Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
Beginner

Default Rough seas

My husband and I are about to book our first HAL cruise - Auckland to Brisbane. I'm nervous about the apparent probability of extremely rough seas between Milford Sound and Burnie. Is there a better time than November to make the trip? What are some suggestions to combat seasickness? How do others handle it? :roll: :idea:
Sponsored Links
Old March 3rd, 2007, 05:26 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Rough seas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamworthtravellers
My husband and I are about to book our first HAL cruise - Auckland to Brisbane. I'm nervous about the apparent probability of extremely rough seas between Milford Sound and Burnie. Is there a better time than November to make the trip? What are some suggestions to combat seasickness? How do others handle it?
I am blessed not to be susceptible to seasickness, but I have traveled with friends who swear by SeaBands. They work on the principle of accupuncture, so they are drug-free. You can get them right over the counter at your local drug store.

But if you are concerned, and want something a bit stronger, you can always pay a visit to your doctor before you leave and have him prescribe something.

As for the seas between Milford Sound and Burnie, I wish I could help you ... but I haven't been fortunate enough to sail to Austrailia yet. But, one day ... yes, one day ...

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 3rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Personally, I like meclezine ... the generic of Bonine. It's a non- or less-drowsy formula and although I've only needed to use it a couple of times it's worked quickly and effectively. I haven't noted any side effects.
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:28 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
Personally, I like meclezine ... the generic of Bonine. It's a non- or less-drowsy formula and although I've only needed to use it a couple of times it's worked quickly and effectively. I haven't noted any side effects.
Am I just strange, or what? I happen to LOVE rough seas.

Kakalina has a tag line on her signature ... "Happiness is a moving floor." That about describes it for me as well.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 4th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

Oh, I love the motion o' the ocean, too. But a couple of times I've been glad I had something to help settle my stomach. When dishes crash to the floor in the dining room, that's when my inner ear gets a real workout!
Old March 4th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Passenger

My Mother gets seasick in the bathtub! She has taken cruises with the patch behind her ear and swears by them.
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Passenger

By your name I am wondering if you are an Aussie. If so a lot of the medications that are being moted on this Board are not available here at home.

We have crossed the Tasman and we did not strike it to be rough and that
was in August, our winter. I know this year that the seas were very bad in January. One particularly crossing by the Statendam at the end of January was horrific. You can never tell if you are going to have a smooth or a rough crossing, it does depend on the weather patterns and it is just luck.

If you are prone to seasickness, go and get some good medication and start taking it before you leave Milford Sound so that you body has absorbed it and that will help you with the motion.

We were on the Pacific Princess in January, going to Vanuatu from Sydney and we had 3 days of Force 5 seas, which are not huge, but enough on that smaller ship to make a lot of people sick. On the bigger Statendam, it would take bigger seas to affect you.

Jennie

Until we sail on the Nautica - HongKong to Athens
Old March 4th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Passenger

By the way, Tamworth Travellers welcome to the Board. I see that was your first posting.

I am sure you will learn heaps about cruising from this Board. Just ask away and there certainly will be loads of people to help you.

Jennie

Old March 5th, 2007, 07:58 AM
Beginner

Yes we're Aussies too. Next time I visit the doctor I'll ask about medications then. We were on the Pacific Princess in March this year probably similar to yours in January. We caught the edge of cyclone Larry - it was pretty rough most of the time except when close to the islands. Thanks for the advice I will check out medications and be better prepared this time.
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default I agree with jhannah -- meclizine is great

Doesn't give me that drowsy feeling like Dramamine. Make sure you test out whatever you decide on at least a couple of weeks before the cruise. Some of that stuff - especiall the patches - can make you very ill.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Passenger

Default Re: I agree with jhannah -- meclizine is great

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezz
Doesn't give me that drowsy feeling like Dramamine. Make sure you test out whatever you decide on at least a couple of weeks before the cruise. Some of that stuff - especiall the patches - can make you very ill.
As Tamworth Travellers is from Australia, she will not be able to purchase Meclizine here. She will be given another sort of remedy for sea sickness.

Jennie

Old March 6th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Although like Rita, I have never gotten sea sick and think the rougher the seas the better I have spoken to o thers who swear by ginger. Also green apples and crackers are usually available at the front desk during rough weather and I heard they work well also.

Welcome to the boards, I am certain if you are not addicted yet, you soon will be.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Admiral

One time I use bonine., it works well but it left me very droggy.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:48 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Getting seasick is NOT fun. It can be truly miserable. But Bonine (meclazine) is very effective. Just be sure to take it before the nausea sets in.

Even a 1/2 pill may be enough.
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:51 PM
Passenger

I believe the best remedy for motion sickness or any type of GI upset is GINGER. Sold in virtually all health food sores. This is a great product to have on hand at home as well.

Ginger is also one of the few products that actually raises HDL (the good cholesterol) Stay Well!
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:34 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth
I believe the best remedy for motion sickness or any type of GI upset is GINGER. Sold in virtually all health food sores. This is a great product to have on hand at home as well.

Ginger is also one of the few products that actually raises HDL (the good cholesterol) Stay Well!
I think that is one of the reasons you see the yum yum man outside of the dining room each evening. He has lots of stuff like that to settle passengers' stomachs if the ship is rolling and they've just enjoyed a nice meal.

Personally, I think the best remedy for seasicknesses is to keep some food on your stomach. If you don't eat ... because you feel ill ... you're doing yourself a bigger disservice. I use this same technique when I do "crazy" stuff ... like aerobatic plane flights, high speed spiraling under a parachute, etc. Always eat a little something before you go up ... crackers, an apple, etc. ... nothing heavy. Then you'll find almost nothing makes you sick (loops, rolls, high speed dives in an aircraft), and, in fact, you'll come back down with a roaring appetite.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 15th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Passenger

I have used Bonine a few times and it's good stuff. Ginger is great too, but the secret is to begin taking the ginger at least a week prior to the cruise. We actually treat ourselves to crystallized ginger instead of pills or powder. Candy is always better than "medicine". I almost always ask for ginger after dinner during the cruise. It isn't quite the same as the type I have at home, but it seems to work. Good luck with whatever you try.
Toley