Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:09 PM
Passenger

Default "Kiddie" pools & Formal dining

First time poster, so please bear with me. My wife & I have cruised with RCL 4 times & were very satisfied on virtually all counts. We are now considering a 7 day HA cruise(Westerdam) with our married children & one 15 mo. old grandson.

Here's our predicament. According to the Corp. office at HA. Children that are NOT potty trained will NOT be allowed in any of the pools. This little boy LOVES the water. He is not potty trained. Will this simply cause more problems than it's worth? I wonder how other lines handle very young children & pools?

Point #2. Once again the Corp. office informs me that on formal nights, suits & ties MUST be worn. Not my style at all. A double breasted dark blue SJ & white shirt is my MO. On RCL this was never a problem, although I was in the minority.

Any thoughts &/or suggestions concerning one or both of the above would be greatly appreciated. Stay Well!!!
Sponsored Links
Old March 4th, 2007, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: "Kiddie" pools & Formal dining

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth
Here's our predicament. According to the Corp. office at HA. Children that are NOT potty trained will NOT be allowed in any of the pools. This little boy LOVES the water. He is not potty trained. Will this simply cause more problems than it's worth? I wonder how other lines handle very young children & pools?

Point #2. Once again the Corp. office informs me that on formal nights, suits & ties MUST be worn. Not my style at all. A double breasted dark blue SJ & white shirt is my MO. On RCL this was never a problem, although I was in the minority.
The information you've gotten is absolutely correct. However, there are ways around both issues.

Very few cruise lines have pools that the wee ones still in diapers can use. I think Disney has a splash pool for infants, and RCCL may have one as well. HAL does not.

What I would suggest for you is to bring along a little ... very little ... inflatable wading pool for the child. Also bring along a little bucket ... the type you would use at the beach. Then fill up the wading pool and let junior splash to his heart's content in there. If you have a balcony cabin, all the better. You can set the little pool up right on your balcony.

As for formal dress code ... yes, HAL still has a formal dress code on certain nights, though this really isn't that strict. Dark suits with a tie are fine. Men can even get away with a sports jacket and tie. Women have it even better. A nice pants suit, dress, etc. ... and you're good to go. HAL's formal dress code is not that strict and you'd have to be dressed like a real slob to be denied entry to the dining room.

However, that said ... if you really don't want to dress up at all ... simply eat in the Lido that night. They serve a full dinner ... pretty much the same thing that is being served in the dining room that evening ... and all of the tables have tablecloths on them and "fake" candles. Very nice ambience. The hours of dinner service are limited ... usually from 6:00 p.m. to maybe 7:30 ... but eating in there avoids all necessity of worrying about formal dress.

Technically, the rule for formal nights on HAL is that the formal dress code applies throughout the ship for the evening. However, that said ... I've yet to see anyone kicked out of a lounge because they weren't wearing formal attire. As long as you have decent cloths on ... no jeans or shorts, no sloganed tee-shirts ... you'll be fine. You can head right to the show after your dinner in the Lido and will have no trouble getting into the theater.

Don't be too put off by "formality" on HAL. It is really becoming very loose these days ... especially since the airlines have become so strict about baggage allowances. Some people simply refuse to bother packing formal clothing any longer ... and just make do with nice outfits along the lines of what they would wear to a Sunday dinner at a restaurant at home.

Blue skies and enjoy your voyage!

--rita
Old March 4th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Passenger

Great advise Rita. Your idea of the inflatable wading pool is a gem.

The reason why cruise lines do not want those yet toilet trained in their pools and hot tubs has all to do with hygiene. It's for the safety of everyone including the children.

As it relates to attire on formal evenings, some pax will not appreciate the SJ and tie routine and most pax will not notice or care.
Old March 4th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I believe you would be happier with another line. Dressing to the code shows respect for your host (cruise line) and fellow passengers. If you don't want to wear even a suit, I can understand. There are cruise lines where you are free to do that.

The child should not be allowed in any of the pools. Other lines make accommodation for that, but HAL (and others) do not.

You have had good experiences with RCL, so it seems to be in your best interest to stick with what you know and enjoy.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:45 AM
Passenger

Thanks go out to everyone for their quick responses. Great idea about bringing our own pool. We just might do that. Sticking with RCL, that too may be just the ticket.

I've also been very impressed by the rapier-like follow up from HA Corp. Here's some new information just received this morning. As of 5/07 it will MANDATORY for suites & ties to be worn on formal nights. They recc. the buffet if this isn't acceptable.

Bottom line, we're still in the process of sorting all this information out. Formal isn't our style but a quality buffet is no problem whatsoever. Personally I prefer buffets, but that's just me. I don't eat much & I'm very careful what I do eat.

Once again, thank you. Stay Well!!
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammybee
Great advise Rita. Your idea of the inflatable wading pool is a gem.

The reason why cruise lines do not want those yet toilet trained in their pools and hot tubs has all to do with hygiene. It's for the safety of everyone including the children.

