Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
Admiral

Default Favourite Holland America ship

My favourite is The Ryndam . I love the movie theatre,not a bad
seat in the house. It was the perfect size ship.nothing was too faR
away. I am trying her sister The Maasdam in the fall, I'm sure will love
this ship also.
Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:29 PM
Captain

My DH and I have always loved Maasdam. We have sailed her a great many times and have incredible memories of wonderful times aboard.

And then we saw Noordam. What a gorgeous ship she is and what a very special attachment we have to her. Quite extraordinary. Her crew is amazing and we truly love that ship.

I will always love both those ships and the crews who sail both of those beautiful ladies.

Fair winds and a following sea.......
Happy landings to both for many years to come.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 04:48 PM
Admiral

My very favorite HAL ship? the Amsterdam and why? because it is the only one I have been on.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:06 PM
Passenger

I have been on two Holland America ships, the Rotterdam and the Ossterdam. I love both of them, but I enjoyed the Ossterdam best because of our suite cabin.

Sailing March 26 on Pride of Hawaii first time on NCL.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

That's a hard question! Each has had its own character that I've enjoyed. The Prinsendam truly is "The Elegant Explorer." Her more intimate size is a great experience.

The Vistas are great, too. More public spaces, larger and more varied shops.

But as a whole, my fave has to be the Rotterdam. The right combination of size and amenities, stunning architecture and furnishings, and a real beauty. She carries the flagship designation proudly and justly. (Along with the Amsterdam, of course.)
Old March 2nd, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredapple
I have been on two Holland America ships, the Rotterdam and the Ossterdam. I love both of them, but I enjoyed the Ossterdam best because of our suite cabin.

Sailing March 26 on Pride of Hawaii first time on NCL.
As a true NCL loyalist as most people know let me fill you in on a few things. As much as I love NCL you will find it a totally different experience. I hope you love it. NCLA which is the Hawaii based ship company is a little different.

The dining choices are the selling feature on both NCL and NCLA plus the ships are filled with so much energy, but I don't think the food in the main dining rooms is nearly as good as HAL. Make sure you try the Blue Lagoon for a snack. DH and others swear by the hamburgers and I love both the fish and chips plus the buffalo wings.

The ship is new, as you know, so will be nice and fresh, but the cabins are not as large as HAL. We found the service equally good on both lines, but very different. HAL is more formal and professional but not as relaxed and down to earth as NCL. Because the Hawaiian itinerary is so port intensive you may not care about the onboard activities, but they do have more than HAL. Hope this helps a little. Enjoy Hawaii.

NMNita
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:10 PM
Passenger

My favorite is the Amsterdam cause she is the perfect size for me.

I came to HAL after one sail on Carnival which at the time, I thought was too big and a jump over to what was the Orient and wanted something larger. The Amsterdam was and remains perfect in my book.

I am not a huge fan of the Vista CLass but maybe the Noordam will change my mind on this.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Prinsendam used to be our favorite. Such a great little ship. But, since the Vista ships were introduced, we've fallen in love with the aft corner suites and their awesome verandas. We've been on Zuiderdam more than any other HAL ship and really do like her, but like the interior styling of the Westerdam and Oosterdam better. We have yet to sail on the Noordam, but are seriously considering a Nov. '07 cruise out of NYC on her.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via AIM to laffnvegas

Without a doubt my favorite HAL Ship is the MS Oosterdam There is just aspecial feeling we have when we cross that gangway onto the ship. We felt this the first time we cruised on her in May 2004 and have felt it when we returned. It's not that we don't like some of the other HAL ships, we like the Ryndam, Maazdam and Zaandam a lot but the Oosterdam just has that magical feel to us. We are so looking forward to returning to her in two week. It has been a year and we have missed her. Fortunately we will also be returning to her this coming December and March 2008.
Old March 2nd, 2007, 07:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita
My very favorite HAL ship? the Amsterdam and why? because it is the only one I have been on.
... kinda the same thing here. I haven't been on many of the HAL ships yet ... just the Amsterdam (2 times), the Rotterdam and the Zuiderdam. The Amsterdam is my favorite, though it is almost identical to the Rotterdam ... and both are the flagships of the fleet.

