Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Admiral

Default Art Auctions

Can't help but ask this ...

Has anyone actually purchased fine art onboard, and if so ... do you feel you got a fair deal?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default Yes and no...

I bought a cell that I thought was a decent price. You CAN get really good deals at the auctions, but it's good to go into having some idea of prices and set yourself a limit.

You can preview everything beforehand and make note of what you might like to buy. When they auction, they oftentimes will have a winning bid and then say "anyone else want it for this price, raise your hand". Gives you a second chance if you really wanted it.

Don't forget to think about shipping - the price was very reasonable, but you need to figure that into your auction price.

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 5th, 2007, 06:50 PM
Admiral

I just go there for the free wine.
Old March 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
First Mate

Acouple of months ago there was a major article in the newspaper on art sold on various cruise lines and that being not what was claimed to be in what you purchased and it involved a large amt of false prints.The item indicated that you would be better off buying from a reputable art galery if you are buying high priced items.Did anyone else read this article?
Old March 6th, 2007, 12:20 AM
Admiral

We have loved all the pieces we bought but only from Park West Galleries. I didn't like what the other galleries offered or how they were presented.

#36-Carnival Splendor 9/16/12
7 night Mexican Riviera
Retirement Celebration

#37-Allure of the Seas 11/11/12
7 night Eastern Caribbean

#38-Celebrity Solstice 4/8/13
17 night Tahiti -- Sydney-Honolulu
40th Anniversary Celebration

270 days at see; soon to be 302
Old March 6th, 2007, 01:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Yes, Park West Galleries is the one I bought from too.

(no text)

RCCL Splendour of the Seas, Western Caribbean (Cozumel/Costa Maya), May 2007

Princess Diamond, Mexican Riviera (Puerto Vallarta/Mazatlan/Cabo San Lucas), Sep 2006

Carnival Paradise, Catalina Island/Ensenada BC, Jun 2011

Caribbean Princess, Cozumel/Roatan/Belize, Jan 2014
Old March 6th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Cruise Maniac

I think the art galleries are a royal pain in the you know what. They block up the corridors, and take away from the elegance of the ship. It looks like a yard sale when they parade all the art all over the ocean bar and walkways.

Now I do have a lovely signed and numbered lithograph. It was a gift from another pax and I love it. I thought it was overprived and wouldn't have purchased it myself, but I accepted the gift with great pleasure.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:00 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to jhannah

I don't care for the art "gallery." Never was interested in a thing. Don't even go for the champagne. We have purchased a couple of pieces on shore from artists whose work we liked. But I'd not be inclined to get any of that "manufactured" stuff they sell on ships.
Old March 6th, 2007, 10:22 AM
Cruise Maniac

Personally, I find the art auctions to be a bit scammy. They do have some nice things sometimes, but the prices generally go above what you could buy the same piece at a local gallery for. I suppose there are deals to be had, but they seem few and far between. But, then again, I live by the maxim; if you like it and you want it and you can afford it, then buy it. Everything has a different value to different folks.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam
Old March 6th, 2007, 02:36 PM
Passenger

No, I'm not a fan of the art auctions, either. Admittedly, I am an art snob and I am a member of our local art museum and serve on the Board of Directors of the ladies' auxiliary at the museum. I am pretty choosy about my art work and simply never see anything that I really like.

That being said, one of the reasons that I love Holland America is because of the art and sculpture on permanent display throughout the ship. It is a real pleasure to spend some of my vacation looking at the art work that is part of the ship.

Have a great day!
Julia
Old March 6th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

No offense to Holland America or anyone else, but I think art galleries in general are a bit "scammy" in the sense that they all try to give tyou the impression you are buying something that could conceivably become a valuable investment, when the truth is that is almost never the case.

The gallery that sold the cruise line the "fake" art was NOT Park West, it was another gallery only in place on Princess Ships. Princess claims it was duped as well, and is giving refunds, but the what the gallery did was make additonal, unauthorized "limited" runs of artist's work, without permission, and then did not tell the buyers there were more than being advertised, and did not pay royalties to the artist. It is in CruiseMates news.

I personally think that is bad news, and I would prefer if the lines just cooled their jets. OK, have the art auction, but don't make it a full-time event. Tone it down a little, and be more honest about what you are selling. These are mostly glorified posters, not "art."
Old March 6th, 2007, 07:26 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
OK, have the art auction, but don't make it a full-time event. Tone it down a little, and be more honest about what you are selling. These are mostly glorified posters, not "art."
I hate to say it, but they are not about to tone it down ... in fact, if anything they'll heat it up.

I happened to be sitting in the Ocean Bar on my last cruise and got to "listen in" to a conversation taking place between two Park West employees at the table behind me. They were talking about a couple of "big spenders" onboard the cruise and how they set up private consultations with them and "motivate" them to buy more pieces. They were talking about the best ways to "motivate" each one based on his personality. I found the conversation enlightening ... though I was frankly surprised they would have it in a public place like the Ocean Bar. Those Park West folks get nice commissions on the pieces they sell ... so they are out each and every cruise to sell as much as they can.

Frankly, I can't help but wonder if one could get a better deal at a reputable gallery back home ... especially if they developed a "long-term" relationship with the operation.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 7th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Frankly, I can't help but wonder if one could get a better deal at a reputable gallery back home ... especially if they developed a "long-term" relationship with the operation.
Absolutely. Land based art galleries are not working with a captive customer base. Especially one who is on vacation and having fun spending money. They have to get customers the old fashioned way, by earning them. And its vital for them to keep the customers they have earned by being honest and not ripping them off. They dont have the advantage of a new set of unsuspecting customers with loose wallets every week.

In my opinion, if your looking to buy art, your best place to shop is a local gallery. Visit many and find one who has what you like and you are comfortable with. Establish a relationship and you will get fair prices.

Tim

Western Caribbean - Holland America Westerdam

Alaska Explorer - Holland America Westerdam