As it relates to attire on formal evenings, some pax will not appreciate the SJ and tie routine and most pax will not notice or care.
My feeling with formal dress is this. As long as I am dressed "decently" ... certainly no tee-shirts or jeans or jogging pants or whatever in the dining room on formal nights, then other passengers shouldn't be spending a disproportionate amount of their time checking out how I am dressed. They should be way too busy having fun to be bothered by that. At least I know I am. Unless someone were dressed as a total slob, I wouldn't even notice what they had on.

As for the wading pool, I actually saw someone do that on one of my cruises, and I thought to myself ... what a neat idea!

I wholeheartedly agree with the cruise lines' prohibition against children in diapers in the pools. I don't care how good those swim diapers are. Accidents can happen. And there is no better way to take a pool out of service for the rest of the day than to have one child have an "accident." Granted, this can happen even with children who are not in diapers ... but the chances are overwhelmingly greater with those who are.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Cruise Maniac

What does one do with the "water" from the inflatable kiddie pool once Junior has had his fill of splashing around???
Old March 5th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Admiral

I do have a couple of thoughts here and one may not be to popular. As for the pool, there are no lines that allow toddlers to use the pools even in swimmy diapers. This is for health reasons. Many families bring along the little inflatable pools. My understanding is, the crew will help with filling and empting them. I don't know of anyone who has actually used one, but I have been told this.

Now, the second thing: I agree with jhanna, HAL may not be the cruise line for you. As much as they are trying to attract families it is still a line for the mature cruiser that enjoys a pretty sudate atmosphere. Dress codes need to be respected. I know many who do not like to dress the the nines, but I have always felt whatever the cruise line's policy is, everyone should follow it. If I were you I would continue with RCI for the time being or give NCL a shot. NMnita
Old March 5th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
My feeling with formal dress is this. As long as I am dressed "decently" ... certainly no tee-shirts or jeans or jogging pants or whatever in the dining room on formal nights ...
This is the crux of the issue with dress codes. Everyone has their own standard. Yours, Rita, is that no tee-shirts, jeans, or jogging pants should be worn. Others look at the stated code and believe that anything less than that is disrecpectful to the wishes of the host (the ship) and the expectations of fellow passengers. So everyone complies as they see fit ... on a more-or-less sliding scale.

A dress code is a dress code is a dress code. What's so hard about complying with it or vacationing where there isn't one?
Old March 5th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I don't have the occasion to dress up too often, marriages or funerals
I look forward to looking my best (which is not saying too much).
Formal night is a good thing. I hope it is not drop in the future.
Old March 5th, 2007, 04:04 PM
Cruise Maniac

Sorry Rita, have to disagree with you on this one.

To the OP. I must agree with Jim, I fell you and your grandchildren will be much happier on another line. Although HAL is attempting to attract families on the Vista class ships most of the long time cruisers don't care for small children on an elegant and beautiful HAL ship . JMHO
Old March 5th, 2007, 07:12 PM
Passenger

A cruise ship is a microcosm of a society, no? The cruise lines welcome all who pay their fare, do they not? Why do we not welcome children? They are a part of our society. That they are not made to feel welcome is sad.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

It's not all children who are not welcomed. It's those who are misbehaved and go running amok with no parental supervision.

We've cruised with young people who were very well behaved. But the more kids onboard, the odds are higher that you'll have many who wouldn't know what social graces and good behavior are if their survival depended upon it. They can make things unpleasant for other cruisers.
Old March 5th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Passenger

Children are welcome, and I love children HOWEVER I do not want to swim in a pool with anyones pee or worse so...........
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhannah
This is the crux of the issue with dress codes. Everyone has their own standard. Yours, Rita, is that no tee-shirts, jeans, or jogging pants should be worn. Others look at the stated code and believe that anything less than that is disrecpectful to the wishes of the host (the ship) and the expectations of fellow passengers. So everyone complies as they see fit ... on a more-or-less sliding scale.

A dress code is a dress code is a dress code. What's so hard about complying with it or vacationing where there isn't one?
Maybe I should have been more specific. Of course, on formal night, you wear something "dressy." But to me, "dressy" does not mean a cocktail dress or a gown. I wear a sparkley type top and a pair of velvet or other nice pants. To me, that's a "nod" in the direction of formal, while not being totally formal. Believe me, I look just as well dressed as a good 75% of those in the dining room ... but at least I am wearing something that works for me.

Sorry about the confusion I caused ...

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:08 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvrdude
What does one do with the "water" from the inflatable kiddie pool once Junior has had his fill of splashing around???
I would imagine you just scoop it out with the same bucket and toss it down the drain in the Lido pool area restroom. If you're in a balcony stateroom, the water can be dumped right in your own bathtub. The kiddie pool that I saw being used was pretty small. I don't think getting rid of the water would have been a problem.

Blue skies ...

--rita