Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Admiral

Default Pinnacle Grill ...

Do you tip extra in the specialty restaurant onboard? Or do you figure that the dining portion of your daily auto-tip covers those servers?

Just curious about others' take on this.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:06 AM
Cruise Maniac

We tip the waiter, if the service is good. Since the service is always good, we always tip the waiter.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old February 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Cruise Maniac

I no longer tip extra in the PG. Since HAL implemented their auto tip policy I concluded that the amount they add on is the proper amount to cover everyone for the entire cruise. I used to tip more, but they made the decision to say how much, I now go along with their choice.
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:16 AM
Admiral

WE dod tip extra in the specialty dining rooms on all ships. NMNita
Old February 28th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Admiral

I had great last service last time so a $20.00 tip.there were 2 of us
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Passenger

Default Tipping in the PG

I asked the PG restaurant manager the last time we eat in the PG about tipping, and was told that service to the waiters was covered by the $10/day automatic tip. So I didn't tip.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Passenger

We had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill when we were on the Veendam and we didn't leave a tip that night. We figured that the tip would have been part of the $10 p.p. added on to our account each night

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old March 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal
We had dinner in the Pinnacle Grill when we were on the Veendam and we didn't leave a tip that night. We figured that the tip would have been part of the $10 p.p. added on to our account each night
At one time I tipped the waiters in the Pinnacle, but then I went there once on my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise with a large group of singles and solos. We had three large tables and I noticed that no one was leaving a tip. I asked the woman from the Cruise Director's staff about it ... she was the one who organized the dinner ... and she told me that it wasn't necessary to tip in the Pinnacle and that the waiters there shared in the auto-tip.

Since then I haven't bothered tipping in the Pinnacle. Like I said, I would prefer to save my extra tip dollars for the waiters in the main dining room who look after me very nicely all cruise long. And, especially now ... with the increased service charge of $30, I doubt I'd ever tip there again. For $30 bucks a pop, a gratuity should be included if one is proper.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:53 AM
Passenger

I've always left a gratuity in Pinnacle. Service and food have always been wonderful...

Claudia
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:14 AM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal
At one time I tipped the waiters in the Pinnacle, but then I went there once on my Hawaii/South Pacific cruise with a large group of singles and solos. We had three large tables and I noticed that no one was leaving a tip. I asked the woman from the Cruise Director's staff about it ... she was the one who organized the dinner ... and she told me that it wasn't necessary to tip in the Pinnacle and that the waiters there shared in the auto-tip.

Since then I haven't bothered tipping in the Pinnacle. Like I said, I would prefer to save my extra tip dollars for the waiters in the main dining room who look after me very nicely all cruise long. And, especially now ... with the increased service charge of $30, I doubt I'd ever tip there again. For $30 bucks a pop, a gratuity should be included if one is proper.

Blue skies ...

--rita
HI BLUE SKIES,

A bit of a topic change please, you mentioned in your post that you had been to the South Pacific.....I will be sailing on the Asia, Astralia, and South Pacific in September....have not been able to find many posts for these areas.....any comments would be appreciated....

KODI
Old March 2nd, 2007, 09:09 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by KODI
HI BLUE SKIES,

A bit of a topic change please, you mentioned in your post that you had been to the South Pacific.....I will be sailing on the Asia, Astralia, and South Pacific in September....have not been able to find many posts for these areas.....any comments would be appreciated....
I did the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise on HAL. This cruise did not go to Austrailia or Asia. I did post a review after I returned, as did Kakalina. It's on the "other board" ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=16114

Note that another person on that same cruise with me posted quite a different kind of review ...

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=15786

Same cruise. Two different takes on it.

When I take that same cruise this coming January, I hope to post a virtual cruise report, as well as a comprehensive review, right here on these message boards.

Blue skies and hope these reviews help ...

--rita
Old March 2nd, 2007, 10:05 AM
First Mate

Totally agree with you now that the charge is $30.It was not that long ago when you could eat lunch or dinner in the alternative restaurant for no charge.How times have changed.Just completed Princess on 2 different ships and their charges are way less than Holland and food and selection just as good.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:31 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
Totally agree with you now that the charge is $30.It was not that long ago when you could eat lunch or dinner in the alternative restaurant for no charge.How times have changed.Just completed Princess on 2 different ships and their charges are way less than Holland and food and selection just as good.
I think luxury suite folks can eat there free for lunch. The rest of us pay a charge of, I believe, $10.

