Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 28th, 2007, 04:18 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default WHAT WOULD IT TAKE

What terrible thing would it take to make you stop cruising and pick another vacation method? If anything.

Personally, I can't think of anything that would cause me to stop cruising. It is a way of life that we love. I think even an act of God or war would be something we would get over and still cruise.
Sponsored Links
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Passenger

I think with any sort of travel you do take a risk so I don't think there would be any one thing to stop us from cruising. We have always been away that terrorists could strike a cruise ship at any time but we are fatalists and we do not let that thought come into our plans for our vacations.

We love cruising but we also love our land trips so we feel we have the best of both worlds.

This year we have two cruises and two land trips, one a trip to Norfolk Island in two weeks time and then a 5 week trip to Ireland and Italy in September/October.

We will always cruise especially as we are getting older as it is such an easy way to have a vacation but while we are fit and healthy, we do love our land trips which often include doing a bit of hiking, using the wonderful trains of Europe to visit the countryside and the exciting cities.
We do love the culture and food experience of Europe.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah
Default What Would Make Me Stop Cruising?

Think "Poseidon." Other than that, I can't think of anything.
Old February 28th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to RevNeal

<whew!> That's a hard one.
I can't think of anything that might do it. Not rough seas, not disaster at sea ... I've got sea water in my veins.

Can't think of anything right now. Even Jim's "Poseidon Adventure" remark doesn't put a break on it ... and I'm "the minister"!

Booked and Up-Coming:
MS Amsterdam -- Alaska 14 -Days, September 7, 2012
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Admiral

Usually I cruise twice a year, april and nov. this year my daughter getting marry in april . the wedding will be at Puna Cana D.R. I try to convince her to get marry on a cruise ship . But the groom doesn't want to. so i am not cruising this spring. That 1 way to stop me from cruising.
Old March 1st, 2007, 10:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevNeal
<whew!> That's a hard one.
I can't think of anything that might do it. Not rough seas, not disaster at sea ... I've got sea water in my veins.

Can't think of anything right now. Even Jim's "Poseidon Adventure" remark doesn't put a break on it ... and I'm "the minister"!
I'm with you, Rev. A disaster can happen anywhere, at any time. Not cruising isn't going to protect you from one. So, I'd prefer to toss those concerns to the wind and enjoy my cruising as long as I am physically able. And, believe me, even if I had to board that ship on a scooter, I'd consider myself physically able.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:23 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: WHAT WOULD IT TAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
What terrible thing would it take to make you stop cruising
My death. Nothing short of that. We also do plenty of land-based vacations. But I'll always love cruising the ocean.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old March 2nd, 2007, 03:39 PM
Passenger

This is an excellent topic for a thread! ... makes a person think. I love threads like this because I'm always so interested in everyone's responses.

I think if an event like what was experienced around Cape Horn recently on the Prinsendam could put me off for a little bit. I once got violently ill on steamed clams (one of my all time favorite dishes) and I didn't eat them for years. But now I sure do!!!

But I have to admit that we are cruising as often as possible now because we see a future in cruising that we might not enjoy as much. We can't afford many of the lines that offer the cruise experinence we like the best.

So if they keep making ships bigger and bigger and changing the whole experience too much, we might stop cruising one day.

But then again, it's awfully hard for me to imagine a life without cruising
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Shores
But I have to admit that we are cruising as often as possible now because we see a future in cruising that we might not enjoy as much. We can't afford many of the lines that offer the cruise experinence we like the best.
I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I see the future of cruising and, at least to my untrained eye, it does not look pretty. Huge megaships, literally floating cities ... everyone sticking in with their own groups doing flexible dining ... not the kind of cruising I like. So, I am trying to take my voyages now ... while lines like HAL have the smaller ships ... because sadly, the day will come when EVERY ship will be a megaliner, and when that day comes, cruising will no longer hold an allure for me.

Blue skies ...

--rita