Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Lines (Mainstream) > Holland America
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 12th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Admiral

Default Romance on the High Seas?????

You see it in the movies ... it's the subject of romance novels ... but have you ever seen it in real life?

Do you think it's really possible to meet the love of your life on a cruise?

Now, I'm not talking crew here ... I'm talking passengers. Ever hear of, or know of, anyone who met their significant other on a cruise ship?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Sponsored Links
Old March 12th, 2007, 03:45 PM
Admiral

I met a girl on the Volendam a couple of years.We met at supper
on the first nite . we had a great time for ten days. But she live in Germany and I live in Canada. We e-mail alot at first but after a while
we stop. too much of a distance apart. At least we enjoy the cruise together
Old March 12th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Passenger

Yes, my Aunt met her husband on a Hal ship.
Old March 12th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by westie
Yes, my Aunt met her husband on a Hal ship.
No kidding? Were they both passengers?

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 12th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Captain

Captain Stephen Card met his dear wife Ruth on the old Rotterdam after she left HAL's fleet and went to Big Red Boat.
Old March 13th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Beginner

Ah...the memories! Many years ago on the old Skyward, I met a lovely girl (passenger) and, since both our cabins where occupied, we talked an agreeable room steward into letting us use his large linen storage closet from time to time during the week........but, that's enough of that.

I expect there have been many wonderful romantic introductions at sea.
Old March 13th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail7seas
Captain Stephen Card met his dear wife Ruth on the old Rotterdam after she left HAL's fleet and went to Big Red Boat.
Wow! I'll have to ask him about that on the QE2 next month. Sounds like a great story.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 15th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am sure it has happened, since there are about 50 singles cruises chartered every year. I mean some group takes several cabins and puts roommates together (same sex) but has plenty of activities for the group on board to get to know each other.

But what broke my heart one time was seeing a guy on one of these cruises who was very depressed, young (only about 35) who was talking to me about how lonely he was and if he didn't meet his true love on the cruise he was on he "didn't know what he was going to do."

(FYI, I was noti n the group, I was just talking to him). I felt sorry for him because no matter what, cruising is largely a couples or family activity, and if you are single it is very easy to feel left out.

My point is that if you are depressed and single, going solo on a cruise could be a not very wise idea - unless you think seeing a lot of other romantic couples will make you feel better (not likely). Even going on a singles cruise, I recommend you keep your expectations in check. There are no guarantees.
Old March 15th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter
My point is that if you are depressed and single, going solo on a cruise could be a not very wise idea - unless you think seeing a lot of other romantic couples will make you feel better (not likely). Even going on a singles cruise, I recommend you keep your expectations in check. There are no guarantees.
And I think that is excellent advice. Singles cruises are certainly nice, and they can be fun, but at least in my limited experience I find that they are the last place you are gonna meet lifelong friends and significant others. People are on the cruise to have fun for a week ... to meet new people ... share laughs and good times with them. When the cruise is over, they bid each other farewell, and probably never see or talk to each other again. They go back to their "real lives" in all different parts of the country, and beyond.

Now if you want to meet someone ... even if just a lifelong friend ... I say take an "extended voyage," if you are able. On those voyages, you are able to not just meet people, but even get to know them a bit as well. The longer voyages have more days at sea, and it is precisely those sorts of days that lend themselves to getting to know people well enough to want to keep in touch after you get home.

I have thus far been on two cruises where I met friends who I still keep in touch with today. In fact, on my 30-day Hawaii/South Pacific trip, I met a couple who I am blessed to call good friends today ... despite the fact that we live on opposite sides of the country. We keep in touch almost daily by email, and talk on the phone at least once every other week. That is because we had plenty of opportunities to become good friends onboard ... during all the sea days that voyage offered.

So, if you're looking for a week of laughter and fun, a singles cruise might be just the ticket. But if you're looking to form lifelong relationships, I say your best chance is on a voyage of 25 to 30 days ... or even more.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Admiral

As a single who travels solo, I don't expect to meet Ms right. If I did have expectations, I would leave very disappointed. Cruises are basically about couples, with or without children, so the "Love Boat" on TV has mislead quit a few in thinking that cruises are indeed love boats.
I go to have a good time and while I enjoy the company of new friends, I do realize when the ship debarks that's over.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old March 16th, 2007, 02:15 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoth
I go to have a good time and while I enjoy the company of new friends, I do realize when the ship debarks that's over.
Oh, but I so hate to see a nice friendship end!

