Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 8th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via Yahoo to SakeDad
Default Anytime Dining on the Noordam

OK....just had my TA confirm that I am "anytime dining" on the Noordam for my 5/20 Alaska cruise. This is good in case mom decides she's tired and wants to eat early, or we are running late and then don't have to rush. We can eat in the main dining room anytime between 5:30pm and 9pm. Beats being forced to eat room service or in the Lido if we missed our assigned seating.
NCL Star Repo Aft Cabin 10730 4/24/08
Holland America Noordam Suite SA7086 - Alaska 5/20/07
Monarch of the Seas April '06 JS1580 Ensenada
Victoria Empress Cabin 235, Yangtze River China, 10/05
Windjammer Barefoot, Grenadines (Gay Group)Admirals Cabin, Mandalay 8/02
See my Cruise Photos at www.sakedad.smugmug.com
Sponsored Links
Old March 8th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Anytime Dining on the Noordam

Quote:
Originally Posted by SakeDad
OK....just had my TA confirm that I am "anytime dining" on the Noordam for my 5/20 Alaska cruise. This is good in case mom decides she's tired and wants to eat early, or we are running late and then don't have to rush. We can eat in the main dining room anytime between 5:30pm and 9pm. Beats being forced to eat room service or in the Lido if we missed our assigned seating.
A lot of people appreciate this flexibility. I think the dining is called "As You Wish" Dining on HAL. Be aware, though, that you will not have the same waitstaff every night, nor will you have the same tablemates (should you be willing to dine at a larger table with others). You could always request a table just for your party, but then it is possible that you could have to wait for a bit for one to become available.

I myself prefer traditional dining because of the comradrie of the same tablemates throughout the cruise. But more and more people are leaning towards flexible dining these days and I guess that's why HAL is offering it.

Blue skies and enjoy your cruise!

--rita
Old March 9th, 2007, 12:23 AM
Familiar Face

Well, with HAL already charging $10.00 tip per day per pax at least I know my waiters will be taken care of. And if we meet a group or others we want to dine with we'll make sure to let the maitre'd know well in advance and tip him to get us together. Hopefully this will all work out. Of course, since it's all brand new no one really knows yet. You can BET I'll be posting a full review and special attention given to the dining arrangements.
Old March 9th, 2007, 02:23 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Well, with HAL already charging $10.00 tip per day per pax at least I know my waiters will be taken care of. And if we meet a group or others we want to dine with we'll make sure to let the maitre'd know well in advance and tip him to get us together. Hopefully this will all work out. Of course, since it's all brand new no one really knows yet. You can BET I'll be posting a full review and special attention given to the dining arrangements.
And I for one will be looking very much forward to reading your review. I've never sailed the Noordam, nor experienced the "As You Wish" Dining concept.

Funny you would mention the tip. In some respects, this new dining concept is gonna really save passengers on tipping additional. If you have different waiters every night, you're not likely to give them anything extra at the end of the week. At least I know I wouldn't. So, this new dining concept is gonna pretty much leave the waiters with an auto-tip and nothing more. Good for the passengers, bad for the wait staff.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 9th, 2007, 03:56 AM
Familiar Face

I couldn't agree more, Rita!!! I'm going to try to find out how the waitstaff feels about all of this as well. Although it may be too early when I'm on to get a fair assessment. I will still tip any waiter that makes it special for me. I can always find them through the maitre'd
Old March 9th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, Rita!!! I'm going to try to find out how the waitstaff feels about all of this as well. Although it may be too early when I'm on to get a fair assessment. I will still tip any waiter that makes it special for me. I can always find them through the maitre'd
I think you are right, it may be too early. I think it takes time to adjust to changes.

A year from now would be a better time to learn how the passengers and the crew like the changes. I remember when NCL started "freestyle" it was not popular at all. The same with "Personal choice" on Princess, Now people choose those lines for the flexibility alone. NMnita