Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Captain

Default HAL OnBoard Shops ....

What things to do you like to buy on your cruises from the ship's shops?

What things do you wish they sold that you haven't seen in the shops?
Sponsored Links
Old February 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Cruise Maniac

I always try to pick up a ships shot glass. There really isn't that much more I would buy. I find most of their products overpriced and underwhelming. I have purchased a few logo tee shirts for gifts.
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
I always try to pick up a ships shot glass. There really isn't that much more I would buy. I find most of their products overpriced and underwhelming. I have purchased a few logo tee shirts for gifts.
I generally do the tee-shirt thing. Since almost my whole work wardrobe is made up almost entirely of jeans and tee-shirts, I actually get use out of the tee-shirts I buy onboard.

Sometimes I'll buy a special thing ... like a HAL teddy bear. But that's rare.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old February 27th, 2007, 05:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I'm not much of an onboard shopper ... much to the chagrin of HAL, I'm sure.

We always play team trivia and such in hopes of getting our ship souvenirs that way. Am I cheap? (Don't answer that!!)
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Admiral

I like the cruise hats and theĀ*`` Dam ships shirts .
Old February 27th, 2007, 06:13 PM
Admiral

If we purchase anything it would be liquor, cigarettes or maybe logo shirts; I have had fun with the cheappy watches but last time none turned me on. I doubt we average spending $50 during the entire cruise. NMNita
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:52 PM
First Mate

Noyjing is a real deal in the shops as you can buy cheaper on shore.For example last year bought a citizen skymaster watch some 40% less in St Thomas and this holds true for liquor with the best prices in St MaartinHolland will match any price if you provide them a written add or invoice from shore.Did this on a second watch for my son and they did match AS for the cheaper watches you can buy in Walmart for even less.
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:24 AM
Passenger

As I use American makeup, Estee Lauder and Clinique, I like to buy these products if available as the saving is so great.

I have found that HAL seems to have stopped stocking them or only a few varieties which is a nuisance. Princess does seem to have a much bigger variety.

I also like buying perfume, as again the savings are terrific.

Jennie
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cruise Maniac

My wife has purchased several pieces of jewelry and some Waterford crystal in the on-board shops. I have purchased a couple watches and many bottles of licquor and cigarettes. I dont doubt that you could get a better price in some ports on most items, if you really, really shop around, but who wants to do that? My wife is convinced that HAL has some jewelry on-board that is just not seen elsewhere. And, HAL offers a one year unconditional money back gaurantee on jewelry. It even covers buyer's remorse or finding the same piece elsewhere at a better price or just not liking it anymore. So, my motto is, if you like it and can afford it, buy it. We have always been happy with purchases from HAL's on-board shops.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Admiral

As for the liquor being cheaper on land: it is but on some intineraries we don't hit the ports with good pricing: Transatlantic, Alaska and more recently, Panama Canal. NMnita
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Beginner

Since the subject of Hal's on board shops has come up, I'll take the opportunity to vent one of my few frustrations about HAL.

Compared to other large ship cruise lines, the HAL shops seem to stock a poor inventory of interesting merchandise. There are a few people back home who make my life easier and I always try and find them something of interest on board. In the HAL shops that's not always easy.

On the other hand, we were on the Star Princess in January and found their shops so much better as to be in a whole other league from HAL's. There was a great selection of interesting things in categories (sp) that HAL never stocks at all.

Hal does most things very well, but I think they do a poor job with their on board shopping opportunities.

IMO only
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:33 PM
First Mate

Amen,We just came off of both the Star and Caribbean princess and would totally agree that holland needs to improve their selection in a big way.
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Passenger

Several years ago on the Amsterdam, in St. Pete's, we were told to not buy soveniers on shore as HAL had a huge Russian bazar planned for us. Sure enough, the next day, it was a free for all, with all the cheap trinkets. People fought over the junk.