I've never gone on a cruise with the idea of meeting Mr. Right. If I wanted to do that, there are better venues close to home to make that happen. But, especially on longer cruises, I do go with the hope of making at least one new friend ... a friend who will remain so long after the cruise is over, even if the friendship can only be carried on via email or phone ... perhaps due to distance.

So far, I've been very, very lucky and have achieved this goal. I have a couple of friends today that I keep in tuoch with ... at least on a "semi" regular basis ... who I met on the high seas.

So it can happen.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 16th, 2007, 11:32 AM
Admiral

Generally when I travel it is for adventure, not romance. Have seen other solos in adventue, get-away-from-it-all and recovery mode (widows/widowers). Most of my experience is HAL, which is heavily older couples. HAL is not for the Cruising for Romance folk - and Captain Card's experience is a rare exception. That said there are lines positioned for the Cruising for Romance set with low-to-no single supplements and a younger, more active passenger manifest.

BTW, wasn't Card on the Rotterdam cc 1987?

Quote:
Cruises are basically about couples, with or without children, so the "Love Boat" on TV has mislead quit a few in thinking that cruises are indeed love boats.
Quote:
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 16th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster

Quote:

Captain Card sails HAL ships very frequently.....obviously.

I am sure it's very likely he was on Rotterdam in 1987....possibly a number of times. He has always loved that ship. That is why he sailed her when she left HAL's fleet and became Rembrandt...where he met his lovely wife. (A great story, by the way. )
Old March 16th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Admiral

I'll have to check my program guides from when I was aboard her as a guest lecturer for 10 days in October '87. The old Rotterdam remains my favorite ship. 8)

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Captain Card sails HAL ships very frequently.....obviously.

I am sure it's very likely he was on Rotterdam in 1987....possibly a number of times. He has always loved that ship. That is why he sailed her when she left HAL's fleet and became Rembrandt...where he met his lovely wife. (A great story, by the way. )
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old March 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM
Captain

You're talking TWENTY years ago!!! How times flies.

You know who I mean, don't you? He never worked as a Captain aboard HAL ships, to the best of my knowledge. Actually, I'm quite sure he never did.
Old March 16th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Admiral

You are right about Card, it was Menke at the helm in '87. Always was under the impression that Card had worked for HAL, but it appears now only as an artist.

Twenty years flies by - in just 8 years my kiddo will celebrate 20 years of cruising. The first trip he was a stowaway. 8)

Quote:
You're talking TWENTY years ago!!! How times flies.

You know who I mean, don't you? He never worked as a Captain aboard HAL ships, to the best of my knowledge. Actually, I'm quite sure he never did.
Old March 17th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Admiral

[quote="sail7seasYou know who I mean, don't you? He never worked as a Captain aboard HAL ships, to the best of my knowledge. Actually, I'm quite sure he never did.[/quote]
I think Stephen Card may have been an artist employed sporadically by HAL, but I wasn't aware of him ever being a captain or other officer aboard HAL.

I am so disappointed. I was supposed to meet him on my TransAtlantic cruise on the QE2 in a few weeks, but his plans changed and now he isn't getting on until the day I get off in New York City.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 17th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
I think Stephen Card may have been an artist employed sporadically by HAL, but I wasn't aware of him ever being a captain or other officer aboard HAL.

I am so disappointed. I was supposed to meet him on my TransAtlantic cruise on the QE2 in a few weeks, but his plans changed and now he isn't getting on until the day I get off in New York City.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Rita.....

Surely during your time on HAL ships you have noticed the fabulous ship's paintings? Nothing 'past tense' and 'sporadic' about Captain Card's association with HAL.

Since (the current) Statendam, Stephen Card has painted for each new ship and his wonderful works hang in the stairwells of each and every HAL ship. Every ship's painting, are carefully planned and commissioned from Captain Card. Take the time on your Veendam cruise to view his fabulous work. You will love it, I'm quite sure. He is currently planning/working on paintings for Eurodam.