Am I right about this? I've never actually stayed in a luxury suite but seem to recall reading something about suite passengers being able to take their lunches at the Pinnacle.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 3rd, 2007, 03:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisbum
I could be wrong, but I get the feeling that with all the complaints about service issues in the Pinnacle, maybe HAL increased the service charge to $30 in order to provide an added gratuity for the Pinnacle servers. I think they were rarely getting tipped and thus maybe weren't extended themselves to provide the stellar service that a specialty restaurant ought to be providing. After all, if the servers in there are only gonna get the same share of auto-tips that any waiter in the dining room or Lido would get, why bother to exceed standards?

Betcha that extra $10 per person goes toward a gratuity.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 3rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
I think luxury suite folks can eat there free for lunch. The rest of us pay a charge of, I believe, $10.

Am I right about this? I've never actually stayed in a luxury suite but seem to recall reading something about suite passengers being able to take their lunches at the Pinnacle.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Suite guests may have their breakfast in Pinnacle on most of the ships for no additional charge. It is delightful and most people who choose to eat there leave an extra gratuity for the stewards.

I have never heard of Suite guests being able to have lunch in Pinnacle at no additional charge. I think we pay the same as everyone.

The only time we have had lunch in Pinnacle was on our recent Noordam cruise and we were invited to lunch so I don't know if we would have been charged if we had been on our own but I think we would have.

Lunch was wonderful and we shall look to enjoy another lunch there on our upcoming Maasdam cruises.

We always tip additional when we dine in Pinnacle. I disagree with you about the 'betcha' business. I do not think that is the case.
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:31 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Suite guests may have their breakfast in Pinnacle on most of the ships for no additional charge. It is delightful and most people who choose to eat there leave an extra gratuity for the stewards.

I have never heard of Suite guests being able to have lunch in Pinnacle at no additional charge. I think we pay the same as everyone.
Oh, okay ... it's breakfast then. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I thought I heard about the Pinnacle being open only for suite guests for one meal. I mistakenly thought it was lunch.

As for the gratuity business, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I still say most people leave those waiters squat and HAL had to do something about that ... hence, the extra $10 charge.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:25 PM
Captain

Is this something about which you actually have knowledge or just a 'hunch'?
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Is this something about which you actually have knowledge or just a 'hunch'?
No, this is strictly a "hunch," Sail ... but a strong one.

I do know, however, that HAL is trying to encourage travel agents to book their clients on HAL by giving them financial incentives in the form of an ammenities package which includes a "Pinnacle Grill Experience" for their clients. Since this is a free "bennie," I would doubt clients taking advantage of it would be inclined to tip especially for that.

Based on that factual information, I am making the "leap," that when HAL raised the price of the Pinnacle Grill, they were not overly concerned about people choosing not to dine there any longer. They will have plenty of business just on the free vouchers, and those vouchers probably contain something toward waiter gratuities since it is unlikely many people will tip on their own. After all, it's supposed to be a free bennie, right?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Captain

It's rare when there ever is a free bennie IMO

I always feel it has been built into the price.

My conversations about the ships do not support your theory but who knows?!
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It's rare when there ever is a free bennie IMO

I always feel it has been built into the price.
Oh, the travel agents, for the most part, pay for the bennie package ... but the price is pretty cheap. It's an incentive to encourage them to steer their clients to HAL, rather than another line. They can tell the clients ... "if you book this ship, I can get you a really nice deal ... a free dinner for two in the specialty restaurant, a free cruise video ... etc., etc. For the first time cruiser, or an inexperienced cruiser not yet "married" to any specific cruise line, it sounds like they are getting something special and the travel agent looks like a hero. Good deal all around.

