Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Captain

Default Carry On/Carry Off?

Do you handle your own luggage at the end of a cruise so you can be first off or do you put it out in the hallway for collection and handling for you to claim it ashore?
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Passenger

We put ours out ... just too much to carry all that off. But I do have a very large "carry on" that I take off on my own.

Maybe if I had a very early flight and was worried about getting to the airport in time, I'd consider it. But I'd have to bring some gremlins to help!!! !
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Admiral

I always put it out on the last night, i am in no rush to get off the ship in the morning
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

The folks who carried off their luggage were still in the cab line when we got there.
They beat us by maybe twenty minutes.
Once you claim your luggage you'll still need a stevedore to help you through customs.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Passenger

We always put ours out the night before. There is no way I am going to carry our luggage off and we are never in a hurry to be first off. We usually stay a day or two in the port of disembarkation.

Jennie
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Unanimous so far. We always put our bags out the last evening. We keep a carry-on with us to take off the ship ... but that's it. HAL has always had things so well organized that we've never had any problem finding our luggage quickly.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by rinker250
The folks who carried off their luggage were still in the cab line when we got there.
They beat us by maybe twenty minutes.
Once you claim your luggage you'll still need a stevedore to help you through customs.
Exactly, and the stevedors don't start "servicing" the line until there are plenty of passengers off the ship and in that line. Since you still have to wait in line if you need a stevedor's assistance, carrying your luggage of the ship isn't going to buy you much in the way of time. It only works if you have plenty of strong guys in your party who can easily carry the luggage out to the waiting taxis.

Another point is that if you're taking a HAL-supplied transfer to the airport, that bus ain't going anywhere until it's full anyway, so you're gonna have to wait for other passengers to get off the ship and claim their luggage anyway. So you'll wind up getting to the airport at the same exact time they do. So why bother rushing off the ship and carrying off your own luggage?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:15 PM
Admiral

i think it is a pain to lug your own stuff plus it seems to actually slow everyone down. Why rock the boat (no pun intended) we have been putting our stuff out for years. NMnita
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:49 PM
Admiral

Not to mention that somehow there is always more luggage when we leave!!!
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Captain

Like the rest of you, we never carry our own bags off.

But,

Quote:
Exactly, and the stevedors don't start "servicing" the line until there are plenty of passengers off the ship and in that line. Since you still have to wait in line if you need a stevedor's assistance, carrying your luggage of the ship isn't going to buy you much in the way of time
Rita........

We are always in the first group off the ship and the stevedores most definitely help us through customs and to the curb to catch a taxi.

The first guest off to find their luggage gets the first stevedore. The more people they help, the more tips they collect for each disembarkation.
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:56 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Rita........

We are always in the first group off the ship and the stevedores most definitely help us through customs and to the curb to catch a taxi.

The first guest off to find their luggage gets the first stevedore. The more people they help, the more tips they collect for each disembarkation.
Yeah, but those first people off the ship have a more difficult time finding their luggage since there is more in the pile to go through. For some reason, I always have trouble locating my luggage even though it is somewhat distinctive. It is always buried in the middle of the pile.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

We put ours out for pickup. I do remember when Suite pax on HAL did not have to put out their luggage at night, but could leave it in the suite and it would be picked up in the morning. Just another of the fading away suite perks. I do miss that one.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:57 AM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggy
We put ours out for pickup. I do remember when Suite pax on HAL did not have to put out their luggage at night, but could leave it in the suite and it would be picked up in the morning. Just another of the fading away suite perks. I do miss that one.

Tim
Tim.......

I don't know why you are missing the option to hold onto your luggage until morning because of the ships we've been on in the last year and a half to two years, that has been an option on all of them. Ryndam, Veendam, Noordam, Maasdam and Volendam all still offer that choice for "S" and "PS" guests. We never opt to do that but some people do.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Our last HAL cruise was on Zuiderdam, Oct '06, and we were told by our cabin steward that our luggage needed to be out by 2:00AM. When I questioned him about it, he did not know of the morning option for suite pax. I asked the concierge in the Neptune lounge and she also told me they needed to be out the night before.

I assumed it was no longer an option. Maybe is only not an option on certian suites or on certain ships. We were in an aft suite, which is off the beaten path for suites. Who knows?

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam