Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 18th, 2007, 11:39 AM
Passenger

Rita was right! Just received a note from HA Corp & they now refer to "AT" as a "Hotel Service Charge".

I asked them about a 15 month old baby & the "AT". The answer, no surprise, EVERYONE pays the $10.00 "Hotel Service Charge". Much like the previous "AT" this charge can also be changed or eliminated at any time by the passenger.
Old March 25th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Passenger

Well here's my decision. After giving this "AT" dilemma more thought & time than it's probably worth. I've decided to stop the "AT".

My reasoning is really very simple. On one level I don't like the idea of an automatic tip in any envoirnment. I'm uncomfortable in a restaurant that adds 18% to my bill. I usually tip at least 20% but the very fact that this is now preordained by management doesn't sit well with me.

Secondly, I really enjoy the personal touch that's gleaned from handing someone a tip & discussing their specific performance. I believe this becomes a win-win setting for all involved.

Thirdly, our personal liberties as citizens continue to erode in a silent & insideous manner. Part due to the world we now live in. The other part due, IMO, to the fact that we simply & compliantly accept what "corporations" tell us too.

Since HA readily states that "AT" can be cancelled. I think I'll take them up on that option. Since all the tips will eventually be shared, I don't see any material reason not too.

Once again, thanks to everyone who thoughtfully weighed in on this issue. Much appreciated!
Old March 25th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmhealth
Since HA readily states that "AT" can be cancelled. I think I'll take them up on that option. Since all the tips will eventually be shared, I don't see any material reason not too.
As I said originally, you should definitely go with what your heart tells you. If that is to cancel the auto-tip, then by all means do that.

The only thing I worry about is that HAL allows us to adjust the auto-tip FOR NOW. What's gonna happen though when they go the way of NCLA and categorize it as a non-removable "resort fee?" Then we're certainly gonna lose this freedom.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
Admiral

They say that you can adjust it up and or cancel it all together.
when you try to do it, they really give you a dirty look. I saw somebody
try on my last cruise. the lady was very rude to the passenger when she ask to cancel it.
Old March 26th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by earl
They say that you can adjust it up and or cancel it all together.
when you try to do it, they really give you a dirty look. I saw somebody
try on my last cruise. the lady was very rude to the passenger when she ask to cancel it.
They definitely don't like the auto-tip taken off. Even in the old days ... when HAL advertised that no tipping was required, they made it very, very difficult to "stiff" anyone. The cabin stewards were "in your face" the last day of the cruise with their hands out. HAL closed all of the alternative dining venues on the last night of the cruise, thus forcing people to go to the dining room if they wanted to eat ... where the waiters would have their hands out as well. It was very, very embarrassing to not tip ... believe me. I had a cabinmate on my first HAL cruise who tried it.

I don't doubt that at some point in the not-to-distant future, HAL will just classify the auto-tip as a "resort fee" and you won't have the ability to reduce or eliminate it ... just as many hotel properties have been doing for years.

Blue skies ...

--rita