I'll be on the Veendam for 18 days next month ... so who knows? That may become my new favorite ship.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 2nd, 2007, 08:04 PM
Passenger

I have two favourites HAL ships, one is the lovely small Prinsendam and the other is the Veendam. After being on the Veendam for 34 days, one couldn't help but love her.

Stephen Card took us on the Statendam when she was in Melbourne recently and I loved that ship too. It had a lovely warm feeling about her.

I would like to cruise on either the Amsterdam or the Rotterdam one day but at the moment we are going for the smaller ships (unfortunately not HAL) as we like the size and ambience of them.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old March 3rd, 2007, 06:42 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiegal
I have two favourites HAL ships, one is the lovely small Prinsendam and the other is the Veendam. After being on the Veendam for 34 days, one couldn't help but love her.
My goal for 2009 is to sail the Prinsendam. I hear she is even unique to the HAL fleet.

Glad to hear you enjoyed the Veendam too ... cause that's the ship I'll be boarding in about four weeks! Yeah!

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hands down.........VEENDAM!
Old March 3rd, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
My goal for 2009 is to sail the Prinsendam. I hear she is even unique to the HAL fleet.
She certainly is. If you're a die-hard shopper, the onboard offerings will be skimpy compared with other HAL ships. But for giving a bit of that up you get a much more intimate feel. It's hard to explain, but it's really quite nice.

Plus, you can get from the dining room (aft) to the theater (bow) in about 90 seconds!
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:34 PM
Beginner

Having sailed the old Noordam, the old Westerdam, the Maasdam, the Oosterdam, the Volendam and the Zaandam....we still have a long way to go to cover them all....my favorite is the Volendam followed closely by her sister, the Zaandam.

We've sailed the Volendam twice on 10 day cruises and really enjoyed being on board. Her crew was the best we have ever found on any ship....after 40 years of cruising.

Last year we sailed Zaandam to Alaska and have booked her for the October first 10 day Mexican cruise this fall.

After reading all the rave reviews about the new Noordam, we are really looking forward to cruising on her
Old March 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Beginner

We've sailed on the Zaandam twice and love it. It is the perfect size and the crew really personalized our experiences. Ready to do it again.
Old March 14th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Admiral

I have sailed on the Maasdam, Zuiderdam, and Noordam, and the Noordam is my favorite (Zuiderdam a close second).

Booked Cruises
NCL Dawn 6/21/06 Bermuda

Past Cruises
10/30/08 X Constellation Caribbean
Costa Fortuna 3/08 Eastern Caribbean
Costa Magica 2/07 Western Caribbean
HAL Noordam 11/06 Eastern Caribbean
X Zenith 6/06 Bermuda
HAL Zuiderdam 5/05 Western Caribbean
HAL Maasdam 6/04 Canada/New England
CCL Triumph 12/03 Western Caribbean
CCL Victory 11/02 Eastern Caribbean

Old March 14th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default My favorite is Rotterdam

Although we have enjoyed Nieuw Amsterdam, the old Westerdam, the Zaandam, and the Maasdam, we liked Rotterdam the best. Thre was lots of open space and the ship was very nice. I would happily sail Rotterdam again.

Of course, after next month, we may like the new Westerdam the best. We'll just have to see.

Ruby Princess (Inaugural) -
Celebrity Mercury (30th Anniversary) -
Old March 14th, 2007, 11:33 PM
First Mate

The old Niew Amsterdam sailing to south america with violins in the loft during dinner and something special made at your table every nite.We dressed every nite and had to be the most elegant cruise we have ever been on and for the record we do have 110 days on Holland on many different ships thru the years.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Admiral

Default Re: My favorite is Rotterdam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
Although we have enjoyed Nieuw Amsterdam, the old Westerdam, the Zaandam, and the Maasdam, we liked Rotterdam the best. Thre was lots of open space and the ship was very nice. I would happily sail Rotterdam again.
There is a special place in my heart for the Rotterdam as well.

