Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 6th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Admiral

Default Maasdam`s safe

On the maasdam, is the room safe lock a credit card release or a
combination lock release.
Sponsored Links
Old March 6th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Cruise Maniac

You may use any card with a mag strip, we use a library card.
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:43 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusin' fool
You may use any card with a mag strip, we use a library card.
They still have HAL safes that operate like that? I would have thought they would have upgraded all of them when they did the Signature of Excellence upgrades. Carrying a credit card around with you is a pain in the you know what. I much prefer the combination type locks. I have a certain code that is very, very familiar to me ... has a special meaning. I can never possibly forget it.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 7th, 2007, 09:20 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

You can use your room key, can't you? you have to carry that around anyway. Or you can use another card and just hide it in your luggage.

In speaking to the hotel manager on the Westerdam I learned the stewards have a directive never to go into the drawers of any stateroom. Of course we don't live in a perfect world, but personally I never even bother with the safes.
Old March 7th, 2007, 10:05 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
You can use your room key, can't you? you have to carry that around anyway. Or you can use another card and just hide it in your luggage.

In speaking to the hotel manager on the Westerdam I learned the stewards have a directive never to go into the drawers of any stateroom. Of course we don't live in a perfect world, but personally I never even bother with the safes.
No you can't use your room key to open the safes. I believe the Maasdam still has the type of safe where you have to use a card with a magnetic strip. We used an old expired credit card when we were on the Veendam. It's a pain to have to carry around another card.

I believe only the Vista ships have the type of safe where you key in a combination number. It's so much easier than carrying around another card.
Old March 7th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Captain

Safes on Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam and Veendam all require the use of a magnetic strip card. What's the big deal? I use an old department store credit card from a store that is out of business. That allows us to lock all our valid cards in the safe.

The key card cannot be used for safey reasons. Your name is on your ship's ID card and if lost, it is conceivable someone finding it could learn the cabin number and use that card.

I don't see any big deal about using a separate card for the safe or reason they should have wasted money converting perfectly good safes into a keypad system. Be creative. It isn't like you have some heavy key ring to carry. It's a slim credit card. If you don't care to carry it, be creative about finding a place to put it in your cabin. There are any number of 'safe' places to leave it in your cabin.
Old March 10th, 2007, 03:13 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
If you don't care to carry it, be creative about finding a place to put it in your cabin. There are any number of 'safe' places to leave it in your cabin.
I'll be honest ... I overlooked the obvious. Just use an out-of-date credit card and then it's no big deal to leave it hidden in the cabin. I was "assuming" just using a credit card ... or my ATM card ... and wouldn't want to leave that unsecured in the cabin.

While I still prefer the combination lock system, I guess you make a good point about the waste in converting all the safes on those ships.

Blue skies ...

--rita