It's a great story how it came to be that he paints for HAL.

Captain Card was once Harbor Master of Bermuda and spent years at sea as Master on Commercial Shipping Vessels. I think he only briefly was Captain on a Passenger Vessel......I'm vague about a brief stint doing that.
He is so incredibly knowledgeable about ships/shipping companies that it's mind blowing the extent of his historical knowledge.On top of all that, he is a most delightful gentleman with fabulous humor.

He was never a Captain for HAL.
Old March 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Captain Card was once Harbor Master of Bermuda and spent years at sea as Master on Commercial Shipping Vessels. I think he only briefly was Captain on a Passenger Vessel......I'm vague about a brief stint doing that.
He is so incredibly knowledgeable about ships/shipping companies that it's mind blowing the extent of his historical knowledge.On top of all that, he is a most delightful gentleman with fabulous humor.
Thanks for the insights into the person and works of Captain Card. I didn't know much about him other than he was a gifted painter of maritime subjects. I will definitely take the time to check out his paintings on the Veendam. I think he might have some on the QE2 as well. I only wish I was going to have the opportunity to meet him, as I thought I would. But, maybe another day ... another cruise.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Admiral

[quote="kryos Oh, but I so hate to see a nice friendship end!

--rita[/quote]
I do too ! Every time I meet these wonderful people for a week then depart never to see any of them again. It's intriguing how paths cross once in life. It would seem that cruise ship passengers tend to be kindred spirits who pass like ...well...ships in the night.

/ticker.png">
Old March 18th, 2007, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Quote:
I do too ! Every time I meet these wonderful people for a week then depart never to see any of them again. It's intriguing how paths cross once in life. It would seem that cruise ship passengers tend to be kindred spirits who pass like ...well...ships in the night.
It is amazing to me how people can become so close during a cruise voyage ... especially a longer one ... and then never want to keep in touch ... even if only by email ... afterwards. I have become very friendly with some people onboard who never even bothered to answer my emails once the cruise was over.

But I guess some people just have very busy lives and have little time to continue a "mere" cruise friendship.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 20th, 2007, 03:09 AM
Admiral

[quote="kryos"]
Quote:
It is amazing to me how people can become so close during a cruise voyage ... especially a longer one ... and then never want to keep in touch ... even if only by email ... afterwards. I have become very friendly with some people onboard who never even bothered to answer my emails once the cruise was over.

But I guess some people just have very busy lives and have little time to continue a "mere" cruise friendship.

Blue skies ...

Same here They say...
"Yea yeah, oh sure I'll E-Mail you as soon as I get home."
OR " give me your address so I can write to you".
never hear from them again. !!
I write to them, and they never write back so I get to thinking that maybe they were only pretending to like me. So why pretend? I respect genuineness and sincerity in people.

/ticker.png">
Old March 21st, 2007, 05:16 AM
Admiral

See the same with my genealogy work - have been in contact with many thousands of my kiddo's kin, but most for a few minutes. However, sometimes we end up in contact again after as many as 10 years have passed. Do see some fellow cruisers on occasion, but there are about 5 times more of us out there than say 20 years ago, and we are more spread out among all the fleets.

Quote:
Every time I meet these wonderful people for a week then depart never to see any of them again. It's intriguing how paths cross once in life. It would seem that cruise ship passengers tend to be kindred spirits who pass like ...well...ships in the night.
Old March 21st, 2007, 11:10 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Same here They say...
I write to them, and they never write back so I get to thinking that maybe they were only pretending to like me. So why pretend? I respect genuineness and sincerity in people.
I honestly don't think it's a lack of sincerity. I think those people honestly do plan to keep in touch ... their intentions are good. But, alas ... a lot of us lead very busy lives and I think it's very easy to say ... "oh, yes ... definitely we'll keep in touch" ... and then they get home and back into their crazy lives. All good intentions go flying out the window.

But that's not always the case. Like I've said before, I've met people on cruises that I've become pretty close to ... at least as close as distance will allow. One individual I met back in 2004 I took a subsequent cruise with ... sharing a cabin. The arrangement worked out so great that we're doing the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise next January in another shared cabin. Another couple I met on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in 2006 have become dear friends. We communicate almost daily via email and every couple of weeks by phone. I'll get to spend 30 more days with them on the 2008 Hawaii/South Pacific cruise.