This was followed by a very special presentation of exquisite laquer boxes with prices starting at about $100 - $thousands. By the end of the cruise, all these were sold too. We were told this was the first time HAL had arranged to bring on so much high end stuff and they were surprised it sold so well.

The reason why the ship stores sell crap is that pax buy it. I do however, believe there is an untapped market within the captive audiance for unique quality merchandise, preferably from the areas being cruised. I think there is such a storng market onboard, that HAL could commission special pieces, if otherwise not available through mainstream sources.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammybee
The reason why the ship stores sell crap is that pax buy it.
And you can buy the crap on shore for half the price!
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Admiral

Quote:
The reason why the ship stores sell crap is that pax buy it. I do however, believe there is an untapped market within the captive audiance for unique quality merchandise, preferably from the areas being cruised. I think there is such a storng market onboard, that HAL could commission special pieces, if otherwise not available through mainstream sources.
Funny you should say this ...

On my last HAL cruise, I absolutely fell in love with these huge globes being sold in one of the stores. They were not cheap. The large floor model, though beautiful, was close to a grand. I really wanted one, but since I was faced with a possible work stoppage (strike) at my job upon return from my cruise, I really didn't think it wise to part with that kind of money. So, I bought a smaller version ... a little globe enclosed in a silver hand ... for about $160. I figured I'd get the floor model at another time.

Once I returned home ... just for giggles ... I "googled" travelers globes. Found the supplier HAL uses ... and the prices considerably cheaper.

Needless to say, when I am finally ready to buy my floor model globe, I won't be buying it on a HAL ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Funny you should say this ...

On my last HAL cruise, I absolutely fell in love with these huge globes being sold in one of the stores. They were not cheap. The large floor model, though beautiful, was close to a grand. I really wanted one, but since I was faced with a possible work stoppage (strike) at my job upon return from my cruise, I really didn't think it wise to part with that kind of money. So, I bought a smaller version ... a little globe enclosed in a silver hand ... for about $160. I figured I'd get the floor model at another time.

Once I returned home ... just for giggles ... I "googled" travelers globes. Found the supplier HAL uses ... and the prices considerably cheaper.

Needless to say, when I am finally ready to buy my floor model globe, I won't be buying it on a HAL ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Interesting: our DD got her hubby one of the big ones for their 25th wedding annersary last year. I think she went throug Ebay or something like that. We saw the same one on HAL for about $1300. Yes, the ship does sell top of the line, sometimes junk for too much. NMNita
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Captain

I find the quality, the selection, the appeal of the merchandise in the shops to be woefully lacking.

I love to shop and almost every cruise in recent months/years, I leave the shop with an insignificant whatever simply to have a souvenir of our cruise. They have almost nothing in those shops that I would give suitcase room to.

We were so disappointed we couldn't find a single thing in the shops to purchase during our Noordam cruise that indicated it was her Inaugural season. We found very little that even designated Noordam rather than just HAL.

Every other ship we have sailed during her Inaugural season, we purchase t-shirts, sweatshirts, caps, all sorts of doo dads........ We really wanted some Noordam things but no such luck.

HAL......please rethink what you are offering in the shops.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I agree with you Sails. There was absolutely nothing to buy on the Noordam, except I did buy 2 Noordam t-shirts for my teenage grandchildren.

When Alders ran the shops, I spent a lot of money buying cosmetics, perfume, watches, nice clothes that were not overly expensive and good quality t-shirts. Now they have nothing. I tried to buy Bulgari perfume in the small shop and they didn't have it - this was the first time I haven't been able to get it.

Alders used to have lovely acrylic V neck sweaters with the ships name and logo - I still have them and they have been through many washings and still look like new. Also still have a couple of very pretty cotton sweaters - nothing like that on the ships now.

Their cosmetic dept. is sadly lacking.

Too bad HAL contracted the present firm to run the shops as they certainly are not up to Alders standards.
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
HAL......please rethink what you are offering in the shops.
Sadly, it's not HAL that makes those decisions. The shops onboard are run by Starboard Services ... or some such name as that.

Blue skies ...

--rita