaska Cruise in Your Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
So how are you feeling now about making an Alaska cruise? Is the added cost just a normal piece of inflation to you, or do you still bristle at the additional fees enough to forego an Alaska itinerary?
I have "issues" with the Alaska Cruise Passenger Tax. I won't sail Alaska anytime soon because of it. What would happen if Hawaii instituted such a tax? The Caribbean? Mexico? And ... on and on.

I think the places cruise ships visit on each and every sailing do very well because of those cruise passengers. The shops make out, the vendors, the restaurants, tour operators and even hotels that sell day passes. No one is "put out" by cruise ship passengers. Quite the contrary, cruise ships have revitalized many areas.

So, to be charged a tax for the "privilege" of seeing Alaska ... no thanks. There are plenty of other places worthy of my tourist dollars, so I'll spend them there.

But, I have to admit ... Alaska was never on my top ten destinations anyway. I'm a warm weather, beach type person ... so an Alaskan cruise never appealed to me anyway. Now, with the tax, it's a definite "no way."

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Passenger

I have to admit I am one of those people who would move to Alaska if I could talk the DH into it! We will be taking another trip up there this year. Our first was a three week trek in a motorhome (rented up there) and we traveled from Fairbanks to Barrow and Prudhoe to Glacier Bay. (Not all in the Motorhome!) I fell in love with the people and land of Alaska. We hiked in Denali, fished in Glacier Bay and watched the children playing in the streets of Barrow at midnight. The people of Alaska welcomed us with open arms. The tax does not bother us at all, we will continue to go to Alaska for the people and the beauty of the land.
Old February 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

Wow! Touring Alaska in a motorhome sounds great! Being able to stop whenever you wanted to would really enhance a visit.
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Passenger

It was the best way to really see the state. We actually only spent one night in the motorhome. We were with another couple and used the motorhome for bathroom facitlities,etc. It enabled us to see places the "normal" tourist would never consider going. The one night we did spend in the motorhome we were camped by a lake just south of Denali National Park. Just before we started to go in for our dinner we looked up and there was the mountain in all of her spendor, as clear a can be, not a cloud around. Didn't see it again the whole trip, but we did catch that one rare glimpse of the beautiful mountain. Don't get me started, we have stories that don't stop of our wonderful weeks in Alaska!
Old February 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to laffnvegas

Yes, we are returning to Alaska this year but in all honestly the cruise prices for Alaska on HAL or any other line for Alaska did not go up $50 per person they went up hundreds of dollars per person. The $50 is just chump change. If we would have kept the SC cabin we had oringally booked we would have paid just over double what we paid last year for an S Suite across the hall from the Neptune. We actually backed down to a SY GUAR and we are still paying $1100 more than last year for 7 days. Now I will admit we went the first week of May last year and this year we are going mid June. But the cost to go in May was still drastically higher. Granted I don't like the idea of Alaska collecting the extra money but it is basically small change in the whole relm of things. For us living on the west coast it is still cheaper and more convient to fly to Seattle or Vancouver than to the east caost or Europe. Besides the cost of flying say to Boston and doing the New England cruise is also extremely expensive. So I look at it if I want to cruise in the summer we are going to have to pay. I might as well make it a bit easier and fly a bit closer to get to the pier.
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Passenger

Lisa,
You will be getting on the lovely Noordam as we get off! We will try to take good care of her for you.
Barbara
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Is an Alaska Cruise in Your Future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
Well, I tend to bristle at any new tax, so yes, it bothers me. However, since we never have cruised to Alaska before, I will be doing it sometime in the future. If we could only free up some time in our busy, busy summers. Right now, timing is the only thing stopping us.

One day, we will do it.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 26th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to laffnvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsel
Lisa,
You will be getting on the lovely Noordam as we get off! We will try to take good care of her for you.
Barbara
Barbara, thanks My TA is leading a large group cruise the week prior to you so I will tell her to make sure she takes good care of it for you

We are really looking forward to boarding the Noordam, we figured this was going to be our best chance at least for a couple of years to sail on her here on the West Coast.
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:55 AM
Passenger

Lisa,
We had really not intended to go back to Alaska this year, but some friends talked us into going. They went last year on RCCL and had an awful time. Wanted to go this year and try again on HAL. Hope the Noordam lives us to the reputation. We are not sure about the "leisure dining", but will give it a try.
B
Old February 27th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Cruise Maniac

The Noordam is a great ship. It seems like HAL learned some things with the other Vista ships and really got things right with this one.

We're not fans of leisure dining, either.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to SakeDad

Jim & Lisa..we may have to start a Vegas HAL Club soon!!! I'm on the road with a show and won't be home until April for a week, then May just before the Alaska Noordam trip so don't know when I could attend, but if you start it, I'll join!!

As for the tax....I just booked Mom & myself on a trip and had NO IDEA about the tax. I simply looked at the rates as a whole. I think anyone who hasn't been paying attention to Alaska over the last year or so will have no idea or even care about it. If it's a good rate for a good trip we'll book it! I'm in an SS GTY Noordam May 20.
NCL Star Repo Aft Cabin 10730 4/24/08
Holland America Noordam Suite SA7086 - Alaska 5/20/07
Monarch of the Seas April '06 JS1580 Ensenada
Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River China, 10/05
Windjammer Barefoot, Grenadines (Gay Group)Admirals Cabin, Mandalay 8/02
See my Cruise Photos at www.sakedad.smugmug.com
Old March 3rd, 2007, 02:32 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

I'm seriously considering an Alaska Cruise on the Amsterdam out of Seattle for August. If I don't move this June I'll want a quickie.

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:29 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal
If I don't move this June I'll want a quickie.
... I'm surprised at you ... and a man of the cloth at that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:17 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakeDad
Jim & Lisa..we may have to start a Vegas HAL Club soon!!!
We've had one for quite a while, but haven't met in some months now. We occasionally have other cruise board members and HAL staffers come to town so we plan dinner together.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 10:29 AM
Admiral

With the new tax, Alaska is certainly not on our list of future cruises. We did it about 8 years ago, I think everyone should cruise Alaska once, but if we do the state again it will be with a motorhome or some other type of land transportation. We just didn't feel we got to see enough of the wonderful countryside.

NMNita
Old March 3rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal
If I don't move this June I'll want a quickie.
... I'm surprised at you ... and a man of the cloth at that.
Rita ... Rita ... that's a quickie CRUISE. But ... true ... they don't call us "men of he cloth" for nothing!

Wanna join me for this "quickie?"

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Admiral

Alaska to me is worth that little extra cost to see. Been on two cruises there ( S-Dam, and O-Dam), and will likely do another.

Read and post cruise reviews

Read and post cruise reviews
/ticker.png">
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Passenger

Default ALASKA

..well its a Tax I understand to be that Alaska imposed to protect the BEAUTY OF THAT LAND. So if you look at it that way what is the big deal.

Smart State I figure and more country's should start this. Might make people more enviro friendly and slow down the destruction we all are doing to are great planet earth.

Yikes now I have started something. Think I will go hide in my cabin now.

Cheers...Happy Sailing