Yet, like you, there were some people who I hit it off really great with on a cruise, only to lose touch with them after getting home. Like I said, I can only assume their lives are very busy and they just don't have the time to maintain "casual" friendships with former cruise buddies. And that's okay. I enjoyed their companionship onboard and can be grateful for that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:30 AM
Admiral

Quote:
See the same with my genealogy work - have been in contact with many thousands of my kiddo's kin, but most for a few minutes. However, sometimes we end up in contact again after as many as 10 years have passed. Do see some fellow cruisers on occasion, but there are about 5 times more of us out there than say 20 years ago, and we are more spread out among all the fleets.

Quote:
Every time I meet these wonderful people for a week then depart never to see any of them again. It's intriguing how paths cross once in life. It would seem that cruise ship passengers tend to be kindred spirits who pass like ...well...ships in the night.
It must be neat to meet these long lost relatives! 8) genealogy is a off and on hobby of mine as well.

/ticker.png">
Old March 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryos
Quote:
Same here They say...
I honestly don't think it's a lack of sincerity. I think those people honestly do plan to keep in touch ... their intentions are good. But, alas ... a lot of us lead very busy lives and I think it's very easy to say ... "oh, yes ... definitely we'll keep in touch" ... and then they get home and back into their crazy lives. All good intentions go flying out the window.

But that's not always the case. Like I've said before, I've met people on cruises that I've become pretty close to ... at least as close as distance will allow. One individual I met back in 2004 I took a subsequent cruise with ... sharing a cabin. The arrangement worked out so great that we're doing the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise next January in another shared cabin. Another couple I met on the Hawaii/South Pacific cruise in 2006 have become dear friends. We communicate almost daily via email and every couple of weeks by phone. I'll get to spend 30 more days with them on the 2008 Hawaii/South Pacific cruise.

Yet, like you, there were some people who I hit it off really great with on a cruise, only to lose touch with them after getting home. Like I said, I can only assume their lives are very busy and they just don't have the time to maintain "casual" friendships with former cruise buddies. And that's okay. I enjoyed their companionship onboard and can be grateful for that.

Blue skies ...

--rita
You are probably correct, good intentions without follow up.

/ticker.png">
Old July 21st, 2007, 12:13 AM
Beginner

Many years ago I met my lovely wife on an NCL (don't remember the ship) on Caribean Cruise. It was my 3hird and her first cruise. We had both booked through a travel agency called SingleWorld. We connected the last night of the cruise. We exchanged Phone #s before we disembarked. She lived in SE Michigan and I lived in Houston. I flew up there 2 weeks later for weekend. She flew to Houston 2 weeks after that. I flew up there again 2 weeks later. On last day there I proposed, she accepted and we flew to Vegas the following weekend and got married.

That was 23 yeers ago, We are still married, living in Houston, have a lovely 15 year old daughter.

No cruises since but we have travelled much of the US, England, Hong Kong and Australia over the years.

We leave Sunday for the July 29 Statendam - Vancouver to Alaska cruise.

So sometimes cruise romances do happen.

True story.
TallCruiser.

Statendam - July 29 2007
Old July 21st, 2007, 08:28 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcruiser
Many years ago I met my lovely wife on an NCL (don't remember the ship) on Caribean Cruise.
What a wonderful story! You are right ... romances do happen and obviously you scored bigtime on your long ago cruise.

But sadly, it doesn't happen too often ... though your story can certainly give others hope!

Blue skies and enjoy your upcoming cruise!

--rita
Old July 30th, 2007, 10:42 AM
Passenger

Absolutely. I met my husband a retired naval officer on a Princess cruise to Alaska. We have been married two glorious years. I was a widow with grown children and grandkids. Match made in heaven.
Old August 8th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Passenger

My daughter, then 15, met a wonderful fellow and his large family on a cruise, 4 years ago. Both families became good friends and we have sailed together, many times.

I flew out with her to attend his highschool prom on the QM in Long Beach. They managed to keep the sparks alive for 3 years, despite a 3000 mile difference. Young love.....