So, yes ... the ammenity package is certainly built into the price of the cruise ... but that price is very, very cheap.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:21 PM
Captain

It is pricey for cruisers who do not deal with a TA who gives them these benefits. Not all do. But, if you are correct, all cruisers have that built into their price. But not all will receive their free dinners and video.
Old March 4th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
It is pricey for cruisers who do not deal with a TA who gives them these benefits. Not all do. But, if you are correct, all cruisers have that built into their price. But not all will receive their free dinners and video.
It's funny, though ... but I think most TA's must have access to this package. On my last cruise, there were six of us at my dining room table ... two other couples, and then my cabinmate and I. Everyone was booked through a different TA ... not even the same overall company. One couple was through an automobile club, another through a "boutique" travel agency in Seattle, and my cabinmate and I through a large credit card company. All three of us had a free Pinnacle voucher, along with other booking perks, leading me to believe these ammenity packages are so cost-effective that just about every travel agent can afford them. And, if they result in more bookings for the TA, they are more than worth the probably very reasonable price they pay for them.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 5th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Passenger

Default PINNICALE

Hi Kryos,

Just a bit off topic again, but I didn't know where else to find Kryos....thank you for the thread for cruise critic boards... ..I found a large number of fellow passengers who are sailing on the 64 day Asia,Australia cruise....

KODI
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:57 AM
Admiral

Default Re: PINNICALE

Quote:
Hi Kryos,

Just a bit off topic again, but I didn't know where else to find Kryos....thank you for the thread for cruise critic boards... ..I found a large number of fellow passengers who are sailing on the 64 day Asia,Australia cruise....
rita@cruisemates.com will always get to me.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Admiral

Default Re: PINNICALE

Quote:
Hi Kryos,

You're gonna absolutely love of a voyage of that length. I only wish I could do that itinerary. Sadly, I've got quite a few years yet to work before a 64-day sailing could be in my future.

Enjoy!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 6th, 2007, 04:27 AM
Passenger

Default PINNALCE

HI RITA,

Well this trip almost didn't happen, but my friends told me to grab the gold ring....that it will be a trip of a life time....and I agreee.....my friends are in the same boat as you..still working!! We do travel together when possible, but none could do the 64 days either...so I will be doing this one solo...

KODI
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:12 AM
Admiral

64 days would be a dream come true. but I cannot afford it right
now and too much time away from my job, my boss would never allow it
it was be very rare for a company to let you go that long . even for people who own there own business.and how could you bring enough clothes with you with the new airline weigh allowance
Old March 6th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Cruise Maniac

As a point of clarification, the Pinnacle Grill or Odyssey used to be available exclusively to Suite pax for breakfast and lunch, free of charge. I know this because we used to take full advantage of this amenity. Unfortunately, on our last 3 HAL cruises, the amenity was no longer available. The PG is open to all pax, for an added charge. The charge also applies to suite pax. Just another suite amenity that has gone away on HAL.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Captain

My goodness......It's been Years since the days of Marco Polo and Odyssey Restaurants. Pinnacle Grills have been part of the ships since Zuiderdam joined the fleet. All the Marco Polo and Odyssey restaurants were converted to Pinnacles. No company can stagnate and make no changes or it won't be around for long.

Breakfast in Pinnacle Grill is still only available to Suites guests and there is no additional charge.

Lunch in Pinnacle is open to everyone and the charge is $15 per person. I believe Suite guests are also charged.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
My goodness......It's been Years since the days of Marco Polo and Odyssey Restaurants. Pinnacle Grills have been part of the ships since Zuiderdam joined the fleet. All the Marco Polo and Odyssey restaurants were converted to Pinnacles. No company can stagnate and make no changes or it won't be around for long.

Breakfast in Pinnacle Grill is still only available to Suites guests and there is no additional charge.

Lunch in Pinnacle is open to everyone and the charge is $15 per person. I believe Suite guests are also charged.
I guess the Odyssey is waaayyyyy before my time. It was always the Pinnacle Grill as long as I've been sailing HAL ships. I have a travel video here, though, that talks about fine Italian food at the Odyssey ... so I guess that video must be dated as well.

Oh, so they raised the price for lunch too. I didn't realize that. I know it used to be $10. I'd like to try lunch there one time, though ... never eaten lunch in the Pinnacle. So, I guess I'll pay it.

Blue skies ...

--rita