She was my very first cruise and my memories of time spent aboard her are very fond.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Passenger

I think the Veendam, but there is a very special place in my heart for the Rotterdam!
Old March 22nd, 2007, 05:49 PM
First Mate

Default Favorite HAL Ship

My wife and I are fairly new to cruising and have been on a limited # of
ships, but the VEENDAM is our favorite.

The right size in terms of # of passengers and everything was first class from the suite to hotel manager Fermin Van Walle who went out of his way to make us feel at home all week long.
Serenade of the Seas 07
Liberty of the Seas 07
Jewel of the Seas 08
Westerdam 09
Volendam 09
Solstice 10
Solstice 10
Caribbean Princess 11
Nieuw Amsterdam 11
Oasis of the Seas 12
Queen Elizabeth 12
Eurodam 13
Carnival Valor 13
Carnival Fantasy 14
Constellation 14
Carnival Valor 15
Old March 23rd, 2007, 07:45 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLLP
Hands down.........VEENDAM!
I am so heartened to see the Veendam getting so many votes as best ship. That's the ship I'll be boarding in less than ten days time.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:14 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Favorite HAL Ship

Hey, Mike L...

Are you taking the Transatlantic on Westerdam? I saw that you have a cruise in a few days and you have Westerdam listed for 07.

Old March 23rd, 2007, 08:16 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Re: Favorite HAL Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharHite
Hey, Mike L...

Are you taking the Transatlantic on Westerdam? I saw that you have a cruise in a few days and you have Westerdam listed for 07.
Oops. too early in the morning. Westerdam was 06. You're sailing on Splendor of the Seas in a few days...

Old April 4th, 2007, 06:59 PM
Beginner

I have only been on one cruise so have nothing to compare to, but I really loved the Zuiderdam when we were aboard. We are getting close to our Zaandam sailing and am curious to see the differences. I believe the Zaandam is smaller than the Zuiderdam..
Old April 10th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Admiral

Have been on three HAL ships. We like the Ryndam.

Polynesia, Carib. '86
Cr. Odyssey, Scandinavia, '91, 30 Day S Pac. 2002
Crystal Harm, Aust., N.Z., '94
Royal Odyssey, AK,'96
Old Cr. Pr. Canal, '97
RCCL, Carib, 1998
Volendam, Car, 2000
Ryndam, 35 day S. Am., Antarctica, '03
Is. Pr., Canal, 2004
Statendam, 34 day China, Japan, AK '06
Cr.Pr., Carib. 08
Eurodam, Atlantic, Med. '10
Golden Princess
Old April 11th, 2007, 02:47 AM
Passenger

For sure Ms. Oosterdam she makes you feel at home and stays in your heart.
Old April 12th, 2007, 10:56 AM
Beginner

Default Zaandam

This lovely small ship was super. My only thing with HAL is that if you are under 80, you are in the minority. I am 60 and was so BORED I thought i would die. Which by the way, one did. I was told on longer cruises, usually 2 do-nice what fun! This cruiseline, which has been around a very long time, pre-Carnival, caters to older, older crowd- no fun pool games etc- staid and dull.
Old April 12th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Zaandam

Quote:
Originally Posted by multi cruiser
This lovely small ship was super. My only thing with HAL is that if you are under 80, you are in the minority. I am 60 and was so BORED I thought i would die. Which by the way, one did. I was told on longer cruises, usually 2 do-nice what fun! This cruiseline, which has been around a very long time, pre-Carnival, caters to older, older crowd- no fun pool games etc- staid and dull.
Funny - we are in our 70's and have sailed with HAL for over 25 years and we are never bored. Guess you better try Carnival where they have lots of fun pool games and it's a younger crowd. Maybe the young ones on board will think you are too old!

To each his own eh!